Enlightenment Milestones
 oneness vs. yamas and niyamas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pureconsciousness

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  07:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing yoga for about 20 years and adopted the AYP methods about 2 years ago with excellent results. The same can be said of my friend, who has now attained a state of oneness during meditation since practicing AYP.

Since the beginning of my yoga practice I was taught that yogis should be established in the yamas and niyamas, the basic code of goodness which means you don't lie, steal, cheat, covet, etc. The problem is my friend basically disregards these precepts and does whatever she wants, lying to people regularly, being irresponsible, not supporting her child, among other things.

The result of this has been that I now question a lot of the basic teachings. If it's true you can attain oneness without being established in these precepts, what else isn't true? It's really shaken my faith in the yogic teachings even to the point where I can't trust that the established monks and advanced practitioners are telling me the truth.

I just wanted some guidance from somebody who may be able to help me with how to deal with this. Thanks.

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  11:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You shouldn't trust that established monks or advanced practitioners are telling you the truth. You shouldn't even trust that any particular book or text is going to tell you the truth. You should trust your own experience. Yoga is the natural expression of the potentialities of the human nervous system. Anything else is extraneous to that. It's good that you are questioning these things that you feel to be foundational to "the yogic teachings." I hope you continue to question without giving up on the practices. The questioning is a part of the process.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  1:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
would you be willing to support her child if the child showed up to at door?

have you ever been irresponsible?

have you ever lied?

so you think that maybe you would benefit her and yourself and others better if you concentrated on your own jewel lotus within? instead of measuring her lack og goodness?

aum--

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  2:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you can't judge people from what you see on the outside. It is much more complex than that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000