Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 focusing, forcing and favoring the mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I feel like I don't really get the hang on the meditation. I'm now almost a month into it and regularly practicing. It seems that my problem is my focus. If I focus on the mantra I can't lose it. I don't get distracted. It's the same when I am focusing on anything else, I just won't let go off it till I have reached whatever I try to achieve. This is normally very helpfull because it enables me to do things much faster than other people. But doing the meditation it seems to me that it is more a burden than a good thing.
It can happen that some thoughts occur while I'm on the mantra but that doesn't bother me and I just stay on the mantra. I'm a little bit unsure if I am forcing the mantra instead of favoring it. I have to actively tell myself to let go off the mantra to lose it and then I can come back to it again. I tried this a few times and once I felt really good after the meditation. I felt happy without any reason. ^^
Any thoughts on how I should progress in the meditation?
Yaming

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  09:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yaming,
When you realize you are not losing the mantra, treat that as a distraction and relax back into the procedure of easily picking the mantra again.
Losing the mantra or not losing the mantra... the thought of this, the thought that "I have lost the mantra" or "I am not losing the mantra"... it's this thought that is the point where you go back to easily repeating the mantra.

Here is how Yogani explains it:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3932#34060
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by skorpion63

The thing is my mind never goes away from the mantra so there is no question of bringing it back. Does this mean i am doing something wrong or is it not working for me?

Hi Scorpion, and welcome!

It is fine. The fact that you notice the "mind never going away from the mantra" is a thought other than the mantra, right? This is normal. When noticed, just easily favor the mantra over that or any thought. There can be mantra and thoughts mixed together, with the mantra in the background or foreground. It doesn't matter. The procedure stays the same. We never force, just gently favor according to the procedure.

The mantra does not have to be a clear mental pronunciation. In a given session, or over a series of sessions, it will naturally change as purification and opening occur in the nervous system. There is nothing to monitor or judge about it. Monitoring the progress of meditation while doing it is not meditation. We easily favor the mantra over the monitoring. In time, it becomes an easy habit -- it is the habit of stillness we are cultivating. Whenever other thoughts occur, like "I am thinking the mantra all the time," just ease back to the mantra. This can be in a very faint and fuzzy place, and then gone to pure bliss consciousness...

You are doing very well. In some time, the process of daily deep meditation will settle in, and you will notice its affects more and more in your normal daily activity. Carry on, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Take a look at this topic, maybe it will help.
What if we never lose the mantra?

And maybe this lesson will help too:
Lesson 195 - Q&A – Mantra, thoughts, and attention
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  10:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,
thank you very much. The links helped quite a bit to understand it better. I think I got the hang on it now (just had a great meditation). There is a big difference between a "relaxed" focuse and a tensed one. I was more doing the tensed one. I figured out that I need a few minutes to relax my body and mind which allows me to focus on the mantra in the right way.
Again thank yo
Yaming
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  08:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome, Yaming!!!

Yes, relaxed focus, that's it... pick the mantra as easily as you can... not try to control it but come back to it when it is gone... or come back to it when it is not going away (too much focus).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000