Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Starting with 20 minute pranayama harmful ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeweledyouthking

India
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  12:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

My query is regarding Pranayama. Basically I am 26 years old and i recite mantras loudly everyday since past 4 weeks. So i recite a mantra exhaling and inhale deeply to recite the mantra again with the next exhalation of breath. So my mantra japa is similar to pranayam. I do it for 20 minutes daily but i have observed that i get tired and my body feels choked with air and aches too. I have read that doing excessive pranayama can damage the body. So i want to know that was it okay to start with 20 minutes of pranayama or was that too much ? Have i harmed my body and can the damage be repaired ? Please suggest ways to recover any nervous damages or any other damages that could have been incurred due to this.

Please Help. I will be highly grateful.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  09:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are doing too much. The body should not feel chocked.. it should feel energized after pranayama.

The thing is though, I am not familiar with the technique you are talking about.

We do not recommend doing pranayama with a mantra.... We recommend doing 10 min of spinal breathing pranayama http://www.aypsite.org/41.html followed by 20 min of deep meditation http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

The pranayama will energize the body and the meditation will cultivate stillness... you know the prana/shakti and the Shiva/stillness aspects of us.
Since you have just started out and have not yet settled into any practices, why don't you give AYP a try. Read from here and see if the writings resonate with you http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

Wish you all the best in your chosen path.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  11:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree with Shanti above. we do pranayama less forcefully and with the attention on prana, and both directions. Also our mantra is not said out loud, and is separated from pranayama. So the way you are doing it can cause unbalance both from speaking out loud and from the resulting emphasis on exhalation.
The good news is that if you follow Shanti's advice recovery should be very fast.
Go to Top of Page

jeweledyouthking

India
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  2:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for your help Shanti and Etherfish. I will give it a read and see if it resonates with me. Will post further queries if i have any.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  7:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As an addition, the damage is no problem for your system. Relax some days and it is fine again.

When it comes to efficient working spiritual practices, the best is always to look after people who have done practices and with what kind of results.

There are some good approaches, AYP being surely one of them. There are also infinite random-style practices created from xy people on the net with exactly so-so results.

Your age is still perfect for the best of practices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000