Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Meditation after tantric practice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  9:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
In Spinal breathing lessions (and other places in AYP writings), Yogani indicates that there's always a need to practices meditation right after spinal breathing pranayama. Otherwise the energy can lead to/turn into unwanted effects. In one place yogani says these undesireable effects might include anger, bad luck and etc.

Now my question is, due to the common feature of SPB and Tantric practices, (which is increasing the flow of energy in the sushumna) isn't it recommended to practice 10 minutes of meditation right after a tantric session? and if not, what happens to all the energy pumped upwards during tantric sex? Why is this harmless where the energy from pranayama could hurt you if not followed by meditation?

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  02:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,

I'm not aware of Yogani saying that you must always meditate right after SBP. Could you point to the place where he said it? That would be helpful.

He does say that it is important to be practicing meditation as part of your spiritual practices in order to cultivate inner silence. And he also says that if you are practicing SBP and meditation, then the best order to do them in is SBP first and meditation after. But this is not because the energies cultivated by SBP will damage you, or bring you bad luck.

The same goes for tantric (sexual) practice. It is best to always combine tantric practice with the cultivation of inner silence (the witness). Otherwise it can just become energies running around in the body without much (or any) spiritual benefit. Meditation does not need to immediately follow tantric practices, it could be at any time of the day, just as meditation does not need to always immediately follow SBP. But there is an added benefit if it does because of the open state of the nadis after both tantric practice and pranayama.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  04:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,

In my daily practice i begin with tantric masturbation and then the sitting practices in advanced siddhasana (10SB/20DM/7-8 Samyama) then a good rest and all that works perfectly well.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  04:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,
That was my understanding as well. But then I saw the following quotes:

http://www.aypsite.org/96.html:
quote:
Just take it one step at a time, and be easy with it. Make sure you always follow pranayama with meditation.

http://www.aypsite.org/43.html:
quote:
On the other hand, practicing pranayama alone without meditation can leave the practitioner vulnerable in some ways. Imagine you plow a field, turning the rich soil over and over. It is exposed, fertile, and ready for the seed to be planted. What will you plant there? If you meditate deeply with an effective method, you will plant the field full with the seed of pure bliss consciousness, and it will germinate and grow strong, filling the field with joy. But what if you don't meditate, and you don't plant anything in particular in your fertile pranayama field? What will grow there? Something will. But what? Whatever happens to be around. Some desires, some thoughts, some emotions, whatever happens to be blowing over the field. To tell you the truth, a lot of weeds can grow there, because there is no crop of pure bliss consciousness filling up that field. This is why pranayama, practiced as a stand-alone over months and years, can lead to less instead of more. In some people this type of imbalanced practice can lead to increasing rigidness, egotism, anxiety, anger, and just plain bad luck. Meditate every day after you do pranayama and you will experience the opposite of these things in great profusion – flexibility, compassion, peace, joy, and lots of good luck.

And Finally:
http://www.aypsite.org/50.html:
quote:
If you are doing pranayama in the car, don't overdo it. When you get home, sit and mediate for at least ten minutes to sow the seed of pure bliss consciousness in your fertile pranayama field. We don't want any weeds taking root in those beautiful cultivated nerves of yours.

So from the phrasings I got the idea that Yogani's pretty keen on doing a 10 min meditation everytime we do pranayama (or face the consequences ) and I wonder why that wasn't mentioned for a 4 hour session of pre-orgasmic tantric practice. Let me know what's your take on this.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  05:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,

Well, Yogini would be the best one to comment I think. But as he's not chimed in yet, I'd say that Yogani is encouraging people to follow pranayama with meditation, as it is the best combination, but generally, you could practice pranayama in the morning and meditation in the everning, and still become enlightened.

As for Tantric practice, the same goes. If tantric sexual practices are used as a stand alone, it can lead to the inflation of the ego, and to energetic difficulties without much spiritual progress being made. We have seen that coming up quite often here in the forum. By combining tantric practice with meditation, the energetic openings (ecstasy) can be deepened in silence which takes the whole thing to a spiritual level, and the transcendence of the egoic consciousness. But there is no golden rule that says that tantric practice must be followed immediately by meditation or you will suffer the consequences!

I am sure Yogani will chime in if we are missing something here.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  11:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

All references to following spinal breathing pranayama with deep meditation are in relation to our twice-daily sitting practices. It does not necessarily apply to pranayama we might choose to do in tantric sexual practice, or at other times. In AYP, spinal breathing is not strongly recommended for use during tantric sex. The pros and cons if it are discussed here: http://www.aypsite.org/T33.html
It is a matter of personal preference...

While the relationship between pranayama and meditation described in the lesson quotes in previous posts above is real, keeping a balance between the cultivation of ecstatic energy and inner silence is not mandatory for minute-to-minute practice. This means that having deep meditation in our twice-daily sittings will aid in balancing the effects of pranayama at any other time. Abiding inner silence is what balances and enhances the effects of pranayama. However, this is not a license to be adding pranayama sessions willy-nilly throughout the day. It will be a formula for overload, and doing extra meditations will only amplify the overload.

For those who are looking for enhancements in practice outside normal twice-daily sittings, moderate tantric sex, and the occasional group meditation, it is suggested to look into structured retreats. That is where big leaps in spiritual progress can be accomplished while maintaining relative comfort and safety. See a lesson on "Retreats" here: http://www.aypsite.org/387.html
Anyone can organize a retreat for their local area/region, and if you contact me, we can see about arranging for an experienced leader to come and run it.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  03:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
Thanks a lot for your response. You answered my question.

To be honest I wasn't thinking about combining Pranayama with tantric practices. (Now I am! ). My question was more to address the pranayama sessions that I add willy-nilly throughout the day :D (and also all the other things that I might do through out the day eg: sitting in siddhasana doing kechari-1 and sambhavi at work!! ) to get that little bit of ecstatic sensation going. So if I just somehow mix SBP with my sex life, I'd be doing all the things you warned me about

The good news is reading Lession T33 and also T34 about kechari (which I believe is a good idea to duplicate or reference it in the main lessons - if not done already) reminded me of the value/power of kechari-2 and spinal bastrika and I decided to redirect my energy/time to do spinal bastrika and try to achieve Kechari-2.
(Spinal bastrika is one practice that I haven't been doing lately)

That's of course with the assumption that spinal bastrika (if done before meditation and after SBP) can provide all the benefits of "SBP combined with sex" (as described in lesson T33) which I'm sure you'd say "It does". But then I would ask if Spinal Bastrika is that awesome and complete, why is there a need for practicing Yoni Mudra?!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000