Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 After long hiatus, back to AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I recently started back with AYP after a year or two hiatus. I hadn't completely stopped meditation and pranayama during that time, but drifted away from the specific AYP techniques. A few weeks ago I had the strong inclination to get back to the AYP methods: 10 minutes pranayama, followed by 20 minutes mediation, twice per day.

It's been going well, but a few hiccups that may or may not be related to AYP; which is what brings me here, to see if anyone has had similar experience.

First few days were fine but I then started noticing an immediate change in my sleeping and dreaming. Particularly, dreams have become very powerful, vivid, and at times intense. Not necessarily "bad" dreams, but very moving dreams that sometime leave me feeling profoundly sad or empty...it's hard to explain but this has only started with AYP. May or may not be related. Secondly, I've actually become a little more edgy and emotional in my daily activity (strange, i know); feeling a little off balance. My meditations started out great but I'm not doing alot of thinking, which is odd as I've been meditating for years.

I can handle the vivid dreams and broken sleep, but I'm wondering about the agitation in daily activity.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. What are the chances (realistically) that my AYP practices are causing this?

Thank you in advance...

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BluesFan and welcome back!

Chances are VERY good that the AYP practices are causing your agitation in daily activity. This is a classic example of "overload". I don't know (or remember) how much you know about the AYPractices, but it may be a good idea to work yourself back into the practices rather then jumping back into 10 mins of SBP and 20 mins of DM. AYP causes massive amounts of purification and this purification is what is causing your agitation (90% for sure IMO). Try 20 minutes of DM for a week or two, add in some active grounding practices, and work back into SBP as you find stability with DM. Perhaps it would be a good idea to re-read the "self-pacing" lesson here: http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

Hope this sorts itself out soon! Glad to have you (back) here.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  03:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BluesFan

I agree with Carson, it does sound like overload symptoms. Sometimes a hiatus can (temporarily) increase our sensitivity to practice. Our sensitivity can also fluctuate over time, so I wouldn't feel bad about having to scale back. You'll be back on track in no time

I hope the agitation passes swiftly.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  08:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BluesFan,

Good to see you back!!!

I agree with Carson and Cosmic, ease back into the practices, don't start with both spinal breathing and meditation from day one... do 20 min meditation and then add 10 min spinal breathing after a week or two.

The agitation in daily activity though generally happens if you don't take enough rest after coming out of meditation. So after your practice, make sure you rest for 5 - 10 min before you get up and go about your day. Also, the second session, do it early evening and not close to bed time. Doing the second practice close to bed time may affect the quality of your sleep. So make sure you are not doing the second practice close to bed time.

Really happy to see you again.
All the best.
Go to Top of Page

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  7:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the responses. Oddly it never occured to me that the 10 sbp + 20 meditation formula might be too much right now; probably because I'd done it for quite awhile in the past without issue.

I admit that I have only been taking maybe a minute or two of rest after meditation. I'll up that to 5 minutes minimum.

Thank you again for the thoughts and the warm welcome back. This is a neat internet locale with some great folks.

Shanti - I remember you! Good to 'see' you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000