Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Control over the senses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  04:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I tend to lose myself in things. My senses draw my perception outwards in a very strong way, and i have to be very disciplined to resist it. Bliss and peace wait for me within, still my senses seem sometimes stronger.

My meditation is of course much more deeper when im not that much drawn outwards.

So my question is, is this something one can push in the right direction, or is it just a matter of time, a matter of growing?

Thanks
Pan

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  06:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I live in a very noisy house and I spent many a time cursing, mumbling and moving about on my pillow. I invested in some ear plugs which did the trick.

Over time you will get to a point while meditating where the silence and bliss draws you in and holds you. You will still hear noises, but they won't bother you. You don't need to do anything special to stay there. Just meditate as usual. Then the ear plugs can be thrown away.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  08:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Be easy about it. When you realize you are pulled out, treat it like a distraction and go back to the mantra. It is a easy process. No struggling and resisting. The more you struggle and resist, the longer the distraction will persist. Over time it will become a habit to stay within. The distraction of the senses moving outward is a form of purification. Gently bring yourself back to the mantra every time you realize you have moved outward is the process to get over this.
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  09:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Im sorry, i obviously havent expressed myself very clearly. I dont struggle with distraction inside my meditation sessions. Its more that i tend
to lose myself in doing things throughout the day. Its very hard for me to just be, and stop doing anything - which would be very beneficial for
my meditation sessions and my overall well-being. Instead my mind is searching for something to do, something to waste time with. For example, the last things i
got obsessed with was building a yoga room (which was earlier my office room, which i rearranged within one week), creating websites, translating
for ayp, getting obsessed with a computergame, having a overactive sexual life, and so on. It seems like something inside me wants to distract from something, and looks for ways
to realize that.

Hope i expressed myself now more clearly. My goal would be to just be able to be here, not doing anything, and not getting distracted
by my mind, which wants to acomplish something. Does this even makes sense somehow? Or is it just the way it is, and i have to be patient?

Thanks
Pan

Edited by - Panthau on Sep 14 2010 09:05:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  09:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sounds normal Pan.

Keep practicing and everything else will flow perfectly. Give it some time, its years of busyness conditioning that we are trying to get over... it takes a bit of time before we can be sitting and doing nothing and be perfectly happy. Till then go with what is flowing naturally. Trying to be something you are not will only make you frustrated.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  10:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a bad thing. Look at it this way; at least you are now noticing the way your mind behaves.
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  1:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys :)

Yep, at least i noticed it... to be true, i noticed it a while back, but still my mind gets me hooked up on something
somehow. I just have to remind myself all the time...
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  10:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to be able to chime in-hoping that I stay in the topic. I kind of understand what you are describing. Translating, creating websites, and rearranging spaces does not seem like a waste of time...though.

now I have found myself feeling very tired, but wanted to add in a distraction I had this morning. Out the bedroom opened windows, I heard a young sounding owl....making what sounded like a honk sound...and quickly there was an answer from what I thought to be the adult parent....I really wonder what that was all about. Maybe the owlet was training for hunting....or maybe it was afraid to fly and the parent owl screetched something in response....they were owl talking and I am glad to not have missed it

Owls live around here- how cool is that?

If you wear ear plugs, how would you here something if you needed too?

I am distracted all day like yourself and am exhausted from it, so I hope you continue to get great advice.

goodnight
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  06:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL you have a point :)

I guess if you have ever contact, even if only for a second, with your true self, all the other stuff on earth
seems pointless and a waste of time. Still the mind, the ego, creates things to hang on to, and its hard to resist,
even if i know that i can get in contact with myself again, if i choose to not distract myself with things in the outer world.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  2:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thats awesome Sage, and funny too!

From my open window all I hear is kids telling each other to f off and me meditating with one ear pricked up - waiting in anticipation for the other wing mirror to be kicked off my already disheveled car!

If there were owls they wouldn't land near here because if they did they have their heads kicked off! Society has gone to the dogs.... think I should do some Samyama!
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  01:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Watch your perception... if you buy a new car, you see this sort of car everywhere on the street. Dont filter out the good things, besides the unhappy kids. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000