Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Do you believe in reincarnation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  08:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi,

I just wondered, reading lesson 84, about reincarnation. Obvious Yoganiji believes in it, and in our perception it makes sense. People are apparently in different stages of human evolution on this planet.

On the other hand, there is the theory, that time is an illusion, and all our incarnations are at the same time.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks,
Pan

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  12:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tough question. Some days I do, but most I don't. :-) Time is an illusion and everything happens in consciousness. I think of past live memories as more of a broader reflection of the collective unconscious. We "connect" with things that help us with our process.

Namaste, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  10:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There seems to be a certain strain, or collection of many lifetimes associated with this particular body-mind experience. Something like a dream of tribal migrations over many eons with a familiar grouping of associations and somewhat similar experiences, as in culture, habits and landscapes and such. I have a peculiar feeling that these particular dream lives have come full circle or something. Most friends and family now are remembered within the collective experience, although vaguely, as in there are not often crisp remembrances, but sometimes there are. Mostly it is the deeper connection that persists beyond the dreamscapes of many centuries, whcih is the source that remains true beyond dreaming. I do think all appearances in the dream of lifetimes, "mine" and "others" occur together as one, and appear to exist in a continuum of lifetimes, and an endless sea of imagination throughout the appearance of all being.

I guess it seems that the appearance of reality is illusion, and the Self to which the dream occurs is always and ever all that is.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  12:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If we are all one, then why would it be necessary for every soul to live a lengthy series of lifetimes?
If we are all one, then experiences can be shared.
So when all possible experiences have been lived by someone, or anyone, then couldn't your karma be worked out by "borrowing" (re-living) an experience from someone else? And then with your free choice if you deviate from the original experience, you could morph to another soul's experience to match the branch you choose.
After all, how do we know we have always been the same soul? Because of continuity of memories back to our birth.
But we have no way of verifying that today's memories are the same set we had yesterday! Only that the memories have continuity. And they can have continuity without an individual soul I think because a point of consciousness could fit in any memory set, at any time.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  03:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Panthau

I know kung fu.

But I have no idea when and where I learnt it.

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  09:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I try to keep it simple and not believe in anything. Maybe all these theories stop us awakening. Analysis paralysis.

IMO Karma, reincarnation and all that are theories that we make up to make sense of life and summise why we are experiencing hardship/ joy. Why people are rich and poor etc. Basically, I will believe these things when I see them.

Does it really matter?

I think the paramount thing on my list is to find out: WHO AM I?!

Like Osho said: 'Life is a mystery to be lived, not to be understood'

Edited by - woosa on Aug 29 2010 09:48:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I believe in reincarnation.......Alot of the major spiritual things I can do is a continuation of the previous lifetimes....

because I surely didn't learn them in this one!

Well that's what all the gurus say.....
Go to Top of Page

matangi

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  9:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit matangi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
An excellent question. There was a time I deeply resonated with the idea of reincarnation. It was a story that helped me make sense of life....I am not so sure anymore. There does seem "something" to the familiar feeling evoked when gazing into eyes of certain others and feeling as if I could see lifetimes in that moment.....

I guess my current sense about all of this is the story of reincarnation has fit well with a consciousness of a certain time and as consciousness shifts so does our understanding of whatever is called reincarnation.

Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  10:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure about reincarnation at least in the Buddhist/Hindu sense of it, but from a energetic/scientific point of view even the atheists would have agree that the Universe continuously recycles everything. Nature wastes nothing. The second law of thermodynamics basically says energy cannot be created or destroyed, meaning that all of the energy that exists now has always existed and always will exist.

E=MC2 basically says that energy and matter are interchangeable, or the same thing.

So if energy is eternal and we are all made of energy than I guess in that sense, yes reincarnation exists, eventually some of the energy we are made has the potential to become part of other life forms
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  5:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you talk of illusion, everything is illusion including your question, this answer, this forum, etc. etc.

Illusion comes from the advaitic stand point of oneness. In oneness or advaita, there is no meaning to this question at all, or for anything else. So, what is re-incarnation? If there is only one, where is the question of re-incarnation and time?

