Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 How to surrender to Higher Power?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  11:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If you surrender yourself to the Higher Power all is well. That Power sees your affairs through. Only so long as you think that you are the worker you are obliged to reap the fruits of your actions. If on the other hand, you surrender yourself and recognize your individual self as only a tool of the Higher Power, that Power will take over your affairs along with the fruits of actions. You are no longer affected by them and the work goes on unhampered.
Ramana Maharashi

---------------------------
I am struggling to surrender myself to Divine.
I have been thinking that Helplessness brings one to surrender to higher power.
In my heart, I don’t feel helpless at any point of time. I am having with some sense of self-confidence for overcoming any obstacles.
Even though I utter the word ‘total surrender to Divine’ as part of my prayer, I am not feeling that ‘total’ surrender in my both consciousness and unconsciousness. I choose my actions and continue to do activities as per my choice and I don’t wait for Divine guidance.
What should do I to make myself feel that I have completely surrendered to Higher Power/ Divine? Is there any other feeling other than helplessness, that will help me to completely surrender to divine?

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  11:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha I hadn't realised you had quoted Marahasi and was just about to right that it was the perfect way, until realising you were struggling.

I'm not sure how best to explain this, because like other things it has a duality about it. See that you are seeking to surrender and that you haven't actually surrendered. That's weird isn't it ?

I started the same way, then I realised its not surrendering because that's an action. Instead, it was easier to accept having no control.

Again, duality creeps in, because you still need to maintain your moral and ethical values. It isn't giving up on living, or indeed making changes in your life.

Instead, it's accepting moment to moment that you do not have control.

Alternatively you can surrender. There is no need to pray, just talk to God, the Divine or whatever or whom ever you want. Just say that you who'll accept everything no matter how painful or frightening it is, that you accept the role of servant to do the will of the Divine/God.

This can be done via DM and the 9 basic Sanyama Sutras in Yoganis lessons. Asking for strength to help you to accept the role of servant.

It's important to note when you are really being sincere about accepting the position of servant. It is easy to start looking for signs that it is true, instead of accepting everything as it happens. Accept how you feel when you are angry, sad, in pain. It doesn't mean you are supposed to enjoy it, just that you accept it. The more willing you are to accept at that level, the easier it becomes with practice.

There are many false starts, because the Ego tries to grasp the association with the Divine for itself. Once that happens then you have returned to attachment and self fulfilment. It's tricky to see the line, but you have to work until it is clear that the line has been crossed and then work back towards total authenticity to your servant role. Expect nothing, accept everything but also live your life correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  12:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Surrender the best you can and
****trust****
That is the key to surrender.... trusting that it is right.
The more you trust that you are doing it right, the more effective surrender becomes

It all changes over time... but all through you have to know in your heart, you have to trust, you are doing your best.
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shankar,you'e doing great!Surrender can never be complete.It's always partial as we fellow seekers are doing it through the mind...through an action!So it's normal our mind will object and doubt every now and then...the higher power shall know the mechanism of the mind & knows that the surrender can only be partial from our side!

This will go on till we realize the Self and acquire equanimity...

In the mean time,we can keep the faith in Self by keeping up our practices

All Love!

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  4:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

****trust****

Mmmm...refreshing words from a vibrant person.

I've been thinking about that a lot lately...how the more I stick with my practices with an attitude of "easily favoring"...the more I TRUST the process, the techniques, and the trajectory of mine and the human population's enlightenment. And then with that trust comes a steady stream of small miracles that continually re-affirm that faith in the unfoldment...and then, when there's a feeling of full-body orgasm and divine love penetrating every fiber of our being, the doubt disappears completely--the trust has become self-sustaining. So, it's a cycle of trust and affirmation/confirmation, trust and affirmation/confirmation, and on and on.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  6:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

****trust****

Mmmm...refreshing words from a vibrant person.

I've been thinking about that a lot lately...how the more I stick with my practices with an attitude of "easily favoring"...the more I TRUST the process, the techniques, and the trajectory of mine and the human population's enlightenment. And then with that trust comes a steady stream of small miracles that continually re-affirm that faith in the unfoldment...and then, when there's a feeling of full-body orgasm and divine love penetrating every fiber of our being, the doubt disappears completely--the trust has become self-sustaining. So, it's a cycle of trust and affirmation/confirmation, trust and affirmation/confirmation, and on and on.

