Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 physical labor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know if intense physical labor directly affects one's sadhana and the energetic quality of one's state?

I know physical labor is extremely grounding. Might it be too grounding?

I'm considering a job as a roofer which would require 6 long days of physical labor a week. Would this adversely affect my practice?

j

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is very good for your practice. I don't think there is any such thing as too much grounding. i do electrical work, which is often very physically demanding, although not as much as roofing. When it is, my practice is very good. When blood pumps faster, so does chi. And when the body is tired meditation is better.
Just make sure you take good care of your body and don't let it get abused by all the work.
By that I mean a good, high veggie not too high fat diet, plenty of water, stretching.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  3:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As to the question of doing "intense physical labor," I think it is marvelous. If you can build up your body to be able to handle that amount of physical labor, it might just become a job that shows you what it is like to be in really peak physical condition. Roofing is one option, but not the only one.

Roofing! Humm, I have some thoughts on roofing. I have worked on a couple of roofs and have good memories from it. A couple of weeks ago, I had breakfast with an old man (80+) who I did roof work with when I was a teenager. We reminisced about that roofing job, and a roof-top conversation we had back then about sexual desire and how the beauty of a woman is like the beauty of a sunset -- it cannot be grasped. These many years later, he told me an additional part of the metaphor, "it passes."

Years after I worked with him, he fell off a ladder and nearly died. Although his recovery was remarkable, he shared with me his lament of having lost most of his sensation in the whole area of his tail bone, including sexual functioning. He and his wife are making adjustments. Later the day of my breakfast with that roofing mentor, I spoke with an uncle by marriage who used to have a job framing metal barns. He was able to walk on four inch (not sure exactly how) rafters two stories high and do it safely with no dysfunctional fear. I told him I had great admiration for what he was able to do, but I am sure that would not be for me. I have too much fear of heights. My thought about roofing is this: If you can do it safely, and without excessive fear (which is actually part of doing it safely), go for it. If not, do something else. Well, maybe that is not "my" thought. I was more or less quoting a Mexican neighbor who was a roofing contractor. Let's give credit where credit is due: "Cuidado, no miedo!"

Edited by - bewell on Feb 09 2011 4:00:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  4:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, being in the business, I always look at how buildings are constructed, and think about what people had to do to build them. Most house and garage roofs are NBD, but occasionally I see commercial roofs, fifty feet up in the air, fancy multi-section design, radical slope, and I think OMG those guys rock! I'm sure they tied themselves off to something, but with those slopes you couldn't stand on if you wanted, I feel for you guys

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.texastileroofing.com/ProductSlate.htm

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 09 2011 4:03:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  4:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your replies.

As far as heights, that's not much of an issue. One summer when i worked for the roofing company back as a teen i fell off a 20 ft roof. I bounced right back up because i was more scared of being bitched out by the workers then of the fall, hehe...

Still remember the feeling of finishing up a hard day, sitting up against a tree and cracking open a beer...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  8:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I used to be afraid of heights. So I learned to sky dive. Not afraid anymore!
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  1:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wakeupneo
... as a teen i fell off a 20 ft roof. I bounced right back up...

Wow, I'm glad you were able to bounce back up! My impression is that that kind of quick recovery is pretty unusual. I am guessing you landed unusually well under the circumstances.

I'm curious: Did you take the rest of the day off, or just get right back to work? Did it hurt?

Edited by - bewell on Feb 10 2011 1:45:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  2:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I landed on my rear and continued working.

It didn't hurt at all, it was more shock then anything
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  8:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a very remarkable experience! Not something I would previously have thought possible.
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  12:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Wakeupneo,

My understanding is that overexertion is not good for your sadhana.

quote:
15. Yoga fails by the six [causes]--overeating, over-exertion, excessive talk, the observance of
[unsuitable] disciplines, promiscuous company and unsteadiness.

This is mentioned in the Hatha Yoga pradapika above. I have done My fair share of manual labour though and in my last job as a tree lopper I found meditations after work were more energetic and I was usually exhuasted.... go figure
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000