Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 AYP vs 'digital yoga'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  5:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There seems to be a huge surge in interest in meditation on the net and the addition of various sites with meditation 'aids' such as binaural CDs etc. Some of these programs are sold at a hefty price. I recently visited a couple of these sites such as the Project Meditation site and others and it's a bit dismaying that one finds people who are completely new to meditation and/or having serious meditation questions being addressed by 'moderators' who have been 'meditating' for say two years or something. The queries get bland answers from said 'expert' and they are told don't worry your little head about this or that. I've meditated for over thirty years (with a few breaks here and there) and I hesitate to give anyone advise unless I'm really sure of my answers. Recently it was suggested I start a meditation class in my area here but I truly do not feel qualified. So many variables and responsibility. You get my drift.
At any rate I feel so thankful for Yogani who is a real teacher and for this website and so many on the forums here who are a great asset. The methods and experience here are unequaled anywhere else on the web in my opinion. I just hate to see newbies go to sites where they are sold digital 'meditation' and yogic pablum as well as possible harmful info. Not sure what can be done about it.
I suppose meditation CDs are ok in their place. In the past I've used them to help me sleep during especially stressful times, but as a sole approach to meditation it seems like a cookie cutter method with no allowance for the variations in experiences or the possible dangers.
I read something on one forum somewhere where a guy had used a well known (expensive)CD program and had developed serious kundalini rash etc. He was never given any help or answers from the company or anyone else. So he simply stopped using the product, not sure what happened after that.
So anyway these are some of my reflections. I'd like to hear what others think.

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  7:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Little Turtle:

That is an honor, a trust: being invited to start a yoga class. Apparently the person who invited you thinks that in light of your thirty years experience meditating, your class would be of benefit for some people (better than a CD). Would it be helpful to you to discuss those "variables and responsibilities" here at the AYP support cafe? I know there are people here who have experience in leading and starting yoga classes.

Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  8:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well the variables and responsibilities I refer to are of course possibilities of people being very sensitive to even some of the simplest techniques and how to help them with that. I suppose one could even consider the possibilities of legal liability. I live in California - the land of litigation, lol. I recall a thirty years ago a hatha yoga class I took from a well known yogi. During the second class we were doing some really basic beginning type asana and one lady in the class suddenly freaked out and began crying/melt-down. The teacher handled it well. Frankly I can imagine that teaching meditation these days would bring about similar and more intense results. I guess I'm saying I'm not sure about my ability or desire to deal with that sort of thing, yet I see folks on other forums on the net asking questions about the top of their head being blown off figuratively and getting almost no real guidance. AYP being the exception of course.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  9:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you know way more about self pacing and energy overload than a lot of teachers people are following!
You get them to sign waivers to limit liability. If you don't see them at yoga classes, go to dance studios. Most of them have a page full of legal language warning students and releasing them from liability.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  9:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Little Turtle

I only have a few seconds to respond here (baby has to go to bed) but, if you are teaching yoga and/or meditation, you should have "yoga teacher" insurance. Most companies offering this type of insurance charge about $200-$300 a year for 2 million dollars worth of coverage. These policies include everything from physical injury to sexual harassment and more. Most yoga studios require their teachers to have this type of insurance in order to teach there.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  10:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle
...we were doing some really basic beginning type asana and one lady in the class suddenly freaked out and began crying/melt-down. The teacher handled it well. Frankly I can imagine that teaching meditation these days would bring about similar and more intense results. I guess I'm saying I'm not sure about my ability or desire to deal with that sort of thing...

Back in '96 I led many free yoga classes with Yogic Sciences Research in Lansing and nobody began crying or had a meltdown. However, one woman after class told me that when she practices alone between sessions she starts to cry. I remember I kind of got scared and without exploring more of what was going on, my advice was to back off on practices. I checked with my mentor and he agreed.

Now, I think I am at a different place. I would explore with her more about what the tears mean. I think it is likely that those tears were a healthy unloading, a purification, normal scenery along the way. I am more comfortable with tears now, mine and other people's tears.

What is your journey with tears or what you call "meltdown"?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  6:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, tears are normal and a good thing to get released. Anger is also common, but with some people like me, it doesn't come out right away, but within the next day or so.

You don't need to try and find what is behind the tears, in fact it's better not to. That could cause you to make up stories to explain the feelings, and delay their release by engaging the thinking mind. What is important is to fully feel and experience the feelings that come out. Just to put your whole attention on the feeling and see what it feels like is enough.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  8:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish
You don't need to try and find what is behind the tears...

Cool
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  2:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
digital this --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOOije3IDM

two years or thirty..
as yogani suggests we must DO something

ps
we are all conformists
to the sacred spirituality
of uniform text
and formatting

Edited by - delta33 on Dec 09 2010 2:12:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000