Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deity mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wanders

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  10:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been reading alot about tantric practices and was wondering about using deity mantras, such as a kali mantra. I am interested in working with these energies to help with my progress but I am confused on how to integrate them with the AYP system. Can the mantras be said during the day mentally outside of meditation, or must they be said sitting, and repeated a certain number of times?

Edited by - AYPforum on Apr 06 2011 4:29:51 PM

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  03:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello wanders
from what i know it is not advisable to use another mantra than the AYAM mantra while using the AYP practices...

Edited by - maheswari on Apr 06 2011 04:14:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  09:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Old tantrist mantras like for ex., the beejas or the Om, probably originate from sounds which brought about special acoustic vibrations in the skull or the chest. The Hindu deities came in a litte later.
A modern-time theory is that these sounds (even when just imagined or "preferred" softly) automatically trigger a relaxation response in the brain, affecting it deeper than conscious (or religious) techniques do.

It's instrumental to keep the sound free from external associations because those tend to generate even more thoughts during meditation. Therefore, it's best to use the sound during meditation only. IMO, some religious or spiritual systems, making the mantras "holy", "sacred", "secret" etc. for various reasons, accomplished this in a simple way manageable in ancient times (I'd hardly expect a yoga practitioner of y. 2011 B.C. to browse printed books or the lectures at AYPsite.org )

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Apr 06 2011 4:07:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wanders

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  10:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see. After reading about tantra practices I just thought something was missing from my own.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
A very common mantra used widely in India is 'SitaRam' and you can here it being chanted regularly almost everywhere.Sita being the female energies and Ram the masculine makes it a very balanced mantra.Silently chanting a mantra outside of meditation is known as walking japa and sitting japa is also used extensively in Tantra especially during anustan periods.Anustan is an intensive period of 11 days of japa using specific mantras and a set number of malas giving purification. We also sit for an anustan period after shaktipat and normally four times a year. I am currently on anustan for 8 days, sitting for 3 -4 hrs daily using japa.Japa is not a part of the AYP system and therefore not normally discussed.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Wanders

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  7:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for your replies. So is it best to ignore japa while working with the AYP system? I just really have to strongest urge to learn invocations for shiva, shakti, and kali. don't know if I should just pray to these forces or are specific mantras needed to invoke them?
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  02:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wanders

is it best to ignore japa while working with the AYP system?

Perhaps Yogani has an answer?

Some of us do practice other techniques in parallell, but I'd probably use different mantras with the different techniques.
When going out for a silent walk, I use full yoga breath (into the beat of the steps), instead of a mantra, to minimize thought.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  03:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Wanders
just use one mantra....AYAM mantra
personally i am into Bhakti...i like Kirtan chanting of Deities a lot and i still do that....maybe u should try kirtan ...
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  03:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I've been reading alot about tantric practices and was wondering about using deity mantras, such as a kali mantra. I am interested in working with these energies to help with my progress but I am confused on how to integrate them with the AYP system. Can the mantras be said during the day mentally outside of meditation, or must they be said sitting, and repeated a certain number of times?

Dear Wanders,

Here at AYP we just practice the IAM and enhancement mantras for sitting practices. As for other mantras it is advised to enjoy them during the day while chanting or praying... But meditating twice using both mantras is not a good idea, best have one digging tool and going deep with it instead of jumping up and down here and there...

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  08:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by HathaTeacher

quote:

is it best to ignore japa while working with the AYP system?

Perhaps Yogani has an answer?

Japa becomes a habit, a mantra habit. So we at AYP don't recommend you do japa with the same mantra that you do your meditation with. Also, japa can be done as a stand alone practice between session, but not as a part of the AYP routine.

Here is what Yogani has to say:
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
quote:

I don’t know what Yogani's stance is on the practice, but I have noticed that continuous mantra repetition (japa) has not made it into the top 20 advanced yoga practices in AYP.

