Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Humility
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  07:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What exactly is Humility? I added this word to my samayama list right from the start. It is to me the most important word. I am pretty sure I am not making much progress in learning how to be humble - I do not consider myself overly arrogant or conceited - but not humble enough. Reflecting upon it just now, I realise that I am not even sure what it entails.
Grateful for inputs

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  07:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Snap

Humility is first on my list of sutras (before the 9 'recommended' ones). It means many things to me - simplicity, openness, patience, above all an open acknowledgment that all the knowledge that mind prizes so highly is nothing at all.

'Knowledge is proud that it knows so much, wisdom is humble that it knows no more.'

William Cowper

Edited by - amoux on Aug 18 2010 08:08:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  08:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Humilitation gives birth to humility, a profound human ability!

In the Swedish language, it becomes even more beautiful:

Humility = ödmjukhet, which would be "softening to one's destiny"
Humiliation = förödmjukelse, which would be "pre - softening to one's destiny"

See the whole post here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=5949#53651

and the topic Are insights a necessary ingredient on the journey
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5978

Nice topic!
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  5:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

What exactly is Humility? I added this word to my samayama list right from the start. It is to me the most important word. I am pretty sure I am not making much progress in learning how to be humble - I do not consider myself overly arrogant or conceited - but not humble enough. Reflecting upon it just now, I realise that I am not even sure what it entails.
Grateful for inputs

Hi SeySorciere,

I would respectfully submit that evaluating humility with mind is much like asking a thief to protect your valuables.

Humility is emphasized by every spiritual tradition, because it refers to a relaxing of the separate sense of self, aka "pride".

Simply put: complete humility is complete surrender; complete release - complete trust.

Conditioned ego-mind finds this so daunting, because ego-mind basically is the energy of self (idea) protection, aka "pride".

In complete surrender, complete humility, we realize the beauty of what ego-mind cannot realize:

Life is perfect, beautiful and utterly free, when left to run on its own (without the me-idea trying to interject its ideas about control into the mix).

Life is real when left to run on its own.

The idea of a separate self is how we create and sustain unenlightenment.

Humility and enlightenment are ultimately synonymous; both terms simply mean "to live in/from/as reality".

Edited by - Kirtanman on Aug 18 2010 5:41:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  01:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
to me humility is when a total stranger comes in front of you.....(differently abled) in some cases and you look them in the eyes with love....total adoration for being just human....bowing to their feet even if they committed the worst of things....giving them a chance to start over....to listen to them.......to move forward in this world as one, by spreading the love......with total understanding and compassion for each other.

I sort of see people people like light that shines and dims with obstacles in their path.....I don't ever intend to be any obstacle to anyone....

quietude...openmindness and trust follows humility
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  02:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what Humility is...
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  08:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Although it is difficult to precisely define any word, humility is one that is extra difficult. I think that is because humility is defined more by what it is not than what it is. When I think of the word humility, the next word that always seems to bubble up for me is "restraint." Which is yet another concept identified more by negation than anything else. Interesting..
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  10:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
humility to me
could also be a state of subservience followed with compassion.....
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  10:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
humility = internally enforced ego buster
humiliation = externally enforced ego buster

I love emc's translation: softening to one's destiny.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  11:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman
[br

Simply put: complete humility is complete surrender; complete release - complete trust.

Aaah this I totally agree with!

I could read this topic over and over andover again everyday!

I just love it!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  03:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

[quote]

Hi SeySorciere,

I would respectfully submit that evaluating humility with mind is much like asking a thief to protect your valuables.

Humility is emphasized by every spiritual tradition, because it refers to a relaxing of the separate sense of self, aka "pride".

Conditioned ego-mind finds this so daunting, because ego-mind basically is the energy of self (idea) protection, aka "pride".

In complete surrender, complete humility, we realize the beauty of what ego-mind cannot realize:

Life is perfect, beautiful and utterly free, when left to run on its own (without the me-idea trying to interject its ideas about control into the mix).

Life is real when left to run on its own.

The idea of a separate self is how we create and sustain unenlightenment.

Humility and enlightenment are ultimately synonymous; both terms simply mean "to live in/from/as reality".

Yes, thank you, I think your response is what I was looking for.
Last night, right after meditation, I got an intense feeling of how unreal my life is.
Progress is slow.. way too slow.. I don't even know if it's really happening. Still I plod on.

EMC - love the swedish translation !
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  03:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Manipura, I had to think twice about the word buster. First I thought it was "booster" - feeding the ego, but it didn't fit, so then I came to think of Ghost busters, and realized it must be the word!

I will never forget what my wise persian friend once said:

"It's only the master who can be humble. It's not the servant's job". Meaning it's only the one with advantages who can really be humble.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Manipura, I had to think twice about the word buster. First I thought it was "booster" - feeding the ego, but it didn't fit, so then I came to think of Ghost busters, and realized it must be the word!

I will never forget what my wise persian friend once said:

"It's only the master who can be humble. It's not the servant's job". Meaning it's only the one with advantages who can really be humble.

I once heard someone say, "I have a lot to be humble about."
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  05:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
enlightened beings showed much compassion and humillity,i think they got the truth that what we are in this life is not for our merits but for the grace of god,we are only instruments of gods will.the soul is innocent pure and eternal but each human has a different karma its very sad and cruel how much weve been fooled and wel be fooled from maya and karma cicle,some people right from the begining of their lifes cant do nothing to stop the hell that is coming forward,thats why surrender to god its so difficult and thats why praying asking for gods mercy its the only way.but ofcourse its just my reflexion.the life of a human being is somehow condicionated by the horosope and the benefit of the planets,yes the grahas are in a way the army of god and this is just one of the multiple factors that integrate the casting of the welfare or disgrace of a human being,but if someone in the midle of the grief have faith and surrender to thee, its said that god will allways help.(is not easy).sorry for this words,im someone facing a very difficult sitation but i see that when i surrender to god and pray, things get much better sometimes even miraculously better but when i abandone my faith and praying things become rough,my situation is not something to have as a reference cause its very special but in a way yes it is.everyone of us if we hold on to god he will take care of us.
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  10:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't remember where I read it, but the definition for humility was something like "The freedom from thinking about yourself".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000