Yes, exactly this.... trust and affirmation/confirmation, trust and affirmation/confirmation, and on and on.... in the process surrender happens naturally.
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  9:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure that there is anything (other than practices) that we can do to cultivate the ability to surrender. In fact I'm not even sure that surrender is something anyone can "do." Surrender is what happens naturally when you realize you are not what you think you are and the personal will is revealed for what it is. Then, with a little "relational inquiry" the whole thing unravels on it's own (assuming we continue to practice, tempered with self pacing) and surrender is the inevitable outcome. That's my experience anyway.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

KechariConfusion

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  9:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogishankar

If you surrender yourself to the Higher Power all is well. That Power sees your affairs through. Only so long as you think that you are the worker you are obliged to reap the fruits of your actions. If on the other hand, you surrender yourself and recognize your individual self as only a tool of the Higher Power, that Power will take over your affairs along with the fruits of actions. You are no longer affected by them and the work goes on unhampered.
Ramana Maharashi

In my heart, I don’t feel helpless at any point of time. I am having with some sense of self-confidence for overcoming any obstacles.
Even though I utter the word ‘total surrender to Divine’ as part of my prayer, I am not feeling that ‘total’ surrender in my both consciousness and unconsciousness. I choose my actions and continue to do activities as per my choice and I don’t wait for Divine guidance.
What should do I to make myself feel that I have completely surrendered to Higher Power/ Divine? Is there any other feeling other than helplessness, that will help me to completely surrender to divine?

The great Kashmir Saivite Abhinavagupta would laugh his butt off at such dualistic thinking.

Just recognize yourself as Shiva.
Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  10:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The great Kashmir Saivite Abhinavagupta would laugh his butt off at such dualistic thinking.

That is how I have practiced (Just recognize yourself as Shiva)all these days. Though I have recognized and remembered that I am Shiva, I am continuing to have shortfalls or not achieving few aspects. A crow cannot become Peacock by recognizing or visualizing itself as Peacock. Of course, there are some small mysticism here and there.

Since people have been talking about Ramana Maharishi and his Jnana Yoga and I am trying to understand and attempt his words in practicality. One of my dearest friends have become servant of God and she is happy about it. So I am attempting from being God to Servant.

Edited by - yogishankar on Jul 08 2012 10:46:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  01:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you have to really stick it in your head that this "I" person is not who you really are, and is very limited. Accept yourself as part of a much bigger, Infinite picture. Accept yourself as a wave in God's cosmic ocean and trust Him to bring you to better shores. Then you will be surfing over His vast ocean, completely surrendered.

For me, surrender is putting God first in everything. In every thought, emotion, and action I try to keep God as close as I can in my heart and mind. I try to redirect all my energy towards Him. Always think of God, the infinite, universal spirit, cosmic creator, Oneness, pure Love and bliss, or whatever you percieve it as. For me this comes by conciously identifying with that state experienced in DM and recognizing that as my experience of what That Divine essence is. Its without words. I guess the more you can identify with Inner Silence, pure bliss concsciousness as Yogani would call it, like Carson said, the surrender is automatic. Sometimes everything just dissolves in this bright light during DM, thoughts become of the least importance, and I just intuitively know I'm home, fully Whole again and fully surrendered, happy to be in union with my very essence. By bringing that intuitive knowing out into everyday life with me, I am much more surrendered.

I've made it of the utmost importance to keep what I intuitively know as God, for lack of a better word, the only focus in my life. That doesn't mean ignoring or avoiding normal everyday things, or trying to denounce my human nature however flawed it may be, it just means bringing Him into all that. And you know what? Everything flows better, everything becomes a little easier, I'm not constantly worrying about how to fix this and that in my life, there's not a million things to chase after anymore, just union with Him/Her/That instead, full realization of that Eternal truth. Then its as if you don't have to chase anything anymore, good things start to seek you out! Sincerely give God your all and He will give you much in return. That I can be sure of. The principles of samyama play a big part in this. That is what surrender really is, letting God, letting go of EVERY thing and letting God have it. It's all His anyways. In this surrender I am litterally falling in love with God more and more everyday and consequentially I'm living more and more inspired by that love. The love really does start to just pour out of you and express itself in many good ways. And then life isn't so bad. I'm not so bad. The people around me aren't so bad. Everything is alright. Actually everything is much better. Life really is a miracle.

