New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  9:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoga - The Problem, The Solution

The problem is that because of various mental, physical and behavioral states, and our conditioning and ignorance, we suffer in ways that we do not have to.

Our mind and consciousness is habitually restless and distracted so that we only find pleasure and comfort in chasing sensual pleasures or having our ego gratified in some manner. We feel great when we are praised and may even exaggerate or lie in order to get such praise, and angry when we are blamed, perhaps to the point where we wish for revenge.

In order to feel good, we may use drinks or drugs that only bring a temporary experience of euphoria, while at the same time hurt us in two ways, one in that they damage our short and long - term mental and physical health and other being that they keep us from working to a state of mind and consciousness that is consistently mindful and balanced.

We may also only feel good when things go our way and when they do not, we fall into states of despair that can lead to hopelessness and even depression. Though we may be fortunate enough ourselves to not sink into or experience such things, one does not have to spend much time reading the news each day or year to see that many, many people, individuals that may have much more then us in the way of success, money and fame are struggling with issues that they can not understand or overcome. The list seems endless and each day we are surprised to find new people added to the list, people that we never imagined before to be struggling with such things.

So then what is the solution?

It is twofold, consisting of a way to get to a better state, and then experiencing that better state.

The way is through an understanding and practice of postures, meditation, healthy diet, sleep and leisure activities, and a gentle, humble and compassionate approach to oneself and others.

The better state is experiencing a consistent and non – fluctuating experience where there is balance, energy, effort, mindfulness, and tranquility.

Too many times we do not see that there is a problem or believe that there can be a solution. Our mind tells us all of the reasons why we should not believe such a thing or apply ourselves to learning, studying and practicing them.

We see the lustful or lost Yoga teacher and think that Yoga is a pack of falsehoods. We see the Buddhist monk who has broken his vows and abused the trust and authority placed in him, and think that Buddhism can not offer us anything.

The truth is that we have to look beyond what other people do and see and learn the teachings and disciplines of Yoga and Buddhism, and then make a determined and consistent effort to
understand and apply what they teach us and what they ask us to do.

In being such a way, we will better see and understand the problem while working to the solution.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  10:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Hindrances to The Development of The Mind

Though many of us who are involved in a daily practice of Yoga and Buddhism like to think of our practice in terms of only one or two main actions and activities, such as meditation or posture practice, the major attribute of mind and consciousness that we want to both develop and practice is what is known as mindfulness.

We do need to practice meditation and postures in order to develop mindfulness, but then mindfulness becomes our major practice each day.

With mindfulness, we understand fully that it is not only meditation and posture practice that keeps us mindful, but also other things such as what we eat, when we eat and how much we eat, when we go to sleep and get up and what we do before and after that, and how we use our leisure time and what leisure activities we engage in.

Mindfulness in our day to day living also means that we know what thoughts, words and actions to engage in that bring enlightenment to both ourselves and others.

Mindfulness is also built on the study of the teachings of both Yoga and Buddhism, just as we would study accounting, engineering or medicine.

One of the most important teachings of both Yoga and Buddhism to learn, understanding and become fully mindful about is what is known as the hindrances. The hindrances are defined as those mental and physical states that block the development of the mind.

The study and understanding of them is important for three reasons. These are:

· The hindrances are rooted in the mental defilements and by being mindful about them and seeing them arise and fall, we are working on weakening and the eradication of the mental defilements
· The hindrances and the defilements work together to cause many of the mental, verbal, physical and behavioral ills of modern times, such as anxiety, anger, impatience, and abusive and disrespectful tendencies to ourselves and others
· In the study of the hindrances, we are also taught by men and women who did a lot of work before us as to what are those things that we do that nourish or strengthen them and what are the things that we can do to denourish or weaken them.

If we can understand these three points, especially the last one regarding what we do that nourishes and what we can do that denourishes the hindrances, we will have brought a very wise and powerful force and set of actions into our path and practice of developing the mind.

And as we study, learn and understand what those things are that nourish and denourish the hindrances, we will also once again be exposed to the whole range of disciplines that both Yoga and Buddhism teach us and ask us to implement and apply in our life.

In looking at our practice or development of the mind in this manner, we can have a better understanding and appreciation of what Yoga and Buddhism are asking us to do and see that their practice is not some other worldly and mystical experience but something that is very down to earth and based on common sense and wisdom.

It can be interesting to meet and find so many people who say that they are practitioners of Yoga or Buddhism who do not have any knowledge about the hindrances or feel that such a knowledge is unimportant or not needed by them.

