Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Some more questions on breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SophiaUnbound

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  11:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I added spinal breathing to my meditation practices about 2 months ago by using these lessons. (Woo-hoo!) I've had some of what is typically described as kundalini symptoms -- face tingling, pleasant sensations, sudden deep breaths during sitting practices, etc. This has all worked out easily as I gently refocus on the meditation practice. Friends who don't know what I'm doing are saying I look "blissed out." :-) In fact, I feel bliss-faced.

But today I learned something embarassing and funny. I've been doing spinal breathing backwards all this time! Meaning: I have been seeing the energy go down with the in breath. Stragely, this hasn't mattered too much, but I'm going to reverse it starting now. The way I found out was by reading the forum after having spontanious panting (close to hyperventilating) during deep meditation and wondering how to handle that. (I just let it happen for about a minute, opened my eyes to ground myself, and then refocussed on the mantra.) So, the panting was a sign for me to learn I'd been breathing backwards.

I'm glad the energy is supposed to move opposite the breathing instead of with it, because that way it feels more grounding.

Also, I'm wondering: if the panting continues when I reverse the energy in spinal breathing, should I try deliberate bastrika? And if so, should that come before meditation (after spinal breathing) or after meditation? Thanks!

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  09:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sophia,

Great to have you here! Yes do it as exactly said in here http://www.aypsite.org/41.html. Yes it should be reverse ie while you breath in it should start from your root chakra..

Go slow with the process and see if panting is there and add slowly bastrika. again bastrika is more of literal panting you add it at your own space no hurry at all. when you its fine u just add bastrika.

quote:
Yogani writes: "Be relaxed and easy about it, breathing as slowly and deeply as possible without discomfort. There is no need to be heroic."

The order is First some yoga poses(if you are inclined to do them),
second is Pranayama, then bastrika followed by Meditation and few minutes rest.

Love and Light
Viji

Edited by - vijikr on Dec 06 2010 09:47:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

SophiaUnbound

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  9:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Viji--
Since I posted, I've gotten stablized again but now am breathing in the right direction. The difference is that breathing starting at the root (sort of like through the root and back out the root again after traveling up and down) is definitely more grounding. No wonder my face was tingling before! All's well. Thanks again--
Sophie
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  01:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome dear yes grounding is important if the energy felt is too much then self space a little by cutting down the time of SBP and do some grounding works like walking or gardening etc

Love and Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000