Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Why Mantra Meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DJLantz4

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Im just curious as to why we choose the Mantra meditation - i feel very drawn to a breath meditation right now is there a reason we wouldn't do that? I guess we do in spinal breathing - but what about breathing for pure bliss consciousness. Is the buddhist breath technique a less effective path in some way? I guess i just question why we use the techniques we do because every teacher seems to recommend different techniques. For myself i like the idea of breath because that it something i could continue to do all day.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few topics that may help:
Meditation: mantra vs. breath
breath vs. mantra
Here is Yogani's reply:
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

The main difference between breath meditation and deep meditation with mantra is that the mantra can continue as a vehicle to go much deeper after the breath suspends. With breath meditation, an additional vehicle (object of meditation) must be brought in to take meditation beyond the level of metabolic slow-down that is accompanied by the suspension of the breath.

This has been discussed several times before in the "other systems of spiritual practice" forum (can't remember which topic at the moment), and there it was mentioned by those with Buddhist background that in some Buddhist systems, additional objects of meditation are brought in to go beyond suspension of breath.

See this other post from today, which offers some explanation of the refinement of mantra: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=5128#44790

So the implication is that breath meditation is good as far as it goes, to suspension of the breath, and then another object is necessary to go further. What that object is can vary, depending on the system.

In deep meditation with mantra, it is all one process using one object (mantra) which refines going all the way in. This may explain the considerable differences in the experience that can occur between breath and mantra meditation, with more purification often going on with mantra, shorter sessions in general, "self-pacing" practice as necessary to avoid overdoing, etc.

In fact, in cases where a practitioner may be very sensitive to deep meditation with mantra, it has been found that breath meditation may be more appropriate for a time. See an interesting discussion on this here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5115

Everyone is a little different in their inclinations and needs. The goal in AYP is to bring enough tools to the table so everyone will have sufficient resources to move ahead as quickly and as comfortably as desired.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: Some styles of meditation involve the use of both breath and mantra at the same time. In AYP, that would be considered a distraction and a watering down of the deep meditation process. In other systems, it may be considered to be core practice. Different strokes for different folks.

Hope these help.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  12:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DjLantz,

I can't speak for anyone else, but I use mantra meditation because I have confirmed through my own personal experience that mantra meditation is more effective for me. I began by using breath meditation also, but gradually over a period of years the superiority of using a mantra as the object of attention became extremely evident. Since then I have switched to mantra meditation and never looked back. Only you can decide what will work best for you. Try it and see what you like.
Go to Top of Page

DJLantz4

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  1:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti! That makes it much clearer. I think i'll stick close to AYP Protocol because there is a certain depth to the lessons here. I'll watch my breath throughout the day though! Love this place and Yogani's book!

Go to Top of Page

AlanCrawfordUK

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  4:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too initially find the Mantra difficult, even a little tedious dare I say and part of me longs to return to breath meditation or other Buddhist visualisation /contemplation meditations, however, it is very early days for me and I know that with persistence the "clunky" phase will pass and mantra meditation will become more natural for me...I hope!
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  5:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find that i use mindfulness meditation during daily activity i.e. breath awareness being the witness of my activities rather than doing them helpful.

It seems to have broadened my purification process to throughout the day (I am only able to practice AYP once a day).
see thread
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=8854

Joe
Go to Top of Page

AlanCrawfordUK

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  02:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
JosephUK, I agree that mindfulness is a wonderful practice to carry out throughout the day, being mindful of routine activities (showering, brushing your teeth, walking, eating)and being consciously "present" and "in the now" as much as possible (including an awareness of our thinking / emotions) is an excellent spiritual practice in its own right and is a useful bridge between our meditation / sitting practices and every day life.
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  7:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link which I've found quite interesting about the effect of mantra repetition :
http://blog.yogamsharanam.com/power-of-mantra/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000