Yoga and Buddhism were both developed as complete systems that bring about both mental and physical health and a development of the mind through the weakening of the unskillful and unwholesome and the development of the skillful and wholesome.

It is somewhat cumbersome for this change to take place if we have little or no knowledge about what those things are that block, obstruct and bar the development of the mind and what we can do to weaken these hindrances.

If we wish to understand more about the hindrances and their significance in our application and practice of Buddhist teachings and disciplines, we are referred to a great treatise written on them by Nyanaponika Thera entitled “The Five Mental Hindrances and their Conquest”.

This treatise is easily and freely available on the internet.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough
Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  10:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Freedom From Prison, Freedom From Drugs, Freedom From Defilements and Hindrances

We sometimes have a great interest in, and can even find a degree of enlightenment and insight when we see a movie that in some manner reflects our own life experiences.

For some it could be a war movie, while others might experience this in a movie about love, marriage, betrayal and divorce.

Recent movies on the events of September 11th, 2001 will awaken thoughts and feelings that will be shared by all Americans and many around the world.

One of the best movies that I have seen that affects me in the manner mentioned above is “The Shawshank Redemption”, a movie set in a prison in Maine during the 1940’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

In fact, the movie actually made me nostalgic for some of the experiences and friends that I had during a brief two and one half years that I spent in prison in Texas in the early seventies.

The movie accurately and compassionately depicts men sent to prison as being human beings who are capable of all of the emotions and feelings that all human beings have.

This does not mean that all of the men who are sent to prison should not be there or are good people and just misunderstood, but that we can all make mistakes out of greed, anger, or ignorance, sometimes only once in a way that hurts ourselves and others, and sometimes habitually with the same results.

It also shows us that men can show remorse, improve themselves and even though they do bad things they can have characteristics of loyalty and compassion.

One of the nicest days of my life was the day that I attained freedom from prison. It was a day that I looked forward to and felt a great deal of happiness to experience.

But the joy and happiness was short lived because then I had to embark on a real struggle, that being one to attain joy and happiness in living as a free man.

Freedom can be a real struggle because we are many times alone in our making the best of it, or beset with confusing and conflicting thoughts, feelings and impressions as we experience it.

So how did I deal with it?

I went back to a habit that I had before I went to prison and was partially responsible for me getting sent to prison, that being the use of drugs.

For the six years after my release from prison, even though I made progress in my life, work and relationships with other people, I habitually used drugs. These drugs were not of a heavy narcotic kind, but what we might call light or soft drugs and substances.

Even though they were widely available and accepted as being harmless in the environment that I lived in at the time, I could not see how they were hurting me or keeping me from achieving something greater in my life.

One night, alone and stoned, I awoke to the fact that my habitual use of drugs was something that I had not dealt with and stopped then and there. That was over 25 years ago.

The freedom from prison and the freedom from drugs was something that was attained in an instant.

This does not mean that the after affects of these experiences were things that could be instantly dealt with or set free from. Damage and long - term confusion can be done to the mind from being in prison or habitually using drugs.

In retrospect though, I realize that the time spent in prison was constructive, focused, balanced and productive, that there was something there to see that was worth seeing and learning from, whereas the years spent after that using drugs are for the most part a fog where it is hard to see clearly what was learned or gained from it.

For the last 15 years or so, I have been involved in the ongoing study and practice of Yoga and Buddhism. My initial interest was in Yoga and I gradually became more mindful about Buddhism, primarily because I lived in Thailand, a country that consists of a Buddhist culture and environment. In addition, my travels and trips to other countries in Asia, such as Sri Lanka, Laos, Mynamar, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan and China constantly exposed me to Buddhist environments.

The thing about being exposed to these environments and the Buddhist culture, images and icons then went along with them was that I did not think that I was really better understanding what Buddhism was all about.

That understanding came when I became more mindful about and interested in such a thing through the mental focus and balance that I achieved through Yoga.

Then I realized that learning about Buddhism required an intellectual study and a self-study that could be repetitive, difficult and painful at times.

Now, for a number of years, I have been engaged in a process of attaining freedom from the defilements and hindrances. It is not like gaining freedom from prison or drugs. It is an ongoing quest and does not happen in an instant or moment.

The mind and consciousness is a powerful force, much more powerful then being in prison or being addicted to drugs. Changing, purifying and redirecting it takes constant mindfulness and effort.

This mindfulness and effort manifests itself in different ways, such as through meditation and posture practice, making changes in who we associate with, and our habits regarding sleep, diet and leisure activities.

It also requires something much more difficult, that being changing our attitudes to other people so that instead of being judgmental or condemning we need to be understanding and compassionate.

