Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Tendency to stillness and silence.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Monkey

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  09:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkey's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I got up, ate a couple of cheese slices and a small quantity of fresh peanuts. Before they could have had a chance to start being digested, I started my morning deep meditation (I know I should have done this first). Anyway, the mantra quite quickly progressed to a very quick, almost silent vibration, way up high in the sky, if that makes sense, with my eyes going upwards of their own accord. This was fine, and as a result my breathing became vary shallow, almost stopping repeatedly. Then the mantra stopped. I found I could think, and ask myself what was going on etc. I decided to go back to the mantra, and found this quite difficult. I'd start the mantra, but it just wanted to stop. I tried various forms between I AM and a continuous very quiet quick vibration, but it just wanted to stop. Although I could think, it was as though my body and 'head' were on standby, almost numb, almost asleep but not so. I did wonder if I was approaching what Theravada refers to as Access Concentration, or the 1st Jhana (Dhyana and Samadhi respectively), but I reasoned that I wasn't quite near either of these. When I finished I could move without much of a problem, though the switched off feeling did persist for 5 to 10 minutes afterwards as I got on with typing this up. Can anyone offer any comments as to what happened, as I don't think I've experienced anything exactly like this before and I'm not sure what I should have done to either progress it or counter it.

Cheers,

Giles.

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  10:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This happens for me too, when this happens and the mantra doesn't want to come up because it feels like the effort to sound it is too "gross" in the mind or disturbing the silence, then I let go in the silence. I think that the thought "I should sound the mantra when I see I'm not" can be a disturbance if in the meditation you enter a very subtle state where you just need to let go of anything. For me when I let go in silence, I can have a few moments of silence an then the mantra comes back by itself and I continue with the sounding of it. Hope this helps.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this too.

Love (:
Go to Top of Page

awaevo

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  5:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This has started happening to me also. It feels as if I am in a very small space sort of inside my chest area. My breathing usually stops momentarily. It is an intense type of silence. I enojoy this more than anything when it happens!! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000