Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Goals and Pressence?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

erik89

Norway
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  2:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit erik89's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
One thing has been bugging me a little bit.

I'm thinking about having spesific goals and building a character. How does this work with being in the pressent moment. Is it okay to vizualize and put emotions into how I want to be and where I wanna go... or is this counterproductive for enlightenment?

I've heard that you should have none attachment, but then I don't think I would work towards my goals. Or can I be exited about my goals, but at the same time not be attached?

This has really been confusing me..

Thanks for answers :)

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  6:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by erik89

One thing has been bugging me a little bit.

I'm thinking about having spesific goals and building a character. How does this work with being in the pressent moment. Is it okay to vizualize and put emotions into how I want to be and where I wanna go... or is this counterproductive for enlightenment?

I've heard that you should have none attachment, but then I don't think I would work towards my goals. Or can I be exited about my goals, but at the same time not be attached?

This has really been confusing me..

Thanks for answers :)

Nothing wrong with having goals, nothing wrong with working towards them. nothing wrong with "visualize and put emotions into how I want to be and where I wanna go" (although don't get too specific, that way you are not limiting yourself with the mind, why limit yourself and ask for a million dollars when the universe can send you a billion)... just don't be attached to the outcome. Meaning, if things don't look like what the mind thinks it should look like in the near future, don't be disappointed and sad and upset... be open to whatever happens now, knowing it is exactly what you need now in order for you to reach that goal. Trust!!!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  7:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What she said

On a very deep level, you already know who you are, and want to be. Sometimes the mind wants to control who it thinks we should be, but our ideas can actually limit us. We are capable of far greater things than the mind wants us to believe. And you can't help but be who you are anyways.

You are perfect as you are. I hope you realize that.

Love to you
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

erik89

Norway
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  11:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit erik89's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Nothing wrong with having goals, nothing wrong with working towards them. nothing wrong with "visualize and put emotions into how I want to be and where I wanna go" (although don't get too specific, that way you are not limiting yourself with the mind, why limit yourself and ask for a million dollars when the universe can send you a billion)... just don't be attached to the outcome. Meaning, if things don't look like what the mind thinks it should look like in the near future, don't be disappointed and sad and upset... be open to whatever happens now, knowing it is exactly what you need now in order for you to reach that goal. Trust!!!

Thanks shanti
I got more clearety now. About the thing, not being to spesific. I've read diffrent places that it is important to be spesific about how you want it to look like, say I want money for a hollyday. Then I f.eks need 5000$ before 1. march. If I just put up a goal for money that could mean any amount and time.

I am coaching people and helping them reach there goals, so I feel like we at least need to put up how the goal loks like pretty spesific? But then rather drop the steps how to get there.

Or do you suggest something like this? (I write goals in pressence)

"I have a happy and fullfilled life with alot of good friends around me and a loving family.I have an aboundance of girls I like in my life. I have more than enough money to travel the world and have fun! I'm working towards my life purpus to help people get fullfilled and happy"

quote:
What she said

On a very deep level, you already know who you are, and want to be. Sometimes the mind wants to control who it thinks we should be, but our ideas can actually limit us. We are capable of far greater things than the mind wants us to believe. And you can't help but be who you are anyways.

You are perfect as you are. I hope you realize that.

Love to you
cosmic

Thanks for loving words Cosmic

At what point do you think our ideas can limit us?

I realize more and more that it is just about allowing and accepting me and other people around me and I discover my self deeper and better each day.

Love to both of you
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  08:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi erik89,
Well, you can do what you are doing/teaching and set a specific goal and reach it. However, by doing this you are limiting yourself.
Here is something I had written to someone:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=5569#50111
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:
Originally posted by Searchtruth

When you say that Samyama delivers what is best for you does it mean that maybe the results will not always be what i want?? Best does not equal what i desire?

You are limited by what your mind imagines you need. To a beggar on the street the mind will be happy with $100, to someone who has $100, a $1000 is a lot... so you see the mind can only think within its limits. Hence in samyama it is suggested to pick the surta and let it go in silence.. not expecting anything from the sutra .. because when you expect you limit yourself to what the mind can imagine.. when you just let the word dissolve in silence and trust your silence will give you what is best for you.. even if your mind is not happy with it.. it will be more than what the mind could imagine it to be. Why ask for $5000 when you can get 5 million (even if it is beyond our minds comprehension) if you just let go.

