Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 How to remain silent in Samyama?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  5:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In Samayama we need to be 15 seconds in silence between Sutras.

How to stay in Silence? I understand it is doing nothing but it is pretty hard to understand it in practice. What kind of mindset helps us in staying in silence better?

By mindset,I mean things like these

- Concentrate on or Feel the silence moment and try to maintain it
- Feel like you are open and ready to absorb/recieve
- Any other ways

- Near

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nearoanoke

I just completely let go after releasing the sutra. No mindset required. If any thoughts etc arise just let them, and after 15 seconds repeat.

I wouldn't try and maintain the silence, because you are forcing yourself to do so. You will be stuck on focusing on silence, and so will not be letting go completely. Don't think I am making much sense... The unexplainable is hard to explain!
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  7:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nearoanoke

The practice of Samyama is for moving the inner silence cultivated in deep meditation outwards into manifestation. This is why we do Samyama following DM. We are taking the Silence we cultivated in DM (however much that is) and moving it outwards. At first it will be difficult to maintain a silent mind for 15 seconds, but as the accumulated effects of DM build up in the nervous system over the years, the amount of silent time between sutras will lengthen. At least that is my experience. We don't worry about how silent the mind is between the sutras, we just drop the sutra into silence, wait 15 seconds and repeat. There is no need to try and "maintain silence" between the sutras.... the amount of silence between the sutras will naturally lengthen over time.

Hope this was helpful.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  8:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

I'm just starting to add Samayama to my daily practice.
Thank you so much for sharing your personal insights into the practice, as it gives me a little more ammo as to how i should proceed.
For me, it has taken a few years of practicing DM to get to this stage of adding Samayama but what a great investment those few years have been.
It's impossible for me to express how grateful i am for what AYP has given me. Starting with peace of mind. Just ask my wife and son.

Guy
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  2:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies Carson, Woosa and Guy

The mantra becoming subtler and subtler in DM seems to be the key. I knew that but somehow overlooked that earlier. In todays session as I started doing that, I felt the "inner silence" which got carried into the samyama as well.

The mantra became like just a "subtle jerk or movement" and it was very calm inside and my mind felt cool. That cooling feeling as well as calmness is what I am calling silence. Not sure if that's it

Samyama was different. The silence remained. I didnt have to do anythin to maintain it. I had no fear I would get lost in thoughts. Thoughts were still there occasionally but not sticky ones. This "charm" though faded off slowly and for the last two sutras I didnt have this perfect silence.

- Near
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  4:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nearoanke,

I have'nt done Samayama regularly at least for a while which reminds me i might re-visit(like after DM perhaps).I've done or used more a free-style form or version of it. It is such a cool little practice i think.Though i think it is somewhat dependent on inner silence cultivated in DM to do it and get effect.Also the free-stle version of ot i've done outside of formal practice/sitting,INDEED this is when i've tended to use it or do it as such, is probably not formal AYP sitting Samyama with the sutras a such. . I've done when i've got annoyed even or perhaps something bothers me just a little . ..like to drop an emotion or when something has occurred that has bothered you a little usually something someone said recently( and so while the emotion or mental noise is still there)OR just to relax or let go/release but you need to let this go- this resultant emotion, or reaction you have taken to something/some event etc.. By the way this is not strcitly ayp, i.e formal samayam...perhaps getting more sophisticated ...becaause you're not in meditative state or sitting all comfortable or so you hope as such. Though it's not any more difficult.( you can do it while watching T.V say or a few minutes after someone annoying you say)

BUT this is how i do it just in case you're curious how one might do it:-

I take the faintest feeling ( or vague emotion,psycho-physical energy)associated with a sutra and then simply let this go, just like that,almost on the same breath. It is BEFORE the mind has got hold of it and turned it---> usually into an idea, or something of the mind, a construct or machination, if that makes any sense.I've never read the book to the right of this page but it made sense and intuitive.Although i've read some posts here on the forum sure.

You can drop or let go virtually anything although the formal practice is the sutra list in the lessons.Think of it as the opposite of DM. You introduce a faint psycho-physical energy or vibration on the level of Consciousness, that introduces itself uconsciously, then simply drop it.Or with sutras it's what you are associating with any given sutra( before it crystalises as a "thought" as such in the mind;rather, it's the assoicated emotion,feeling or vibration)

It is a very delicate litle business(like DM at least sometimes) but you don't reaaly need to force anything or move big energies or anything like that. It is alot more subtle than that.

It's a good practice after DM because it helps connect the inner worlds with the outer worlds even though philosophically one is told there is no such division.As Carson says it helps the inner siilence cultivated in DM manifest "out" there.Miracles supposedly happen this way; i.e things my look auspicious but maybe the result of the effects of Samayama.Good things seem to happen when you do it. Italso helps to bridge any gaps between the inner silence and out there and can releive you of any feelings of separation and disconnect you might feel when the well of inner silence has'nt quite spread it's tentacles out there.

Once you have inner silence you should develop an inutitive understanding of the subtle dynamics involved in samyama without having read any of the lessons on it. Other wise it could be a little hard to explain.

It does'nt matter if there is inner silence there or you think perhaps there is'nt enough,as it will do it's thing as long as you just foolow the procedure;simply feel and let go of whatever it is or may be,i.e release....into the void or inner silence you have already resident cultivated through DM.

I hope this makes sense.It is quite a subtle process but it is effective.It works.

Edited by - Akasha on Apr 16 2011 4:51:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  4:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way , that free-style version (of Samayama, if you could call it that, but the dynamics or process would certainly appear to be the same) i referred to you can do practically ANYWHERE..in almost any situation.....more or less(with people, watching T.V etc etc)

.....that is partly the beauty of it.

Edited by - Akasha on Apr 16 2011 4:57:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

escapado

Germany
88 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  10:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear nearanoke,
you don't have to do this or that and there is not ONE way to do it. Just drop the word and let it flow in you just let it go. It's best if you don't even intend to do samyama but if you just do it. But htat's not something you can do - you do it anyway or you don't you can't like force it or anything like that.

I found out that it is a pretty powerful technique but I came across it by - once again - coincidence :D
In this context: It will come to you when you need it anyway but if you want to add it as enhancement to your AYPractices - slow down because if you do something do it right
- and you will get it more than right when there is enough silent presence
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000