Instead of being impatient and prone to anger, we need to be kind and charitable.

And instead of thinking that we are always right or the center of the universe, we have to listen to what other people say and see that they can be right and wise in their perceptions, thoughts, words and actions.

The states of mind and consciousness that create confusion, delusion, and suffering are as strong as any prison and more addictive then any drug.

The work required in order to denourish and weaken them requires daily energy, effort and mindfulness. The results of such an activity are well - worth the effort.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  10:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by John C. Kimbrough

Freedom From Prison, Freedom From Drugs, Freedom From Defilements and Hindrances

We sometimes have a great interest in, and can even find a degree of enlightenment and insight when we see a movie that in some manner reflects our own life experiences...

Hi John:

That is a moving story. I'm so glad we figured out a way for you to share your essays here without overrunning us.

Here's to redemption...

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  12:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thanks for posting them.

John, you available for any questions?
Go to Top of Page

aypmod2

25 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  10:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit aypmod2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Posted - Oct 01 2006 : 04:43:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hindrances to The Development of The Mind

Though many of us who are involved in a daily practice of Yoga and Buddhism like to think of our practice in terms of only one or two main actions and activities, such as meditation or posture practice, the major attribute of mind and consciousness that we want to both develop and practice is what is known as mindfulness.

We do need to practice meditation and postures in order to develop mindfulness, but then mindfulness becomes our major practice each day.

With mindfulness, we understand fully that it is not only meditation and posture practice that keeps us mindful, but also other things such as what we eat, when we eat and how much we eat, when we go to sleep and get up and what we do before and after that, and how we use our leisure time and what leisure activities we engage in.

Mindfulness in our day to day living also means that we know what thoughts, words and actions to engage in that bring enlightenment to both ourselves and others.

Mindfulness is also built on the study of the teachings of both Yoga and Buddhism, just as we would study accounting, engineering or medicine.

One of the most important teachings of both Yoga and Buddhism to learn, understanding and become fully mindful about is what is known as the hindrances. The hindrances are defined as those mental and physical states that block the development of the mind.

The study and understanding of them is important for three reasons. These are:

• The hindrances are rooted in the mental defilements and by being mindful about them and seeing them arise and fall, we are working on weakening and the eradication of the mental defilements
• The hindrances and the defilements work together to cause many of the mental, verbal, physical and behavioral ills of modern times, such as anxiety, anger, impatience, and abusive and disrespectful tendencies to ourselves and others
• In the study of the hindrances, we are also taught by men and women who did a lot of work before us as to what are those things that we do that nourish or strengthen them and what are the things that we can do to denourish or weaken them.

If we can understand these three points, especially the last one regarding what we do that nourishes and what we can do that denourishes the hindrances, we will have brought a very wise and powerful force and set of actions into our path and practice of developing the mind.

And as we study, learn and understand what those things are that nourish and denourish the hindrances, we will also once again be exposed to the whole range of disciplines that both Yoga and Buddhism teach us and ask us to implement and apply in our life.

In looking at our practice or development of the mind in this manner, we can have a better understanding and appreciation of what Yoga and Buddhism are asking us to do and see that their practice is not some other worldly and mystical experience but something that is very down to earth and based on common sense and wisdom.

It can be interesting to meet and find so many people who say that they are practitioners of Yoga or Buddhism who do not have any knowledge about the hindrances or feel that such a knowledge is unimportant or not needed by them.

Yoga and Buddhism were both developed as complete systems that bring about both mental and physical health and a development of the mind through the weakening of the unskillful and unwholesome and the development of the skillful and wholesome.

It is somewhat cumbersome for this change to take place if we have little or no knowledge about what those things are that block, obstruct and bar the development of the mind and what we can do to weaken these hindrances.

If we wish to understand more about the hindrances and their significance in our application and practice of Buddhist teachings and disciplines, we are referred to a great treatise written on them by Nyanaponika Thera entitled “The Five Mental Hindrances and their Conquest”.

This treatise is easily and freely available on the internet.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Go to Top of Page

aypmod2

25 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  10:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit aypmod2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Nourishes and Denourishes the Hindrances to Progress in Life, Buddhism and Yoga?

Yoga and Buddhist teachers, scholars and commentators will tell us that one of the most important teachings of these mind development and spiritual disciplines is that of the hindrances, those being the mental, verbal, physical and behavioral tendencies and states that obstruct progress in them.

It is also pointed out by knowledgeable teachers, scholars and commentators that these are the same things that can block progress in one’s life to greater personal satisfaction, joy, and material advancement and success.