So surrender by putting God, your highest ideal, ishta, your divine nature, etc first in everything. Always remember that divine essence, try to remain absorbed in inner silence even outside of meditation. Use the principles of samyama. Let go and let God. Let inner silence take over within and without. Don't let life rouse you to become a rebel of your surrender to peace, its inevitable after this physical existence anyways. (Advice I wrote to myself )

Much Love

P.s what's wrong with a little self confidence in your ability to overcome obstacles? Or am I misunderstanding you? Part of believing in yourself is believing in the work of the Divine.

Edited by - Chaz on Jul 09 2012 03:18:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

KechariConfusion

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  3:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

That is how I have practiced (Just recognize yourself as Shiva)all these days. Though I have recognized and remembered that I am Shiva, I am continuing to have shortfalls or not achieving few aspects. A crow cannot become Peacock by recognizing or visualizing itself as Peacock. Of course, there are some small mysticism here and there.

Since people have been talking about Ramana Maharishi and his Jnana Yoga and I am trying to understand and attempt his words in practicality. One of my dearest friends have become servant of God and she is happy about it. So I am attempting from being God to Servant.

There was enlightenment before Ramana Maharishi, I assure you.

For example self-inquiry is the same as the 7-fold chariot reasoning in Buddhism.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  05:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Ramana Maharashi

Your very desire, the struggle to surrender, is itself an indication of your surrender. On the other hand, it also represents the false duality between "me" as the alleged doer, and the "Higher Power." There is really nothing to "do" other than continue to offer up everything, including your struggle! to God, and trust in the Divine process. I have found that life tends to bring us situations that are perfect for encouraging this surrender...
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  11:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@yogishankar: don't let my reply lead you astray from your path,

but I would like to bring a few points up to general discussion:

Does the divine want us to feel helpless ?
Does the divine want us to surrender ourselves to it ?

Of course I can strive to surrender, but if this
surrendering is an escape from responsibility,
then I think that I would be on the wrong track.

I believe the divine has given me the ability
to make choices - and take responsiblity for these choices.
I can reap the fruits of good choices, and have to
bear the consequences of bad choices.

If surrendering to the divine expresses my intention to live
according to the divine will, then that is helpful.
But I think the divine is waiting for my actions in life.
If "surrender" only means to wait for the divine to act,
then something is missing.

The feeling of helplessness is not something I would strive for,
it comes by itself in moments of despair ... (I had many of them),
and only then may be the moment of surrender.
But generally, I don't think that the divine is asking surrender
from us, it asks us to live our life to the best we can.

My 2 cts
Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  11:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to KechariConfusion, RadhaRani, Chaz and Wolfgang.

Kechari: I completely agree with you that there are many enlightenment paths available. Many are in existance much before Ramana. You may be surprised to know that I come from Tantra and Yoga background. I lived in an Ashram about a decade ago and my Guru chose to train me exclusively in Tantra, though he specialized in vedanta. Any way, Kali has been my favourite Goddess and she has showed herself to me when I was 3 years old. She has been my mother since then. I do tantric practices effortlessly with Her blessings and do some little miracles here and there. Rudram-Chamakam chanting is very sacred and powerful. Pre-condition is that I have to visualize myself as Shiva (Rudra) and chant the verses.

Chaz: Thanks for comforting me for having self confidence and positive attitude.

One of my friends told me that she has become servant of God and she is happy about it. She wanted me to try the experience of servant of God. So I am attempting now. So far so good. When I leave the decision to Her and seek Her guidance, things are happening for better.

I agree with Kechari that there are many paths available for enlightenment. I would like to say that if none of the techniques does not work in getting enligtenment, then the last and ultimate solution is complete surrender to Divine. So surrender itself becomes a path or technique

Edited by - yogishankar on Jul 11 2012 9:36:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  04:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Wolfgang 100%

What role does free choice /free will and the responsibility that goes with it play in the process of surrendering?

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Jul 11 2012 04:52:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  10:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I also agree with Wolfgang. The whole point of life is to make choices and take action, to develop the will. Not the will of ego-self, but the will of the Self.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000