Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Suffering diminishes when self interest decreases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  10:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Paramahansa Yogananda's words from "The Essence of the Bhagavad Ghita". "Suffering diminishes when self interest decreases".

I thought it was so true, and it awoke a great joy and inspiration in me. Stumbling through delusion is so confusing sometimes, that to hear words of truth can be so useful.

Hope you are all well. Love,

Josh

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  6:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Josh,

the Buddha says: "The amount of suffering equals the amount of clinging."

Same thing. And it is very interesting mathematics indeed...

All the best, Mr. Anderson
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  01:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like Eckhart Tolle's view, which is ending identification with desire.
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  01:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As Said By Buddha,"Desire is the CAUSE of Suffering"!
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  07:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Josh

quote:
Paramahansa Yogananda's words from "The Essence of the Bhagavad Ghita". "Suffering diminishes when self interest decreases".

I thought it was so true, and it awoke a great joy and inspiration in me. Stumbling through delusion is so confusing sometimes, that to hear words of truth can be so useful.

Hope you are all well. Love,

Josh

Thanks for this Josh - it is such a simple truth isn't it. It is a blessing when words like that starts resonating within our hearts.
I am very touched by the sharing of your joy and inspiration.....it speaks of what is becoming directly true for you and this is the very unfolding of the above quote. Self-interest.....organically expanding/transforming into the expression of Wisdom.

Thanks for the reminder and all the best

Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  6:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks all :-)
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  9:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very true, and at the same time hopefully we will develop compassion for those who haven't yet realized this truth. Personally I feel I live a "charmed life" in which I have issues I struggle with, but compared to many other people in the world I feel my troubles are nothing.

For instance, there are small children who have lost their parents in locations that are perpetually at war. They have real reasons to suffer. Of course loss of self interest or desire would take away their suffering, but let us not think we are above these people because the solution to their problems looks easy to us.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  03:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that seems to be the effect of meditation.

Where I once saw problems I now see beauty.

Yesterday I was working on a bolt with a rounded head on my motorcycle. Once upon a time this would have had me climbing the walls in frustration, worrying that it was a huge problem an imagining all the hassle and aggravation that would ensue.

Now it just seems like a thing of incredible beauty and delicacy, something that simply IS, like a flower it has it's own design, total perfection. It is also part of me.

With desire I see it as imperfect, flawed a direct challenge and a problem. Without desire I just get on with the job of removing it.

This is a big change for me because I can well remember the tantrums and tool chucking of old, the idea that it 'had it in for me', the stupidity of a manufacturer using that bolt
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  12:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
awesome, thanks for sharing Karl. I know exactly what you mean.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000