An examination of the hindrances, whether in the Buddhist or Yoga context or outside of it will verify this view.

If we are doubtful people, doubt being one of these hindrances, how can we have or find the direction to improve ourselves and learn from and with others?

If we have tendencies to ill – will, another one of the hindrances, can we really cultivate a healthy, sharing and respectful relationship with others at home, at work and among our social circle?

And if we are chronically sluggish and lazy, still another one of the hindrances, can we really pursue in a wise and diligent manner anything that will bring us financial, material or joyful benefits or results?

So these teachings of both Yoga and Buddhism can have a practical usage in our life to both learn and study.

If we are going to do such a thing, whether in the context of our life or in the context of a broader and more in - depth application of Yoga and Buddhist teachings and disciplines, we will benefit when we better know and understand what those things are that nourish and strengthen these hindrances and what those things are that denourish and weaken these hindrances.

Many of these habits and routines that denourish and weaken the hindrances are already recognized as being things that we should do and not do in order to improve, maintain and have good mental and physical health, those being things such as not overeating, doing some exercise and getting some fresh air and sunshine each day and avoiding too much time being sedentary or watching television.

Other practices are more a part of the specific disciplines of Yoga and Buddhism, things such a meditation, Yoga posture practice and breathing techniques, and wisdom as regards what we eat, who we associate with and how we associate with them.

Below, in a summarized form, we present some of those things that can nourish the hindrances and some of the things that can denourish the hindrances.

Things that can nourish and strengthen the hindrances are:
• An obsessive or compulsive attention to beautiful or desirable objects
• Overeating
• Compulsive or impulsive shopping and an acquisition of material goods that are not needed or necessary to one’s life and existence
• Impatience
• An inability to listen to or understand others
• An inability to see the universality of life and the life experience
• A tendency to see oneself as being the center of the universe or better or more important then other people
• A pre-occupation with materialism and material and financial gain
• A lack of physical exercise during each day
• A lack of physical effort and exercise after eating
• Watching too much television
• Comparing oneself to other people
• Laziness
• The habitual and regular use of drugs, alcohol, nicotine and caffeine
• Sitting listlessly or not being involved in a constructive activity

Things that can denourish and weaken the hindrances are:
• Right Understanding and all of the steps and mental, verbal, physical and behavioral disciplines as put forth in The Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism
• Non - violence in thought, word and action to others and oneself
• Austerity and simplicity in life and living
• Non – greed
• Honesty
• Non – stealing
• Self - study
• Mindfulness
• Concentration practice and activities that focus the mind
• Meditation
• Meditating on impure objects
• Meditating on the impurity of one’s own and another’s body
• The practice of Yoga postures and breathing techniques
• Guarding of the sense doors
• Moderation in eating
• Diligent study of the teachings and scriptures of Yoga and Buddhism
• Healthy friendships
• Healthy, suitable and respectful conversations
• Contentment with and appreciation for what one has and can experience each day
• Understanding that one may be and should be held accountable for their actions
• Devoting oneself to meditation on and the practice of loving kindness
• Joy and faith
• Energy and effort applied to purposeful activities and work
• Taking walks and doing exercise in the open air
• Participating in individual and group sports
• Planning one’s day
• Purposeful work
• An understanding of one’s intentions and motivations regarding their words and actions

To learn, understand and successfully implement some of these habits and routines may require that we have a teacher or attend classes with like - minded people who are on a like – minded endeavor, while others may be brought about just through our individual mindfulness, understanding, effort, strength and discipline.

Sometimes our present environment and the people that make it up do not have the mindfulness or energy to embark on such a thing or may even act as an obstacle to learning, understanding and applying these new and healthy habits and disciplines through their negativity or critical attitudes to them and anyone who embarks on making such a change in their life.

If we are around such people by choice or not, we need to understand what our objectives are in trying to learn new ways and make changes in our life, that being the be healthier, happier and wiser and stick with pursuing those objectives.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Go to Top of Page

aypmod2

25 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  10:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit aypmod2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Path to Purification is Paved with Pain

The objective of those who learn and practice either
Yoga or Buddhism is to purify the mind and
consciousness.

This state of mind purification can be and is defined
in other words and terms such as mind development,
liberation, freedom, wisdom, and enlightenment.

Regardless of what word or term we use, the state is
the same, that being a mind and consciousness that is
free from those states and tendencies which defile it
and lead to pain and suffering both within ourselves
and with or to those people that we interact with.

For those individuals who make a commitment to walking
on the path that leads to purification, much of that
what they may and will find on that path is that it is
paved with pain.