On the other hand, when we come to duality (dvaita), that there is one supreme paramatman (the eternal truth), and then there are the rest of the things (jiva atmas or individual selfs). Now, there is plurality and we believe in this and that. This and that includes, yesterday, today and tomorrow. So, time exists in duality. And therefore re-incarnation exists in duality (for those who believe it exists).

When the jiva atma (or the individual self) realizes or merges into the parama atma (universal timeless truth), it is liberation.

Until we attain liberation, there is duality and re-incarnation.

The arguments between advaita (oneness) and dvaita (duality or multiplicity) has been going on for millenniums in India. It will continue to go on. I see it this way. Each is right from its own stand point and from where the seeker is.

Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  02:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  07:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It makes sense from a scientific standpoint in the sense that stevenbhow already pointed out. Beyond that, I try not to think about it.
Go to Top of Page

Amdor

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  11:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Amdor's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I totally agree with Woosa, why believe? everything is as it is.

Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This point of view is only a sort of repress, i guess. Or do you really always accept things as they are?

I never met someone like that.
Go to Top of Page

Amdor

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  3:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Amdor's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sri Ramana Maharshi taught that all such theories are based on the false assumption that the individual self or soul is real; once this illusion is seen through, the whole superstructure of after-life theories collapses. From the standpoint of the Self, there is no birth or death, no heaven or hell, and no reincarnation.
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  6:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Amdor

Sri Ramana Maharshi taught that all such theories are based on the false assumption that the individual self or soul is real; once this illusion is seen through, the whole superstructure of after-life theories collapses. From the standpoint of the Self, there is no birth or death, no heaven or hell, and no reincarnation.

some research: http://www.nderf.org/

it's likely that sri-anyone is going to face something similar, regardless of the (non)theories they choose to teach
Go to Top of Page

devrim

Thailand
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  11:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit devrim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
when the buddha was asked this question he replied, " Its not important"
what is important is Now.
Remembrance of the pass and projections of the future is only ego.
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  04:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats exactly what sects use to tell their victims... its not important, dont ask. I prefer to understand it, and then let it go. Otherwise
i would´ve never found this place.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  08:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thats exactly what sects use to tell their victims... its not important, dont ask. I prefer to understand it, and then let it go. Otherwise
i would´ve never found this place.

But do we really understand? Or do we just construct some semblance of understanding in our minds and convince ourselves that it is sufficient? (at least, for now..) :)

Edited by - Clear White Light on Sep 24 2010 08:14:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  10:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Right, theres no real understanding with the mind. Its more like a feeling that comes with the right explanation, that enables me to let go
of my desire to understand. But thats probably only me. :)
Go to Top of Page

siddhayoga

India
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  03:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Actions have reverberations- they start chain reactions- consequences...that is called karma- re-birth is another kind of karmic cycle! Karma is born & reborn. Atman remains as atman. Mind is karmic. Minds are born- reproduced- reborn. What is reborn is not the Atman. We have to be clear what are we? At the core there is atman. That is same for all & everything. What we usually experience as we is not atman. the non-atman aspect of us is born & reborn. Our existance / experience of duality are part of non-atman aspect of us!

quote:

Hi,

I just wondered, reading lesson 84, about reincarnation. Obvious Yoganiji believes in it, and in our perception it makes sense. People are apparently in different stages of human evolution on this planet.

On the other hand, there is the theory, that time is an illusion, and all our incarnations are at the same time.

Thanks,
Pan

Go to Top of Page

showup

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  9:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit showup's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Time and space collapses only when one attains enlightenment. As long as maya/ignorance exists time and space appear to exist. All incarnations can never take place at the same time because
1) If there is incarnation, obviously there is karma and maya* and hence time too.
2) As long as karma exist, one consciousness can’t be entangled in more than one body at the same time.

----------------
* Enlightened souls who don’t have karma/maya too take birth in the world rarely. For them there is no, time and space.

Edited by - showup on Jul 09 2012 9:58:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000