That's right, and there is a reason for it. There is a big difference between a "meditation habit" and a "mantra habit." One naturally enlivens our normal daily activity with abiding inner silence, while the other divides our thought process between constant mantra repetition and normal activity (which limits the mantra as a vehicle for cultivating inner silence). People with a mantra habit sometimes have difficulty learning the simple procedure of deep meditation because they are so used to mechanically droning on with mantra during all other activity, giving attention to both (dividing the mind), which is not meditation. This is discussed in the deep meditation book.

Which is not to say continuous japa is not useful for some, but it seems to be a small minority of those who use it.

It boils down to the statistics. We aim for reliable results.

The guru is in you.

With regards to practicing deep meditation with mantras other than the ones suggested in the lessons, I would say, learn deep meditation the way is in the lessons. Once you are comfortable with the process and intuition suggest to add some other mantra, you can do so. If however, you do want to practice deep meditation with other mantras, then consider AYP food for thought.
http://www.aypsite.org/124.html
"The lessons are a specific step-by-step build-up of advanced yoga practices. If you follow them closely, you will be on a logical course. If you try and do too many things at once, you will be on a confusing course. If you follow multiple teachings, it can also be confusing. So, chose a course and stay with it. If you decide to follow a guru or teaching organization, that is fine. Then consider these lessons to be only food for thought. One teaching should be first -- all the rest are food for thought only."-Yogani"

http://www.aypsite.org/226.html
quote:

If you undertake other mantras during the day, like Gayatri, it will certainly speed up purification, but maybe excessively. With all the good techniques available these days, the challenge is not in achieving the purification. It is in digesting it in a way that facilitates stable progress and the rise of ecstatic bliss over the long term. The lessons take a particular approach to the task. There are other approaches too. Mixing them together may not bring the best results.

In the approach here, daily activity is used to stabilize the effects of practices. The best way to do this is to go out and engage in worthwhile activities of our choice. Then our activities, inner silence and ecstatic energy are naturally blended to bring about higher functioning in our nervous system. The end result is life lived in ecstatic bliss with divine love flowing out into everything we do. Our life naturally becomes joyful service, wherever we may be.

There are many things you can do that will hasten purification in your nervous system. But there is only so much purification the nervous system can assimilate in a given period of time. The order in which practices are done is important too. Think of it as being like athletic conditioning. It takes time, particular exercises, and a gradual build-up. That is the approach here. The practices in the lessons, combined with prudent self-pacing (very important), provide a means to go gradually faster without risking excessive instability. Then we can keep up our daily practices indefinitely without overloading and burning out.

Stable long-term daily practice is the key to enlightenment. The journey is more like a marathon than a sprint. With right practices and good self-pacing it can be a pretty fast marathon!

Take a look at these lessons. Maybe they will help too:
http://www.aypsite.org/86.html
http://www.aypsite.org/188.html
http://www.aypsite.org/195.html

And here is a topic that japa was discussed in:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=7109

Go to Top of Page

Wanders

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  4:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. I actually wasn't looking to use a mantra instead of the I Am mantra. I was just looking for a mantra for daily activity to boost the purifying process like the Gayatri mantra that was mentioned, or even a Kali or Shiva mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  5:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can use what Suffies repeat all throughout the day... LA ILAHA ELLA ALLAH which translates in english to "THERE'S NO GOD BUT GOD"

Allah is arabic for God, christians in the west usually mistake between the both words and think they're different but they're not. The christinas in the middle east (Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox) all use the name ALLAH in their prayers.

love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I was just looking for a mantra for daily activity to boost the purifying process like the Gayatri mantra that was mentioned, or even a Kali or Shiva mantra.

You may already know these, but here are a few (page down for a list):
http://www.sanatansociety.org/india..._mantras.htm

I find the Kali mantra (http://www.sanatansociety.org/india...i_mantra.htm) really powerful

Just be careful with these, they can really send you into overload.
Go to Top of Page

Wanders

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  11:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti. I didn't know of these mantras but I have read that any mantra can be powerful and may bring unexpected results to ones life. I just didn't know where to look or how to utilize them.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  07:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can listen to them on that site I posted above. Just don't overdo them. I used to listen and chant the Kali mantra before I got into AYP, and I did listen to it a lot and meditated on it a lot, and it send me into overload and phases of depression... so moderation is the key. Don't overdo it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000