This pain manifests itself in various ways and at
various times.

Initial pain can come through learning those postures,
both therapeutic and meditative, that we use in order
to purify the body and mind and make them capable of
sitting for meditation.

Pain can also be experienced in the prolonged
stillness, steadiness and silence that meditation
requires of us.

These two aspects of what is involved in purification
alone may dissuade or stop many individuals from
pursuing this path with the interest, enthusiasm and
strength that is needed for success in such an
endeavor.

But there is other pain involved in this path also.

One is that when we have to exert self – discipline to
break away from those things that brought us sensual
pleasure in the past. This could be something such as
watching a favorite program on television, having some
extra food, a special dessert or eating as much as we
like, or engaging in some delicious and perhaps
abusive gossip about another person.

And still another source of pain, which can be equal
to or greater in its magnitude then the others is what
we start to see in ourselves regarding both the past
and the present.

We see the ignorance, the selfish and abusive
tendencies to others and how we have hurt ourselves
through our own thoughts, feelings and actions.
Some might ask, why should I put myself through such a
thing?

One reason is that there is joy in experiencing and
seeing the pain because the process of it in one works
to free us from it.

Those who walk this path experience an ongoing
development of purification and freedom and in that
there is joy, mindfulness, contentment, appreciation,
loving kindness, compassion, a greater understanding
and respect of and for others, focus, tranquility and
balance.

The point of all of this may be a number of things.

One is understand that the path to purification is
paved with pain in various forms and experiences.

Another is that it is worthwhile to walk this path and
that once we are firmly on it, it is hard to start to
disregard it or fall off of it.

Most will find that such a path, be it a Yoga or
Buddhist one, is the wisest and only worthwhile one
for them to walk in their life.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  8:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing With What?

For some it is beneficial and perhaps even necessary to make a commitment to seeking out and embracing a path to live and walk on in life.

This writer has found that those individuals who make a mindful commitment to any religious or spiritual discipline tend to be happier and more understanding, compassionate and accepting about life and others then those who do not.

Of course, there can be individuals of any faith, religious background or spiritual persuasion who become extreme in their view and cross the line where they judge and condemn others instead of guide and love them, but it is hoped that they remain in a non – violent minority and eventually evolve to a higher state of understanding and practice of their beliefs.

Religions and spiritual disciplines provide us with the means to experience an ongoing evolution of one’s mind and consciousness in a positive, wise and wholesome direction and if we are not experiencing such an evolution, we may need to make some adjustments or changes in what it is we are studying and implementing into our lives.

The changes that we do experience when we understand and implement correctly the teachings and disciplines of our particular faith and spiritual practice should manifest themselves in a number of ways, one major one being in how we see others and the workings of the world.

Instead of seeing with fear, hostility or anger, we should be seeing with compassion, loving - kindness and understanding.

Instead of seeing others as people that we ignorantly think we are superior or inferior to in some manner, we should be seeing them with a mindfulness of their weakness and strengths, just as we are mindful about our own.

Instead of seeing them as people that we can exploit or use in some manner, we should be seeing them in terms of how we can assist them and grow with them in a mutually respectful way.

Yoga and Buddhism, and any religious or spiritual discipline and faith should allow us to see things within and outside of us with greater clarity and balance.

The characteristics of the evolving religious and spiritual practitioner should be and include things such as greater balance, compassion, energy, sustainable and sincere effort, loving – kindness, charity, joy, an ability to investigate things within and outside of oneself with enthusiasm and an open mind, humility, calmness in all things and a wise use of one’s free time.

Mindful and healthy religious and spiritual practitioners should not be condemning, criticizing or passing any kind of judgment on other people.

Clarity in one’s own mind and consciousness allows one to see the world and others with the same kind of clarity and that can only result in loving – kindness and compassion to all.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough
Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  8:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reflections on Teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia – The Prison is the Temple

Existence in a provincial prison in Cambodia can be a dismal affair, but after having taught Yoga and Buddhism in one on a part - time and volunteer basis over the last year, one can not help but be impressed by the spirit of the men and women who serve time in one.

This writer has also found that the men and women there do appreciate the efforts of others to assist them in anyway possible.

During this writer’s most recent experience of teaching Yoga and Buddhism there, I was told more then once “thankyou” for things that had been taught and shared with the men and women, or some of the things such as hats, clothing, books, magazines and food that I had been able to give to them.

Perhaps that is because they recognize the commitment and effort of this writer or more fully understand and appreciate the need and benefits of the Yoga and Buddhist teachings and practices.

