Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 How to describe AYP to outsiders?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rattan

South Africa
41 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  10:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Perhaps someone could help me with this. I want the words to use when I have to describe in a nutshell to them what AYP and the purpose of AYP is, without using AYP specific jargon. Until now I have just told people I meditate. But if one wants to go into some more depth?

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  11:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahahaha, outsiders. I think anybody on a yogic path would understand the terms mantra meditation, pranayama, mudras and bandhas, asanas, and samyama. This is the language I'd use to talk about it with a fellow yoga practitioner. I don't think AYP has yogic outsiders so to speak. It's more an integration of several existing practices into one robust system.

If you're talking about explaining it to somebody who has little or no yoga background, then I've found that either they interested and asking questions, in which case explaining it comes naturally since it is a 2 sided exchange - or I am trying to tell them about something they don't care to hear about, and explaining is arduous and pointless.

If somebody is interested, they will be happy to hear about your experiences and practices, especially stories you can relate from your personal perspective rather than espousing mini-sermons. If somebody is not interested, then I just say I meditate, and we leave it at that.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  11:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's an interesting question.

I'd begin by saying that in my experience, when you explain meditation to people, they usually fall into one of two categories:
-those who are genuinely interested and open-minded
-those on whom you are wasting your breath
Either people have a pull that comes from within them, causing their ears to prick up a little and their interest to be aroused by talk of such things, or they don't. I'm open that I meditate, but I never tell anyone more than that, unless they have a genuine interest in hearing about it.

As for the explanation, in my view, AYP is a series of meditative practises, that initiate gradual changes in the mind/emotions and nervous system. They have a wonderful power to gradually improve the life of the individual who engages in said practises, not by changing his/her external circumstances, but by a gradual inner transformation which often begins with a sense of increased inner calm/peace, but grows into powerful inner joy and ecstasy given consistent twice daily practise.

My deep personal belief is that the transformation and changes from meditation are of a divine nature, but the spirit of AYP is one of scientific enquiry and drawing one's own conclusions via direct experience of one's own inner transformation rather than accepting the faith or belief systems of others.

Is this of any help?

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  2:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Unless someone asks I don't get into it. There is a tendency to want to preach to the world when really there is only you listening.
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  9:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tell them we cut our tongues in order to stick them up in our nasal cavity and drink our own urine ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Rattan

Perhaps someone could help me with this. I want the words to use when I have to describe in a nutshell to them what AYP and the purpose of AYP is, without using AYP specific jargon. Until now I have just told people I meditate. But if one wants to go into some more depth?

Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  12:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wakeupneo

Tell them we cut our tongues in order to stick them up in our nasal cavity and drink our own urine ;)

Come on...can't the web designer include a "like" button? That was funny!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rattan

South Africa
41 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  01:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I am not trying to preach to anybody about AYP.

It just happens often that people that have a real interest in you, but not interested in meditation per se, really wants to know what exactly are you busy doing. What is so important about it that you would travel far to learn more about it?

mr_anderson, thanks - that is what I had in mind. I want to prepare something along those lines that I can use in future, and not sit there with a mouth full of teeth.

And wakeupneo :) exactly the type of thing one cannot even begin to explain. Hilarious.
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  03:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When people with no background in yoga ask about my practices, I tell them that through meditation and complementary practices I manipulate my nervous system in such a way that I experience more calmness, happiness and clarity in my daily life. This is a description that, in my experience, is understandable for people who are not into spirituality. But next time I'll think I'll try Wakeupneo's suggestion :)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  08:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

quote:

Come on...can't the web designer include a "like" button? That was funny!!!

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  8:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Medea's way is the best. If non-spiritual people inquire, make your answer non-spiritual so they don't think you are trying to be better than them.

There are so many advantages to getting stress out of your life through meditation that you can mention just that. It makes you more healthy, age slower, get along with others better, more productive, able to do things you couldn't otherwise do, enjoy life more.

<--- "Like" button

Edited by - Etherfish on Nov 10 2010 8:43:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  6:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I think I'll use this description from now on, lol.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rattan

Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  12:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah I too have faced this questions especially by people who are not interested in meditation but just trying to test you rather so to them I just tell them I meditate tats all!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000