AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 nadi shodhana + anapana & balancing the face/body
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greenyogi

14 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  6:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit greenyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi when I do nadi shodhana my left nostril always feel more blocked than my right one unless I am fasting. And I talked to one of my teacher she says perhaps my spine is not completely straight.

My spine across and above my navel is a little out and to the right.
So she recommend some exercises to me.

And going to the Goenka's style Vipassana I learn the Anapana.
And I figure if I can combine nadi Shodhana and Anapana by observing and visualizing one nostrils at a time.

So I visualize and observe that only my left nostril is breathing in
and then my right nostril is breathing out, and then my right nostril is breathing in, and then my left nostril is breathing out.

This seems to work such that my left and right nostril breath becomes more balance.

Any thought on this method??

Similarily, I am scanning my right & left arms and hands; right & left legs and feet with the similar idea to get my body becomes more balanced.

I notice that my left and right face are quite different.

If I use half of my face to make a mirror image of that and combine them into a whole face.
My left face is very similar to the face of a Ape-Man; hanuman?
My right face is very similar to the face of an Alien;Atlantean or Lemurian?

And one of my main teacher does tell me one of the main thing I need to work on is to be more balance

Any thought on this one of being more balance??

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  10:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Everyone has a dominant nostril. This changes approximately every 2 hrs daily , where one is more open than another.If I remember correctly Shanti said this is called Swara yoga and if you do a search you will find info on it.Nadi Shodana is a means of balancing the Ida and Pingala so will end in greater balance of energy flows if done regularly.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  12:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Green,
yes, almost everybody has a predominant side.
BtW., the right-left cycle Riptiz & you mention has recently been confirmed by Western medical research, even the fact that breathing is related to it.

In tantric hathayoga, nadi shodana has been practised both ways just as you do: physically using the right hand (in Vishnu mudra) to block 1 nostril at a time - or mentally, visualizing the flow of air through 1 nostril at a time.
Also, retention can be added before each exhalation (releasing to "next" side).

Tantrist counting schemes usually allow for a longer exhalation, which is calming and even beneficial for whoever has a predominant right side (right is traditionally associated to male qualities and Ha/sun energy), because the letting-go of an exhalation brings about a cool and traditionally female kind of energy (Tha/moon).

As to "perhaps my spine is not completely straight" I quess it's true because almost nobody's spine is completely straight (neither is mine ).

My 5 cents /Hatha
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000