Anyone who has practiced Yoga and meditation extensively or taught them has experienced and knows the mental and physical benefits that is can bring an individual and there is no reason there to think that men and women in prison can not experience such a thing also.

One of the things that we have tried to make the men and women in prison more mindful about is that it is where we are at the moment, be it a prison, our home, a club or restaurant, or in a bus, plane or train is our temple and that we need to serve in it and act in a way that reflects that understanding.

In many respects, a prison is the highest manifestation of a temple, providing that the men and women in it are provided with clean clothing, a safe, secure and clean living and sleeping environment, healthy and adequate food and an opportunity to both work and educate themselves. Sadly, these things are lacking and not being worked to being provided in Cambodian prisons and it is more through the effort of individuals and private organizations to bring about such a thing.

But a prison does provide one with the discipline and opportunity to live a regulated lifestyle with there being regular times for bathing, sleeping and eating, and through that, a positive evolution of one’s mind and consciousness can occur.

This is what we want to happen when we practice Yoga and Buddhism and what many of us have sought out and committed ourselves to over the years, be it a weekend or month - long retreat in upstate New York or Massachusetts, or a trip to and stay in a temple in Thailand or Sri Lanka.

We have been taught or learned to recognize that a sparse and simple environment and a disciplined approach to daily life and living bring about benefits.

Perhaps if instead of wanting more and more and not being satisfied unless we have those things to indulge in or confuse and overwhelm us, we worked to simplicity and contentment, we could make our own house, home and our community and the world as a whole a temple.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  8:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reflections on Teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia: In The Prison

“The practice of religion involves as a first principle a loving, compassionate heart for all creatures” - Fo-pen-hing-tsih-king – Chapter 12

We sometimes unwisely think of men and women in prison as being dangerous, in there for a bonafide and legitimate reason, as being lifelong criminals or getting what they deserve, as not being able to change or rehabilitate themselves, or as being ignorant and stupid. Such assumptions show more ignorance on our part then anything else.

Men and women make mistakes, sometimes ones that are very stupid, but it does not mean that they are hardened criminals, lifelong threats to society and other people, or can not change.

The conditions that men and women must live in in a Cambodian prison are quite harsh and I am sure that anyone of them would gladly embrace the opportunity to spend time in an American or western prison with all of its amenities.

Having taught Yoga and Buddhism, and more infrequently English in a local provincial prison in Cambodia on a part - time and volunteer basis over the last year has allowed this writer to grow as a human being and as both a student and teacher of Yoga and Buddhism.

Much can be taken from such an experience and if seen with understanding, balance and clarity by others, used as a springboard for cultivating greater insight within themselves.

The point is assisting others in anyway is something that makes both ourselves better and more joyful people and along the way can also bring something worthwhile, meaningful and healthy into their lives also.

We can do it in easy ways each day of our life wherever we are, such as giving a friendly and sincere smile to others, showing a sincere interest in their health and well - being and that of their family, and offering ourselves as someone who will listen to their concerns regarding life and giving them insightful responses to assist in dealing with those concerns.

Its called compassion and some of us, in our anxiety and fear, lack of balance and focus, and tendency to ill – will and anger have lost sight of how to live in such a way.

It is not hard at all, though for some of us it may take some painful work and changes to get it back or make changes in our life that can bring it about.

We do not have to have all of the things in life that we may selfishly or unwisely think of as being necessary to enjoy and find satisfaction in it as a prerequisite for being compassionate.

We also can not be wrapped up in or led astray by thoughts, feelings and emotions based on jealousy and envy.

The realities of life and the limitations of the body humble us all and teach us that others share the same loneliness and confusion at times that we do, and that we all share the same fate.

We should be thankful for the health, peace, work, opportunities and material and financial gifts that we have in our life instead of getting lost in those things within that create greater pain and disharmony for both ourselves and in our relationships with others.

Yoga and Buddhism both offer us a set of teachings and practices that make us more mindful about ourselves and others and allow us to act on that mindfulness in a compassionate manner.

Right Understanding, the first step and foundation for the practice of The Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism, is a set of teachings that we are all capable of learning and understanding whether we are in a prison in Cambodia or America or a shack in India or a penthouse in New York.

The Yoga and Buddhist teachings and disciplines are both universal in scope and application and will bring benefits to all who take some time to learn and apply them.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough (johnckimbrough@yahoo.com)

Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  8:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reflections on Teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia – Working With Prisoners

Gaining the trust and respect of other people is something that all of us have to do at one time or another in our life. Hopefully we can do it in a sincere and unstressful manner and environment. The reality seems to be that many of us do not always care what other people think and feel, or are more apt to condemn or criticize them then look at them as being the same as us or reaching out to them.

