Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Newcomer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matsya

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  11:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody!

I am very gratefull to yogani for such a grande undertaking. Spreading the wisdom of yoga and informing the students at the same time. I have just found out about this site and forum, and have been reading some of the lessons, topics. All I can say, what a bunch of lovely, helpfull people you are! I embarked upon the yogic path 2-3 years ago, and, with ups and downs, still continue with deep respect. My practice up till now is mainly Hatha and pranayam ,with a few episodes of ashtanga vinyasa (found/find it hard to endure). I am convinced I will learn alot around here, and am planning to stay a while (therefore this intro) .

I am full of joy to have finally found a steady guide to unfold this ego and learn the true meaning of bhakti! Love to all of you!

Ehem, while I'm at it I might ask a small question. Sinds I would like to strengthen this body a little bit, I am planning to incorporate a short (maybe one day full) vinyasa serie in my daily AYP's. Because I dont want to overdo (I have done in the past and payed the price ) I was wondering if the AYP's have brought you some physical strength too? Anybody experience with this combi?

Thanks!
Marcel

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  12:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Marcel!

Sounds like you have come to the right place with the right stuff. As you have already noticed, this is indeed a place of much beauty and love -- more than I am a able to express.

And there is strength too. I would not say my AYP's have given me more strength, or less. There may be a pattern of cause and effect I have not noticed. I have not asked your specific question before. My body is strong enough to do what it does, which includes a few vinyasa style asanas that I do only once per week. The rest of the time my strengthening comes from biking and walking. I have been impressed at how, when I change my routine of muscular strengthening exercises, by body responds to meet the challenge in not too long, a few weeks or so.

I think your plan sounds like a good fit.

Enjoy,

Bewell

Edited by - bewell on Feb 23 2011 12:17:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  12:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Marcel, welcome!!!!!

LOVE

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  1:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very happy to have you on board matsya
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  6:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Marcel, welcome to the forums...

Looking forward to your sharing!

P.s.: Don't forget that it is not desirable to activate the body too much with vigorous asana practice right before sitting practices. The asana sequence provided in a.y.p. is just right for using before sitting. Vigorous training should be better done in your active time, between sittings. Take care

Edited by - mimirom on Feb 23 2011 6:33:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  6:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums, Marcel!

I don't see mediation anywhere in your routine. If you don't practice it, it may be a good idea to add some deep meditation (http://www.aypsite.org/13.html) to your routine. This will add some balance to your routine.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

matsya

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  04:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks bewell, Yonatan, faileforever, mimirom and Shanti (spelling just to learn some names ).

@ bewell. Good to hear. I might adopt a small routine with some vinyasa based asanas in my AYP. The only problem is, my room is a couple inches to low for performing surya namaskar (maybe I'm just to big ). Mostly I practice outside, tho it can get pretty cold sometimes.

@ mimirom. Good advice! I am gonna go for a couple of basic asanas before meditation. Vinyasa is going to be last on the list (2x SPB, DM and maybe 1x vinyasa). I'm going to look up the asanas adviced by yogani, thanks!

@ Shanti. Excuzi, I called DM and SPB together AYP . Sinds I'm only at lesson 80(?), that pretty much sums AYP up for me hihi. DM has to become the cornerstone of my practice, thanks!

Love,
Marcel
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  08:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
@ Shanti. Excuzi, I called DM and SPB together AYP . Sinds I'm only at lesson 80(?), that pretty much sums AYP up for me hihi. DM has to become the cornerstone of my practice, thanks!

Ahhh!!!
Sorry about that Marcel.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  03:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by matsya
...ashtanga vinyasa ....planning to incorporate a short (maybe one day full) vinyasa serie in my daily AYP's.

Marcel

As you may recall, I said I did a vinyasa style of yoga once a week. What I said was technically incorrect if by vinyasa style one means "Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga" or Ashtanga Yoga popularized by K. Pattabhi Jois.

But your post got me thinking about what the words ashtanga and vinyasa mean. Ashtanga means eight limbs. In his book, "Eight Limbs of Yoga," Yogani says that "virtually every yoga teacher claims to be teaching them (the eight limbs)..."
http://books.google.com/books?id=fz...anga&f=false

When I said I do some vinyasa yoga I did not know what I was talking about. I have done the surya namaskar many times but not with the particular style promoted by Ashtanga Vinyasa where for example there is a leap from the push-up position back into the forward bend they way it is demonstrated so expertly here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5PSqmnu88
I did not flow that smoothly -- I could not even touch my toes without bending my knees

I would probably not thought to say any of this except that this afternoon in my afternoon yoga class which is taught in an outreach I am part of to a juvenile mens jail, my asana teacher introduced the specific language of "Ashtanga Vinyasa/flow" yoga, and taught us to add that leap into the flow of the sun salutation. He had never done that before. So my technical lie became technically true: I did a Ashtanga Vinyasa flow style yoga today. While I was doing it I had a feeling of connection to you that was quite delightful.

Love,

Be

Edited by - bewell on Feb 25 2011 03:23:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000