Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Releasing in stillness vs. converting into bhakti
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  11:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
Sometimes when I have something on my mind to which I know there is no immediate solution I try to release it in stillness and just let go of it for good. I understand this is an application of Samyama in daily life. At other times instead of letting go of it immediately, I try to feel the emotion behind it and convert it to Bhakti. My question is, are these really the same thing? I mean converting into bhakti couldn't be that different to releasing in stillness.. right?

Edited by - Emil on Nov 04 2010 11:02:00 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  08:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emil

I mean converting into bhakti couldn't be that different to releasing in stillness.. right?

Right!!!

Releasing/letting go in stillness is surrendering to your ishta, which is bhakti. And taking the emotion and and giving it to your ishta (converting to bhakti) is surrendering the emotion to your ishta, which is bhakti.

Awesome that you get this!!!
It took me a while to get it. I had posted about it here.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  7:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,
Thank you for your comment. I read your post about stillness as your new ishta. That was quite helpful. One thing that supprises me though is that when I release an emotion into stillness it feels totally different to when I convert it to bhakti. When I release in stillness it might come back again and I'm not sure if it's totally gone. But the act of releasing in stillness feels very innocent and pure. But when I try converting into bhakti by telling myself "this problem is happenign because you're not enlightened yet" OR "You're unhappy because you're inner stillness hasn't grown enough to swallow all the unhappiness" all of a sudden I feel my body gets pumped with energy, I sit taller and sometimes I get a some ecstacy as well. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I'm intercepting a thought with another thought or that's how it feels.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  08:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emil

One thing that supprises me though is that when I release an emotion into stillness it feels totally different to when I convert it to bhakti. When I release in stillness it might come back again and I'm not sure if it's totally gone. But the act of releasing in stillness feels very innocent and pure. But when I try converting into bhakti by telling myself "this problem is happenign because you're not enlightened yet" OR "You're unhappy because you're inner stillness hasn't grown enough to swallow all the unhappiness" all of a sudden I feel my body gets pumped with energy, I sit taller and sometimes I get a some ecstacy as well. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I'm intercepting a thought with another thought or that's how it feels.

Releasing into stillness is converting into bhakti. Releasing into stillness is letting go/surrendering to the stillness (like you said innocent and pure). You are giving it to the stillness/ishta (surrendering) and trusting the stillness will take care of it (bhakti). It may come back, becasue the mind is never happy till it "knows" and "understands".

When you intercept with words/thoughts, it becomes self-inquiry. Which is perfect too. The mind gets an answer and will not come back to bother you again. This is a perfect techniques also. Seeing the truth and then letting it go is very powerful.

Work with one or both techniques. Soon, they will both become one. You will have a slight question, and slight intention of an answer and a letting go... all happening in one sweep.

You start with samyama and inquiry and soon they become one practice.

You are doing great.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  02:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti,
That's very encouraging :x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000