When there is a cross – cultural aspect to this, things can be more complex.

In working with prisoners, as with anyone in any situation, patience is required. For some this patience come naturally and is not a problem, while for others it can involve resentment and anger to implement. Certainly the person who is engaged in the former will be less effective in achieving his or her objectives.

In working with prisoners, as with anyone in any situation, compassion is also required. Too many times our attitude to prisoners can be that they did something that requires them to be in prison and that whatever punishment they have received is one that they deserve.

Of course, if we look closely at the history of the law and the legal system, we find that more then once the wrong man has been incarcerated or even executed or given an excessive sentence for a crime.

In developing countries, the circumstances that get a man in prison can be more complex, with many times him or her being nothing more then an individual who had to fight against a person or system that was trying to exploit them unfairly.

Regardless of the country, social environment or status of development in a country, in working with prisoners we are dealing with people, people who can change, people who can admit to their mistakes, people who regret, suffer for and come to realize that they have not lived their life in the best, wisest or healthiest way.

This writer has, as we all have or will, experienced an evolution in his life in many ways. One among many evolutions, was coming from being a prisoner for a short period of time in a state penitentiary in the United States to working with prisoners in a provincial prison in Cambodia. One of the things that I learned and saw from my own prison experience was that men in prison have that mixture of states of mind and behavior that we all have. They can be sincere and helpful or fearful and angry.

The Buddhist teachings are very clear about how we can be as human beings. We can either be unwise, unhealthy and unwholesome or the opposite, that being wise, healthy and wholesome.

We can for the most part gain the respect of any man in any situation if they know that we are sincere. For the men that this writer works with in a provincial prison in Cambodia, part of that respect was brought about when they learned that I do this work for free, and that I do not receive any kind of salary or benefits in doing it or that I do not work for any kind of organization.

For my part, I have begun to see most of the prisoners there as friends and as being children to me. This is partly because of my age (I am 55) and also because of what Buddhism teaches us and the evolution that it brings about in us through its practice.

The understanding and application of loving kindness and compassion are two of the major practices of Buddhism, and when we habitually and naturally see others in this light, we will act towards them in a manner which fosters understanding and a respectful connection.

In fact, this writer has learned that humility and sincerity in any action is something that is appreciated by others and that kindness will eventually be appreciated.

We seem to live in an at times unkind world, and we are not always mindful about how our own attitudes and actions may be adding to this state.

We are taught by various forces to pursue this and that, or that happiness, peace and contentment come through various things, without having the mindfulness to see that a joyful and productive life is one that stems from mindfulness, discipline and balance.

Achieving such things in life is what the teachings and disciplines of Yoga and Buddhism have as their objective and nothing else. We do not have to look upon them with a distrustful or wary eye.

If we can teach them to prisoners in any country of the world in a clear and committed manner, we will help men and women experience a change in their life that will make them more focused and balanced, so that they have a greater ability to find their way in life.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  8:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To Be A Yoga Teacher, One Has To Be A Yoga Student

In this writer’s attempts to teach Yoga to individuals in Cambodia, I have come across a curious phenomenon among three different people. Each one of them has done one or two Yoga classes with me or observed me teach and then they are telling me that they are going to be teachers of Yoga in the future.

Though I both admire and respect their interest in becoming and doing such a thing, I need to remind them that in order to be a Yoga teacher in the future, one has to be a Yoga student in the present. This requires a commitment, study and application of all of the teachings and disciplines of Yoga, not just the practice of postures once a day.

Too many times we think of Yoga as being something that is physical and then think that that is all we need to know and understand and be able to do in relation to it in order to teach it.

Such a narrow - minded perspective of and approach to Yoga can cause problems as teachers who think this way will not be able to develop themselves as both human beings and Yoga practitioners and teachers. They will spend too much with the physical aspect of Yoga and not understand the importance of non – violence, compassion, loving – kindness, contentment and non – greed, among other things.

Yoga, in both its practice and the teaching of it involves an overall change in our approach to life, to ourselves and to other people.

The changes that we experience through the postures are something that goes along way to bringing about such a change but they alone do not develop the mind and consciousness in the way that Yoga teaches us that we are capable of and should work to.

If one can not have the attitude that they are not only a Yoga teacher, but a lifelong and ongoing student of both Yoga and life, they will never reach their potential as human beings and as Yoga teachers, and in falling short of such a goal, they may find themselves doing themselves and others a disservice.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough
Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  8:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Update on Yoga, Buddhist and English Education Projects in Cambodia – November 10th, 2006

This writer has just completed a thirty - day period of volunteer work in Cambodia. It was his fortieth such trip over the last four years. Another such trip of equal length will be embarked upon during the first week of December of this year.

