Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Time span between meditations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  11:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a necessary amount of time span that you should have between meditations?

For instance, sometimes I don't get to have my morning meditation until 10:30-11 and then end up doing my afternoon one around 2:30-3. Is this too close together?

I have been noticing that I am feeling a lot of confusion and frustration with everything right now and am wondering if this could be because of meditations being too close together. Or am I just drawing this connection because it is an easy line to make?

Or is it normal as a beginner to feel really frustrated with your practice, other people and life in general? If so, will this pass? Will I eventually stop wanting to pull my brain out from between my ears and make it shut up all ready?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Luci,
Yes that is very close to each other.
In this lesson Yogani says:
http://www.aypsite.org/148.html
quote:
When we do practices, we coax our nervous system into a different style of functioning -- sustaining deep silence (pure bliss consciousness). And in later stages when kundalini is active, ecstatic bliss. To stabilize all this we go out and are active in the world every day. There is fading of the higher functioning during activity as we work it into daily living. The fading happens over 5-10 hours. Then we can do practices again and re-establish the higher style of functioning again, to be faded in activity again. This cycle can be done twice a day by doing practices morning and early evening. It provides for the most purification and growth possible during waking hours for people with active lives.

And if you are feeling overloaded (confusion and frustration during the day), then I would go with at least a 8 to 10 hr gap. I would suggest, do one session at 10.30-11 and then if time permits add another session later in the evening. Or, if it is easier to do your session at 2.30-3.00, just do that one for now.

Also, do you rest enough after meditation? The confusion and frustration can come for not resting enough. Rest for 10-15 min if you can... just fall asleep if needed.

Also, do grounding stuff during the day. Make sure you move and exercise. You said in another topic, you have a little baby, so please keep in mind, if you have just had a baby, your hormones are still at higher levels, and that along with overdoing practices will definitely make you feel overloaded. So ease back on your practices a bit.

On the bright side, if you are feeling confusion and frustration etc., then things are happening on the inside... just self pace/cut back on practices a bit till you feel smooth during the day again.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  12:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice Shanti!

Right now I do rest after meditation for 5-7 mins. I will try (when time allows) to extend that.
Just so that I am clear though you are saying that it is better to have one meditation a day then to have two that are too close together right?

I have just had a baby. She is now almost 4 months old and that brings up another question along this as well. Would me not getting a proper rest, say 8 hours of sleep in a row, have anything to do with the overload? Right now she doesn't sleep through the night and at most I get maybe 3-3.5 hours of sleep at one time. This is sometimes just once and then its 1.5-2 hours at a time the rest of the night.
Is not having a proper nights sleep contributing to the overload feelings?

quote:
On the bright side, if you are feeling confusion and frustration etc., then things are happening on the inside... just self pace/cut back on practices a bit till you feel smooth during the day again.

I hope your right because right now I feel like I'm going a little crazy. In fact the men in white suits might be knocking at my door as I speak

Thanks again!
Luci
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  1:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LucienneK

Just so that I am clear though you are saying that it is better to have one meditation a day then to have two that are too close together right?

That is correct. I did only one session a day for a bit more than 6 months, not becasue I had a baby, but becasue it was impossible for me to find time to sit in the evenings, in the beginning. So yes, one practice a day is better than 2 session 3-4 hrs apart. However, in the evening if you can get a few min, do a short meditation session if possible. You don't have to do a full session, do 2-3 min spinal breathing (if you are doing this) and a 10 min meditation followed by 5-10 min rest. If you are doing it close to bed time (not recommended, but works fine with some), don't fall asleep immediately after meditation... get up and do something for a few min and then go to bed... else you will feel very groggy when you wake up.

quote:

I have just had a baby. She is now almost 4 months old and that brings up another question along this as well. Would me not getting a proper rest, say 8 hours of sleep in a row, have anything to do with the overload? Right now she doesn't sleep through the night and at most I get maybe 3-3.5 hours of sleep at one time. This is sometimes just once and then its 1.5-2 hours at a time the rest of the night.
Is not having a proper nights sleep contributing to the overload feelings?

Absolutely. Even if you were not meditating you would feel frustrated and confused on that little sleep. So I would suggest even more strongly to do only one session, and use the time you have for the second session to take a nap... you will feel so much better... promise you.

quote:

I hope your right because right now I feel like I'm going a little crazy. In fact the men in white suits might be knocking at my door as I speak

It will get better. Like I tell my friends... a baby stays a baby for only so long, then you get into the next phase, and you forget how awful the sleepless nights felt. Keep reminding yourself of this. It is just a phase. Your baby will keep you awake for a few more months, then it will be over... so for now grab sleep any time you can, even if that is at the expense of getting some chores done.

All the best Luci.
Go to Top of Page

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  2:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
so for now grab sleep any time you can, even if that is at the expense of getting some chores done.

Ha! Ha! Tell this to my partner!

Thanks again for all your help. Your a real blessing and have helped me feel a little less insane.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  5:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
so for now grab sleep any time you can, even if that is at the expense of getting some chores done.

Ha! Ha! Tell this to my partner!

Thanks again for all your help. Your a real blessing and have helped me feel a little less insane.

Well ask your partner to not sleep for 4 months and get the chores done in that case... while you sleep.

I am glad I could help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000