Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep meditation and centering prayer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

turtlerock

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  1:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have had daily meditation practice for many years, using a Christian contemplative practice called Centering Prayer as taught by Father Thomas Keating, a Trappist Monk at the Snowmass, CO monastery.
I am struck by the similarity between Centering Prayer teachings and AYP Deep Meditation teachings- the same easeful use of simple return to the "mantra." In CP one chooses a single word or short phrase as one's own mantra, and keeps it - well forever.
Questions I have:
Is there a substantive difference between these two practices? and -
Is it best that I stay with the word that has become engrained in my practice, or
is there a benefit in going through some disruption of my practice to switch to
AYAM?

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  11:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi turtlerock,
to my understanding, the AYAM Mantra is used because of its vibrational quality. That's also why, it is not recmmended to tranlsate the meaning of the mantra into other languages. There is no meaning to it, just the vibration that is created through repeating it is important.
Should you change your mantra? I don't know, it's up to you. You can try the AYAM mantra and see how it feels.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  12:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Turtlerock and welcome to the AYP forums!

The "I am" mantra is used because, as Yaming says, there is a specific vibrational quality to the sound "ayam." It resonates with the spinal nerve and begins to loosen obstructions there. Whatever mantra you use will have it's own specific vibrational qualities and it will help to bring the mind to silence if you are returning to the mantra whenever you notice yourself off of it, but one of the main benefits of the "I am" mantra is where in the body it resonates.

Hope this helps.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  2:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Turtlerock,

this lesson will tell you all about the specifics of the mantras we use here:
http://www.aypsite.org/188.html

On the other hand, it is suggested that once you're on a path for many years you should stick on to it and from what I've read about father Thomas Keating and the tradition he's in IMHO I think you should stay on your path.

There's the old story about hole digging which is given as an example in your case. The wise man is the one who keeps on digging the same hole until he strikes oil. The fool is the one whom after digging for a short while in a certain hole loses hope quickly and goes up and digs another one. The fool's work will never be done...

If you are happy with your path and finding good results stay on it and consider AYP as food for thought. If you're not happy then you may take on AYP or take some of it's energetic elements and add them to your practice. In the end the choice is yours.

My 2 cents

Wish you all the best on the path you choose.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  03:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson...it is always good to remind that AYAM is only for the vibration sake not the english meaning...cause i keep on going back to the english meaning ...lol...
Ananda...old story about hole digging... read it in Sivananda and Chidanana books... it is an example used by ALL genuine Gurus
that advice to stick to one's own path .....
Go to Top of Page

turtlerock

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  12:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. So far, I see AYP as a different "name"
for the path I have been on for decades, and enriching that path.
I am grateful for affirmation of cohesiveness in what I have
been doing: asanas, breathing, deep meditation, energetic work
and tantric sexuality,in particular. Viva all nonduality!

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  10:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by turtlerock

Thanks for the responses. So far, I see AYP as a different "name"
for the path I have been on for decades, and enriching that path.
I am grateful for affirmation of cohesiveness in what I have
been doing: asanas, breathing, deep meditation, energetic work
and tantric sexuality,in particular. Viva all nonduality!

Welcome Turtlerock,

I'm glad you found your way here to AYP Forum. Like you, I came here with a background in Centering and some other practices I discovered along the way.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....C_ID=907#907

Peace,

Be
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000