Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Classic texts / books / Best translations?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  04:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am wondering if any well read individuals, and hopefully Yogani will chime in here, can recommend the better/best translations of various classic texts (from across all traditions) and also list further classic texts (from across all traditions) that I have not covered here.

What I am currently interested in:

The Koran

Any and all Works By Rumi

The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

The Upanishads

The Rig Vedas

The Bhagavad Gita

The Bible

The Tao Te Ching

The I Ching

The Dhammapada

The Torah

Not sure whether this should go in alternate approaches or here?

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  4:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  7:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For Patanjali,

Yoga Philosophy of Patanjali: Containing His Yoga Aphorisms ... - Swami Hariharananda Aranya

and

http://www.arlingtoncenter.org/Sans...-English.pdf

Are what I have used. Both of which were recommendations I found by searching the forums. They're the only two versions I've read.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Bhagavad Gita translation by Eknath Easwaran is excellent.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by amoux

The Bhagavad Gita translation by Eknath Easwaran is excellent.

His translations of The Upanishads and The Dhammapada are great too. But keep in mind his are the only versions I've read...
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to recommend the yoga sutras of patanjali by swami satyananda saraswati, and the upanishads by swami nikhilananda.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  4:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, I see you have the Dhammapada listed. Wisdom publications has a great 3 volume english language set of the Middle Length, Long, and connected discourses of the Buddha. These books are more formerly known as the Majjhima, Digha, and Samyutta Nikayas's from the Pali Canon. These books would be of great interest to most anyone interested in buddhism.

http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Length...xgy_b_text_b

Here is a link to one of the volumes on amazon. you can find the rest on the same page.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  6:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dhammapada: I like Maitreya's translation...it has a black cover with a Buddha statue.

Another cool text is Hatha Yoga Pradipika. Don't know a good translation of it, though.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  10:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

Dhammapada: I like Maitreya's translation...it has a black cover with a Buddha statue.

Another cool text is Hatha Yoga Pradipika. Don't know a good translation of it, though.

The Bihar School of Yoga has a great translation of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika. Translated by Swami Muktibodhananda.

Edited by - Clear White Light on Oct 15 2010 10:28:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  07:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Bhagavad Gita

The Bible

Paramahansa yogananda's interpretation of both these books is amazing, he says much of the writing for the bible was done in actual communion with Christ, it is an astounding book
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  07:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there actually a "bible" by Yogananda? I think it may have a different name?
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  03:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok really late. No not called the bible rather "the second coming of Christ"

Here is a Link to it on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Second-Coming...p/0876125550

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000