Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing while jogging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cecerem

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  6:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
My apologies if this has been asked before. Is it considered acceptable or beneficial to practice Spinal Breathing while jogging or running?

Thanks for oyur time.

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  7:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Spinal breathing and deep meditation compliment each other, so I would say no. From my own experience, doing only spinal breathing leaves me feeling irritable, frazzled and definitely not as good as following it with some DM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  8:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome, cecerem

Mixing sitting practices with physical activity is not recommended. Sitting practices require concentration and withdrawal of the attention/senses inward, while jogging takes your attention outward. Also, jogging exerts energy which spinal breathing is attempting to cultivate and move up/down the spine.

Like faileforever alluded to, spinal breathing is a preparation for meditation.

Jogging would be a fantastic thing to do after sitting practices. Physical activity outside of practices is actually needed, to ground your energies and bring inner silence into your daily life.

Best of luck to you

With Love
cosmic

Edited by - cosmic on Mar 01 2011 8:22:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  09:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is different then the AYP way, but I believe it depends on the person and how grounded they are. Spinal breathing (or moving the energy) during any activity can help being present in the moment or think of it as "instant meditation". The key is not to do too much too fast. Being in the zone running, walking or just listening to music can be a powerful mediation.

Peace & Love.

p.s. Don't flame me too much
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  12:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not disagreeing with you Jeff, but that is different than AYP. Nothing wrong with what you are describing but pranayama is a practice that involves stillness and deep relaxation. Its just a different mode is all, not bad.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  2:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Victor,

I completely agree that it is a departure from standard AYP. But Meditation can come in various forms, many runners find great stillness and mental relaxation in their running.

Peace & Love, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  3:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Life itself becomes meditation at some point.

Love [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  6:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly agree on that one, I often feel very meditative driving or riding a motorcycle because you can get into adeep relaxed zone without distractions. Its not the same though, not as deep and transformative.
Go to Top of Page

cecerem

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  6:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the responses! Jeff thank you for your input, I believe I will begin augmenting my jogging pratice by visualizing the soul center to perenium breathing path and see what it brings. Yogani, feel free to comment @ your leisure....
Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  6:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For advanced practicioners, it is no problem to move energy while doing physical activity. But for neophytes whose channels are really clogged up, you are really looking for kundalini symptoms if you do pranayama while doing pyshical activity. It is a well known fact actually.
Also, pranayama trully prepares someone for falling into deep meditation, not the opposite unless the person is advanced in meditation practices, then they are said to prossess a deep meditation state all the time, so it is no problem to them, because it makes no difference whether walking, or sitting down doing mantra. But again, this is for adnvaced practicioners only who are adept at having all kinds of mental activity at the same time, i.e. deep meditation together with heightened thinking. For us newbies, we can only enter into one mental mode each time and even that we need concious effort.
Chris.
======
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000