The purpose of this essay and posting is to give those people who have provided donations and financial support for this work and other interested parties a status report on that work, how it is progressing, what we continue to learn from it and what our objectives are for the immediate future and in the long - run.

· Yoga and Buddhist education in the prison – This has been our core work for the last year and there has been a lot of progress made with the teaching of this class. This includes using a prisoner to act as a translator for the teacher and the teacher now having good enough Khmer language ability to teach the class on his own. We also use a chart written in Khmer to assist us in teaching about Yoga and Buddhism and have recently brought in a Khmer Buddhist monk to assist with teaching the classes on a daily basis.

· Teaching Yoga to those individuals who have been made handicapped by land mines, accidents or through birth – This class is held two times a week on an irregular basis because the learners are not always available for learning. This is because the center that trains them does not always have learners attending classes and courses throughout the year. Also, learners sometimes do not wish to attend classes because they find the classes to be too demanding. We may make some adjustments in teaching these classes in the year 2007, when they will start again.

· Prison amenity fund – This fund provides hats, dictionaries, clothing and food for needy prisoners who lack these things or may benefit from having them.

· Student support and amenity fund – This fund provides hats, clothing, dictionaries and other material support for low-income learners, mostly those who come from villages and farming families to complete their secondary school education in Sereisophan, the provincial capital for Banteay Meanchey Province. This may also include things such as providing gas canisters for cooking food on, providing money for repairing bicycles, and providing wholesome activities for young students away from their family, home and village to engage in and help them relax from the stress of their studies and life.

· English language teaching – In this work, we provide free instruction and assistance to those learners who wish to improve their English language ability. This is done through one on one teaching and learning, short special courses to small classes and formal and informal classes for small groups of Khmer learners.

· English language teacher training – In this work, we provide information, advice and training on an informal basis to those Khmer individuals who wish to become English language teachers in the future.

Immediate and long - term objectives of our work:
· Provide a house and safe, secure and comfortable home for selected learners from the villages so that they can concentrate on their studies. We think that the yearly fee for such a house will be about five hundred U.S. dollars
· Continue to teach Yoga and Buddhism to the prisoners in the local prison while at the same time making an effort to enlarge the educational programs that can be made available to the men.
· Continue to work to networking with other organizations and people that do similar work in assisting the Khmer people.
· Continue to work to the setting up of some kind of legally recognized organization that will allow us to expand our work to other prisons and also apply for funding.

We continue to be in need of donations in order to continue with our work and build on it in a positive and evolving manner. If you wish to make a donation, please look over the remittance instructions which have been attached.

Thank you once again for your attention and interest in this work.
Go to Top of Page

John C. Kimbrough

Thailand
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  8:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit John C. Kimbrough's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What Do You Have To Wear To Practice Yoga and Buddhism

Like many westerners who developed an interest in Yoga, Buddhism and Indian philosophies and lifestyles, there was a period of time when I started to wear Indian clothing. That period of time is largely in the last now though my clothing is a bit unusual being an adaptation of both Indian and Pakistani Islamic clothing, that being loose and comfortable for teaching Yoga in, but also neat and presentable in all circumstances and occasions.

In order to practice the Yoga postures, it is best to wear loose clothing, preferably cotton. This kind of clothing is also suitable and comfortable for doing any kind of meditation practice.

But as both Yoga and Buddhist scripture tells us more then once, what we wear and how we look has little if any influence on how far we have worked on ourselves in order to weaken and destroy those aspects of our being that cause suffering.

In fact, there are a number of scriptures in The Dhammapada that say that the robe that the Buddhist monk wears means little or nothing if the man who wears it is lax in his practice or dishonest and has desires of various kinds.

The reality is that we can wear anything and be anywhere and be practicing Yoga and Buddhism.

We can wear blue jeans and a hard hat and do construction work in Texas, or work on an oilrig at sea. We can wear a business suit and live and work in Singapore, Shanghai or New York.

We can wear a chef’s outfit, a blouse and skirt, a school, football or baseball uniform or even nothing at all.

Practicing Yoga and Buddhism has little to do with what we wear and all to do with our mindfulness and our ability to look at ourselves with mindfulness and stop those fluctuations of mind and consciousness that lead to suffering and problems.

This can be achieved and in doing it we are engaged in an ongoing effort to purify ourselves.

What we wear is not a factor.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  12:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000