Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Ghee for dry skin.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  12:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Quiet accidentally I discovered something and was wondering if anybody had heard of this. Every morning I light an oil lamp in front of God. I use Ghee (clarified butter). My hands had very dry skin, and I had heard in India they sometimes rub ghee to get rid of dry skin. So I after I poured some in the lamp, the little extra that was on the rim of the bottle, I would rub off on my palms and fingers. This worked really well for the dry skin. However, there was one other thing I noticed. I work with computers all day and do a lot of keying, and my wrists and finger joints hurt.. it gets so bad sometimes that I need to wear wrist guards. Ever since I have been rubbing this ghee.. my joint pains have disappeared.. Does anybody know anything about this. Also, the reason I don't eat ghee with my food.. which by the was is a huge delicacy in India... is because it is finally butter.. very high saturated fat.. so what are the chances of the ghee getting absorbed by the blood stream and clogging up my system?

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 08 2007 01:37:51 AM

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  1:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Shanti, yes, Ghee is really just butter with some milk solids removed by melting and settling.

Regarding diet, it's always complex, and the best recommendations and cautions are person-specific. I don't know what the 'current' status of butter is, that is, I don't know how 'bad' it is for the arteries.

Some years ago, eggs were seen as near-demons because of their very high level of cholesterol. Some doctors/scientists were recommending not more than one egg a week! But it turns out that, while they have very high cholesterol, they aren't so bad at all for the arteries! Now, two eggs a day is not seen as a problem for most people. High cholesterol isn't in itself enough to make something 'bad'.

For years I've been saying that 'low fat' is a terrible, destructive fad. And I turned out to be right. The result of a very large, high-scientific-status study recently has found that a mere 'low fat' diet in itself has no observable benefits whatsoever for the health! I think that study was specific to women.

As I say though, I don't know the status of butter. Does anyone?

Edited by - david_obsidian on Mar 15 2006 1:44:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  9:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Anything dairy is best from cows who are grass-only fed and organic. Butter itself is not "bad"; it just becomes way less desirable on things such as bread. High fat is likewise not unhealthy - it's the diet in whole for the specific person. Ghee is often used in many ayurvedic rejuvenative preparations.

Basically agree. But notice that ayurvedic is from india, and people there have quite different bodies from Americans.

I don't know exactly the status of butter. But from most books, it's not recommended. At least for most Americans. Here's what I think:

Asians have, in general, a thinner body and lower cholesterol level. Take me as an example, I am a big fat-eater. I even DRINK olive oil. (I know olive is healthy, but I also eat every bit of fats in all the meat I ate) Now I have Avocados evrey morning. All these contain much fat and high cholesterol (including "bad" and "good" ones). But I still have a low cholesterol level: HDL: 1.3 mmol/L; LDL: 1.5 mmol/L. Total : 2.9 mmol/L. Just look at the total one: 2.9. This figure is from 2 years ago, when I was still a heavy meat (with all fats) eater! What's the normal range? 5.2 -6.2mmol/L. I bet Americans have a higher average. So what's healthy or acceptable for me (and many Asians) may not be so for most Americans.

The rate which we use up fats and cholesterol is associated with a kind of hormones, the name of which I've to look up if you guys are interested. But knowing it won't help much--it's more up to your genes.

So, while there are many people who are taking too little fats, there are also those who are taking too much. For me, I would not gain even 1/2 pound by drinking 20ml of olive oil everyday, because they will all be used up. (I don't even have to be active) A low-fat diet will make me feel uncomfortable, and probably unhealthy. But not for many.

I think it's also true that many people are too extreme on low-fat diet, too low that the diet becomes unhealthy.
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2006 :  2:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Hello Folks, I am a fellow Ghee user... From 'go' or cow and also means shafts of light. In the Ved, the cow is the symbol of spirituality (adhyatma), and is considered a blessing to the owners.

Ghee also increases one's ojas, in the body. I use ghee daily.

If you care to know a bit more about this ojas, you can visit:
http://www.ojas.us/ojas.html

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Mar 19 2006 3:04:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  01:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000