Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Consensus on def. of consciousness v. awareness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DansInEveryWay

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  10:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

In watching some psych lectures, and reading general self inquiry notes, I have run into quite a lot of confusion concerning the similar terms of, well, presence of mind versus absence thereof.

I'm hoping I can get a "yay" or "nay", and your own definitions from you guys of the following: consciousness and awareness..

awareness:
something (the ever present witness) underlying every moment of existence. this includes the limited sub/consciousness of course.

So with that said

consciousness:
1. the recognition of concentration of awareness onto an object. (sorry, confusing )
2. the articulation of awareness into meaning.

I know it's all mindstuff, but the jnani in me loves it.

Love to you all
Dan

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  08:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DansInEveryWay

awareness:
something (the ever present witness) underlying every moment of existence. this includes the limited sub/consciousness of course.

yay

quote:

consciousness:
1. the recognition of concentration of awareness onto an object. (sorry, confusing )
2. the articulation of awareness into meaning.

yay

Matches my understanding. I am not a well read jnani, so my definition may not be as per the books, but my experience is...
Awareness is the stillness from which all arises. The base that is ever present.
Consciousness is the movement... stillness moving.
Awareness of awareness is also consciousness.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to say "I concur".

This is the exact understanding taught in Kashmir Shaivism.

Prakasha is Shiva, the pure light of awareness we each and all ever actually are, now.

Vimarsha is Shakti, that same light reflecting, and therefore aware of itself as self, and/or objects -- aka consciousness.

Stillness is awareness, movement is consciousness.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Dec 18 2010 7:58:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  11:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Funny, I have been re-reading this book again and I just read this..
Here is a quote from "I AM THAT" from Nisargadatta:
quote:

"Q: You use the words 'aware' and 'conscious'. Are they not the same?

M: Awareness is primordial; it is the original state, beginningless, endless, uncaused, unsupported, without parts, without change. Consciousness is on contact, a reflection against a surface, a state of duality. There can be no consciousness without awareness, but there can be awareness without consciousness, as in deep sleep. Awareness is absolute, consciousness is relative to its content; consciousness is always of something. Consciousness is partial and changeful, awareness is total, changeless, calm and silent. And it is the common matrix of every experience.

Q: How does one go beyond consciousness into awareness?

M: Since it is awareness that makes consciousness possible, there is awareness in every state of consciousness. Therefore the very consciousness of being conscious is already a movement in awareness. Interest in your stream of consciousness takes you to awareness. It is not a new state. It is at once recognised as the original, basic existence, which is life itself, and also love and joy."

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

DansInEveryWay

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  3:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
excellent! thank you Shanti, Kirtanman and TI. hearing it worded differently really helps one to get a clear & flexible understanding of the idea. TI, i need to find that book. i've seen some other posts where you quoted him and it is always so inspiring!
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  10:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

excellent! thank you Shanti, Kirtanman and TI. hearing it worded differently really helps one to get a clear & flexible understanding of the idea. TI, i need to find that book. i've seen some other posts where you quoted him and it is always so inspiring!

Hi,
It is available on the net. Here is the download link:
http://www.maharajnisargadatta.com/I_Am_That.pdf
:)
TI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000