Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 wonders of the universe series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  3:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Watched this new series last night. It followed the second law of thermodynamics and entropy.

Brian Cox was narrating about how all the stars will eventually die out and black holes evaporate into endless space and everything will continue without change for ever.

I'm sure there must have been many lamenting the extinction of the material world. All I could feel was that draw that deep meditation brings, the quiescent silence of latent energies where nothing and everything exists in total equilibrium and balance. A deep silence filled with a perfect sound and it felt like home.

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  4:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I bet it could have been fascinating to watch the wonders of the universe, however who would really be qualified in KNOWING about the entire universe, its extinction....and just how long have humans been contemplating the extinction of the material world?

Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  4:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't even know who brian cox is, and once I read that he was a physicist still does not make me think that he really knows it all.....I will give him credit for naming his child Moki which means Deer in Hopi.....

Karl...do you not like the material world?
Do you understand thermodynamics and entropy?
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  4:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thermodynamics, laws of The three laws were put in a memorable form by the English scientist and novelist C. P. Snow: (i) you cannot win (matter and energy are conserved); (ii) you cannot break even (cannot return to the same entropy state, since disorder always increases); (iii) you cannot get out of the game (absolute zero is unobtainable).

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/laws-o...xzz1Fx4lMnBt
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  6:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sagebrush

I bet it could have been fascinating to watch the wonders of the universe, however who would really be qualified in KNOWING about the entire universe, its extinction....and just how long have humans been contemplating the extinction of the material world?

It's all just Maya and there is beauty there as in all creations.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  6:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what would you have called it before you knew the term maya?
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  7:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
suffering---DUH!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  07:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing which says that you cannot appreciate the material world or take pleasure from it. We are born into this.

Suffering only comes from the belief that there is control over the illusion.That things should be different to how they are. Any creation is an extension of I and can be appreciated in the moment.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  03:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also fascinated with cosmology and quantum theories, though things seem to change so fast it is hard to keep track of all the latest info. I wonder if some of the newer theories about dark energy and dark matter changes things at all?

I think i remember reading in Hidden Dimensions by B. Alan Watts that Zero Point Energy can actually violate the second law of thermodynamics. In an absolute vacuum quantum particles spontaneously appear and disappear, apparently creating and destroying themselves.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000