Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Yogani - AYP for kids??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

njethwa

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  10:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Pranam Yogani and all practitioners

What do you recommend for kids around 5 yrs of age?

recently I taught my 5yr old padmasana and some 'AUM' chanting during padmasana.

I just don't want him to go through the same routine that I went through, practice this little, that little and getting no where. If there is something very basic that can be easily taught then those can be set as part of his homework routine :)

Some of the things that I have started with him and think are safe
1. padmasana and other stretching asanas (sit and touch the toes)
2. close eyes and chant AUM loudly
3. Kapalbhati (he likes to move the tummy)

Other things that I think that can be introduced but not sure if it is safe at this age
3. Tratak - gazing at a dot or wick lamp for some time

Thank you all for your time and advise.

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  10:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi njethwa:

See this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/256.html

Wonderful to be spontaneously sharing your divine openings with your children.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  5:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, just curious here as I don't have children yet ...

But my intuition has been that physiologically, humans probably aren't capable of spiritual maturation until well past puberty... maybe around 20-25 years old in most cases.

Essentially, one must be physically mature before one can be spiritually mature.
Obviously, we can't know for sure, and everybody's different

What is your take on that?

Edited by - tonightsthenight on Oct 17 2010 9:50:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  11:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys,

My son is only 11yrs.

Yet at three he was seeing in another dimension....already...

Without much effort he can close his eyes and enter your crown and tell u thing bout yourself.....

this is a result of keeping me company in Satsang...

At no point in time he had to practice anything special....but it seems as though children anturally born with these aptitudes and forget to keep it as they get older.....
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  11:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's interesting.

I can identify with that to some extent. I think as a young child (7-8ish?) i was naturally aware of the Bliss.... but you do get away from it.

That is pre-ego, essentially, and at some point your ego needs to swoop in or you'd be Spirit-soup. And then: disaster, at least for me! Hehehe
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  8:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats interesting Neesha.

Hi njethwa I know that paramahansa yogananda recommends introducing meditation in the form of the concentration technique at age 10 (child being willing), there are details of the technique in other threads in these forums http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....rms=hang,sau. I remember being taught this at around 10 and did it with my family once a week, we would be read a spiritual story, meditate and then eat popcorn. I really liked it and I vividly remember the good vibes. This lasted for about a year or two before the families spiritual practices declined.

Although at the time performing the actual technique was of secondary concern later in my teenage years I frequently resumed practicing the technique of my own accord sometimes with fervor and with little encouragement. When I would be stressed or experience grief I would resume meditations and recall the lessons in the stories from when I was 10 and 11. Based on this experience I really feel equipping your child with some spiritual practices would be giving them a priceless gift.

The practice of kriya which bears some resemblance to spinal breathing is not introduced until age 16 and only if the child shows a strong desire.

Enjoy yourself and I wish you luck in sharing your spirituality with your child.

Edited by - jamuna on Oct 20 2010 02:45:44 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000