Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Antimatter isolated and studied for the first time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  9:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For those of you who may be interested, researchers at CERN's Large Hadron Collider have finally succeed in producing antimatter particles in sufficient quantities to be measured. 38 of them to be precise. Although the existence of antimatter has long been known, scientists have never had the appropriate technology to be able to study it without it decaying too fast for their instrumentation to record any useful data. However, with the LHC, this has all changed. For those of you who are scientifically minded, I'm sure this goes without saying... But I'll say it anyway; This is going to be BIG. Possibly the most significant scientific achievement in over 100 years.

Here's a link with more info: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/...ms-trap.html

Edited by - Clear White Light on Nov 17 2010 10:33:41 PM

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  01:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Really interesting.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  07:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read about this on the BBC website yesterday - I'm so glad others are excited about it too It's an extraordinary achievement, and I agree - this is definitely going to be big. Ginormous, in fact
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  07:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is interesting how antimatter particles become annihilated the moment they come into contact with any form of non-anti-matter. Why is it that only the antimatter particles are "annihilated?" Obviously they aren't really destroyed; that would go contrary to the laws of thermodynamics, and currently there is no evidence to suggest that antimatter behaves fundamentally different from matter.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  08:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Clear White Light

I think it is interesting how antimatter particles become annihilated the moment they come into contact with any form of non-anti-matter. Why is it that only the antimatter particles are "annihilated?" Obviously they aren't really destroyed; that would go contrary to the laws of thermodynamics, and currently there is no evidence to suggest that antimatter behaves fundamentally different from matter.

I thought when anti-matter and matter particles collided they gave off electromagnetic energy via E=mc^2 i.e. both the anti-matter and matter particles are "annihilated" i.e. converted to energy ...not just the anti-matter particle.

You could think of it as matter and anti-matter colliding giving off..."Clear White Light" ;-)

Edited by - machart on Nov 18 2010 08:23:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

I thought when anti-matter and matter particles collided they gave off electromagnetic energy via E=mc^2 i.e. both the anti-matter and matter particles are "annihilated" i.e. converted to energy ...not just the anti-matter particle.

You could think of it as matter and anti-matter colliding giving off..."Clear White Light" ;-)

Ordinarily that is how the idea is presented. This is why it was confusing to me. If that were true than the instrumentation that CERN used to analyze the antimatter would be destroyed in the experiment. When the antimatter particles come into contact with the edges of the containment unit, the antimatter particles are annihilated but the containment unit (based on what I have read) is unaffected.

This is actually not the first time antimatter particles have been created. Scientists have been creating them for almost 20 years. However, the LHC is able to create such strong magnetic fields and such cold temperatures that they are able to slow the movement of the antimatter particles from the center of the containment unit to the inner walls to a slow enough rate to be measured.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  8:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Clear White Light
If that were true than the instrumentation that CERN used to analyze the antimatter would be destroyed in the experiment. When the antimatter particles come into contact with the edges of the containment unit, the antimatter particles are annihilated but the containment unit (based on what I have read) is unaffected.

The mass of the anti-matter is so small that not much energy is given off..

One researcher of the CERN laboratories, which produces antimatter regularly, said:

If we could assemble all of the antimatter we've ever made at CERN and annihilate it with matter, we would have enough energy to light a single electric light bulb for a few minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  9:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

[quote]The mass of the anti-matter is so small that not much energy is given off..

One researcher of the CERN laboratories, which produces antimatter regularly, said:

If we could assemble all of the antimatter we've ever made at CERN and annihilate it with matter, we would have enough energy to light a single electric light bulb for a few minutes.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of that straight away. The amount of matter nullified in the exchange would have to be proportionate to the amount of antimatter created; which is an insignificant amount.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Antimatter explained in an easier way. For guys like me.

http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/liv...-kids02.html

What Happens When Matter and Antimatter Meet?

Matter and antimatter, or we should probably say particles and antiparticles, don't seem to like each other very much. If they get too close, they destroy each other, disappearing in a kind of explosion.

Or may be it's the opposite: they like each other so much that when they finally meet, it's just an explosion of joy!

One way or the other (I guess we will never know), but there is definitely something "hot" going on: both particle and antiparticle disappear, leaving behind the energy they were made of. Physicists call this "annihilation".

We can think back to our "playdough" example: we cut out a star, and its "negative image" appeared in the dough. If we now put the star back in its "negative image " hole, there are no more stars, and all our original dough (=energy) is back!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  3:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's worth reading Gevin Giobrian - everything forever.

This is the story of symmetry and the potential for a radical shift in mathematics for cosmological events.

Gevin proposes that zero becomes the number which contains all numbers. Zero does not imply nothing, but the very start of the Universe which contained everything.

I won't try and explain it because it's one of those books that have to be read and re-read in the same way as understanding Einsteins theory of relativity (you can explain the idea, but when you get to a practical example the poor old mind leaps off a cliff trying to grapple with pure weirdness).

Although I can't understand it as a mathmatician, I can understand that there is something inherently right about his theory, because somewhere in my mind it resonates.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  02:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the Isha Upanishad also mentions this Matter-Antimatter stuff:

THE ONE SELF NEVER MOVES,
YET IS TOO SWIFT FOR THE MIND.
THE SENSES CANNOT REACH IT,
YET IT IS EVER BEYOND THEIR GRASP.
REMAINING STILL, IT OUTSTRIPS ALL ACTIVITY,
YET IN IT RESTS THE BREATH OF ALL THAT MOVES.

IT MOVES, YET MOVES NOT.
IT IS FAR, YET IT IS NEAR.
IT IS WITHIN ALL THIS,
AND YET WITHOUT ALL THIS.

AUM
INFINITY IS THAT.
INFINITY IS THIS.
FROM INFINITY, INFINITY HAS COME INTO EXISTENCE.
FROM INFINITY, WHEN INFINITY IS TAKEN AWAY,
INFINITY REMAINS.

http://balbro.com/iam/

It is far, yet it is near.

Far to the mind, near to the heart.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000