Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I don't think that there is gonna be an easy answer for this one.

I am 40 and I feel terrible.
I am always unhappy and have no fun.
I have not always felt like this, it seems as though the last several years have been brutal.
When I get up in the morning from sleeping...I don't know I guess I feel unhappy and wish I could go back to sleep.

I take meds for depression, but am trying to ween myself off.

There is no joy here.

As I drove to get coffee this morning I had a thought/lightbulb moment that when I think of the big picture I am totally myserable, and that I guess if I was to focus on the moment of driving down the hill and the morning fog with the sunlight shining thru....like that moment...things are better.
but the heaviness of my life is only appearing to get worse.

I have ideas of fun. like kayak down a river...walking thru nature, but it is just an idea..it is not me in the moment of doing the activity.

I am sick. and I don't know the way around this huge WALL.

Part of this comes from living back at the house where I grew up. it is not a place that I like, though I am thankful to have shelter.
there are no fond memories here.and maintenance that doesn't end.
I could spend days, weeks, months, glazing windows, bleaching the siding from mildew, scraping, painting, mowing, replacing hinges, blah, blah, blah

all I would like to do is sleep for days with no one around.

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  11:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey what's up?

Now that we have established the problem........

Hmmmmmm

So how are you today?

It pretty sunny across here....what's the weather like across there?

It's been 7 years since I stopped drinking coffee.

And about a few months since I stopped smoking....

So let's start focusing on some solutions.....
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  03:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage890

That's because now you have become really tired of all the thoughts in your head.

This is the initial stage of depression that can either lead to your disaster or your salvation.

The first thing to remember is how to drop thoughts and become thoughtless - thoughtless but alert. - Osho

Meditation is the cure with no bad side effects.

Everyone knows they are special, that there is something more than this birth, life, and death....
http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

You have lived a long life but still you are special.

Gather courage! Be strong!

Meditate.

Go to Top of Page

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  03:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage
Try and Sungaze it worked for me. Sun wards off dark thoughts :-) You'll start experiencing the differences as quick as in a couple of weeks time
All the very best
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  05:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage

Here's a couple of things to think about:

Try Vitamin D. I take 5,000 i/u daily, and it has made a world of difference.

Also - if your doctor hasn't done so, ask for your thyroid to be checked. Depression can be a symptom of an underactive thyroid, which is easily treated.

Try to get out in sunlight for at least half an hour a day.

If you're not exercising - try it. Try some asanas every day - just 15 minutes or so. Make it like brushing your teeth Or as Nike put it - just do it. Or any other form of exercise that appeals. The key is to keep doing it, so make it simple, easy and something you can, if necessary, just grit your teeth and do.

Look at your diet - when you feel apathetic about food, it's easy to eat junk. Try to up your intake of minimum preparation healthy food - fruit, yoghourt, wholemeal bread, fresh salads. And with autumn coming on, homemade soups.

Hope some of this helps.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  08:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome reply by Amoux.

I agree with everything she said.

Exercise and being active (along with medication if the doctor prescribes it) is very important when in depression. Depression takes us inward, we move into a shell, and from here we do a lot of thinking that is usually not pleasant or positive. Hence diet, exercise, doing things that involve being more active and outwardly-oriented, such as being with friends, or otherwise connecting with people, maybe taking up a new sport or recreational hobby; doing things that lift us up and get us active.

A very important part of getting out of depression is the desire to be done with it. That is what I experienced. There was one day I woke up and said to myself, "I am done, I have to get out of this, I am missing too much of my life being depressed all the time". The excessive thinking and being depressed all the time is like an addiction, and very hard to get out of, but like any other addiction, it's when you decide you are done with it, you will find ways to get out of it.

You writing here about your depression is that first step, the first step toward wanting to get out of this place.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  09:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words, responses and suggestions.

This is what I feel like today, and I guess it is nothing more than feelings and thoughts.

I havn't made much of myself. This seems factual, not low self esteem even though, I am sure I waffle in low self esteem. I AM not smart by any stretch of the imagination. I think that I have trapped myself by my thoughts thinking that I milling around with very intellectual people and that I am just here.

And gee, what I could have done with being intellegent.

so, instead of some altzheimers waltz that I am casting myself in..

anyway on a better note, I almost ran over a possum today. She was carrying her babies on her.maybe three or four. Luckly, I put the breaks on fast enough and they disappeared. Not ever have I seen a family of possums...it was really cute.

maybe in the end no amount of stupidity or intellectualism will amount to anything...however, I must say that life must be somewhat easier when you have a stronger brain power.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  1:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I must say that life must be somewhat easier when you have a stronger brain power.

"must be" is imagination of what it may be like for another. Your idea of intelligence may not be another person's idea of intelligence. How about dropping that story. You are who you are and are blessed with what you have because that is exactly what you need in this lifetime. Intelligent people have the problem of getting caught up in concepts and have a hard time letting go. So don't ever feel the grass is greener on the other side.

Have you read 'Loving What Is" by Byron Katie. If not, read it.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  12:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I guess you really need to sleep for days with no one around.

Here is how you do it:

Make sure you have not eaten or drunk anything for atleast 2 hours before you do this.

Find a silent place / room.

Sit down on the floor over a mat or cushion in a comfortable position. (Or on a chair if you can't on the floor)

Relax.

Let your eyes remain open or close them if you like.

Then just watch yourself breathing. Do not control it... just watch your body breathe itself naturally.

Keep watching. If any thoughts come in your mind, ignore them and come back to watching your breath.

Keep watching as long as you remain relaxed and comfortable.

Let us know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  02:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Really a possum.....carrying her babies......gosh I'm glad you stopped on time.............

The way you described them sounded really cute to me too. You see, next time take a walk and be closer to nature.....start to listen, to feel.....

I agree with what shanti said....every individual interpretations,knowledge base is different.........

I already see you begin to lighten up.So what's the plan for 2morow.....

Don't forget to tell us o.k
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  10:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For tiredness i reccomend an NLP book (Neurolinguistic programming) it integrates well known spiritual methods like grounding and requesting more divine energy through your crown chakra.

It also uses other subconscious exercises to relieve you nervous system of trapped energy that makes you feel unhappy, heavy and lethargic.

Additionally I am taking medication for psychosis and have been practicing Deep meditation and spinal breathing for months and it is a great long term way of lifting your mood.

Another great way of feeling happy and energised is by going out for a walk or doing some exercise in the fresh air.

The book is called: Recover your energy by olive hickmott

You can be happy and you can be free :)

Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000