Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Prosthetic for siddhasana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  05:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here has experimented with different objects to place under the perineum and could recommend one with the right shape/density to act as a comfortable replacement for the heel. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

Thank you all

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  09:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A deodorant roll on.

With the lid on, of course.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  10:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rolled up cotton sock, cut to preference.
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  11:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It will take some experimenting and depends on the hardness vs softness of whatever you're sitting on.
For me, if I'm sitting on the carpeted floor a golf ball works great. On the other hand, if I'm sitting in my big comfortable soft chair I use a baseball. I'm looking for enough pressure to create the effect without it causing any discomfort. If I have neither, say I'm traveling I can usually find something else to improvise.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  12:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a lady in my AYP Level 1 class who used an "eye pillow" like this: http://www.barefootyoga.com/Search....+Eye+Pillows

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  5:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, thank you all for your suggestions! A deodorant roll on woosa, really? Not a little too hard?? I guess if you've tried it and it was comfortable I'll take your word for it! I think you're absolutely right about the nature of the surface you're sitting on Guy_51, I forgot to mention that I'd need something suitable for a fairly hard surface. Today I tried out a hacky sack rolled up in a pair of socks which worked pretty well
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  5:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It just occurred to me that the heel itself is pretty hard, should have thought of that before I said anything! Sorry wooosa
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  5:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No need to apologise it's all about experimentation!

I have even been nicking the dog's toys, to much of his disapproval. He was looking bemused as he watched one of his toys disappear.

I've foud the rubber cat balls with the metal tinkly thing in the middle is pretty good. It's about 2 inches in diameter with knobbly bits around it.... starting to sound a bit saucy now

Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  5:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wafu,
Also, I think you'll find that what may be comfortable for the first few minutes may become uncomfortable after say 10 or 15 minutes, so you may want to move the object used somewhat. Comfort being the most important factor.
Guy
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  6:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha ha ha! Next you'll be suggesting I used an electric toothbrush You're right again Guy, I did need to shift my weight a little half way through the half hour sit. I might try taking the hacky sack out and just use the socks next time, might make it a bit softer.

I've been trying to optimise my meditation seat at work, until now I've been taking a cushion and sitting on the floor but this hasn't always been ideal. So instead I thought I'd use a regular chair and see how it felt with a "fake heel". It was actually pretty comfortable and I got a lot of stimulation, maybe even more than I'm used to sitting in ordinary siddhasana.

Thanks again for all your input folks
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  11:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They have giant gummy bears.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000