When you are starting off with samyama, it is not possible to do the practice without the desire to achieve something. But just keep something at the back of your mind at all times, "I don't know what is best for me.. the silence does.. so even though I do want this n that.. I am also going to stay open to whatever the outcome may be". As long as you don't bind yourself to the expected outcome.. as long as you have expectations, but don't bind your being to it.. you will actually be able to experience the miracles that start flowing into your life. Since the mind is not expecting it.. they are very pleasant surprises.. but if the mind is attached to the outcome.. the mind will be focused on this one thing and miss the 100 other blessings that are happening. Like if god says he will visit you the next day.. and you are waiting for god to show up in a form your mind has imagined god to be.. you will miss his presence when he brushes your face as a butterfly.

And Ananda, I agree "samyama remains an action of letting go for spiritual enhancement thus it is smthg done with purpose".. but when you have an idea of what spiritual enhancement looks like.. you are limiting yourself. Each person's journey is unique.. and the mind can only base spiritual enhancement based of someone else's experience.. which may never be our own. So it is best to do samyama with as little attachment to the outcome as possible from where you are. The letting go will happen naturally. More layers of the mind fall away.. more you relax into letting go. That's all.

Again, go with what feels right right now. Don't ever try to understand things with the mind that don't make sense, because they become concepts/ideas that will become a goal and then have to be let go.

Keep practicing, and stay open to changes that may happen. Don't bind yourself with any ideas. If you believe in something right now, go with it, but always be ready to drop things that feel like they need to get dropped, so as to make room for the new freedom that will flow in.

And yes, keep practicing... cultivation of stillness will give you the answers you seek and so much more.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  08:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I realize more and more that it is just about allowing and accepting me and other people around me and I discover my self deeper and better each day.

Lovely!!!
Yes... just keep practicing and the beauty of the stillness will be revealed more and more as the layers of the "mind self" drops away...
And your statement above is so true... it can actually be condensed to "just about allowing and accepting"...

Thank you!!!!

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Erik

quote:

At what point do you think our ideas can limit us?

When they prevent us from receiving the gifts that Life is trying to give us. Doubts about what's possible can close our mind to wonderful opportunities. Or if our idea about what we want is too rigid, we can resist when something even greater is trying to enter our lives. What I'm realizing in this past year is that Life wants our happiness. We are made for love and happiness, but we often resist these things.

Just to clarify, I feel it's our attachment to thoughts that can limit us, rather than the thoughts themselves. Having goals and a vision for our lives can be very empowering and lead us to a greater expression of who we are. Especially if there's already self-acceptance, and we're not trying to change because we feel incomplete.

Thank you for the question, Erik. It helped me to see something and I am deeply grateful. Wish you the best on your journey and in life.

With Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

erik89

Norway
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit erik89's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

erik89

Norway
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  01:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit erik89's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
When they prevent us from receiving the gifts that Life is trying to give us. Doubts about what's possible can close our mind to wonderful opportunities. Or if our idea about what we want is too rigid, we can resist when something even greater is trying to enter our lives. What I'm realizing in this past year is that Life wants our happiness. We are made for love and happiness, but we often resist these things.

Just to clarify, I feel it's our attachment to thoughts that can limit us, rather than the thoughts themselves. Having goals and a vision for our lives can be very empowering and lead us to a greater expression of who we are. Especially if there's already self-acceptance, and we're not trying to change because we feel incomplete.

Thank you for the question, Erik. It helped me to see something and I am deeply grateful. Wish you the best on your journey and in life.

With Love
cosmic

This resonate very good for me right now. I've been thinking: why would I only go about my goals when I have felt some pain and feeled unfullfilled? Now I have been feeling very satisfied for a litle while and noticed that my vission has a much deeper meaning. It is a feeling of love when I think about it, but still things are perfect as they are

I am very glad it helped you see something and I wish you the best on your journey

Love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000