AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Your children are not your children
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in
your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you,
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness.
Kahlil Gibran

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  11:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love this quote
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  01:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am my own father.

Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  05:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gubran [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]...but have to admit some of its beauty is lost with translation
thanx Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  10:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your presence
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  02:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
actually this quote from Gibran is taken from his book the Prophet and the book was originally written in english then translated to arabic by Michael Naimeh
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  03:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Maheswari,

I already knew that but I agree with what Delara said and like Gebran's writings in arabic. Either Michael did one hell of a translation work or maybe it's just our arabic conditioning...

salam
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  03:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
who said i dont have an ego?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  03:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ananda .....concerning some of my replies i would say :"Me is generally selfish,foolish,childish a great big ass.So when you say "you are an ass"...well i have known it for years! the conditioned self what do u expect? i have known it for years.why do u identify with him? silly! that is not I it is me" (Tony De Mallo/Awarness)
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  04:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanx for pointing that out...I agree with ya Ananda...I prefer his arabic writings,it's closer to my heart.
Salam on/with you everybody
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  04:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
btw It's Tony De Mello
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  04:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL! :p
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  04:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oh
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  05:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
for some reason I missed ur previous comment maheswari...that LOL goes for scratching my head tryin to figure out what's the wisdom(joke) behind Ananda's saying Gubran is Tony de Mello...
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  05:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL... dear Delara
....maybe what Ananda says is not always wise
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  06:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What more can you expect from an ass
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  06:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOLLLLLLLLLLLZ
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  3:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A white rose...heavenly n pure... yet full of thorns
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000