Vedic Astrology (Jyotisha) and Yoga
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

satyagraha

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  12:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Message
I would like to know the importance people place on Astrology in the Sadhana and in their daily lives.

Since most of us are Westerners practising a science from India (Yoga), it seems that we don't have ready access to Vedic Astrological information. There is an inextricable link between Yoga and Astrology whether it is acknowledged or not. I am slowly learning about this via books - such as those by Dr. Robert Svoboda (Aghora series, and Ayurveda books) and Dr. David Frawley (Vedic Meditation etc).

I do not have a Birth Chart and am not entirely sure where I can get one. When I have been in India I have expressed interest (albiet in areas frequented by tourists) but have been unable to find a genuine Jyotisha only people interested in tricking westerns and taking a lot of money from them. So I have held back on getting one, which also gives me time to research a bit more into Jyotisha.

I would like to know the significance people here place on astrological knowledge. Since the body is a Microcosm of the Macrocosm of the Universe, and Yoga is the science which utilizes all the knowledge of Ayurveda and Tantra to guide us to self-realization.

This seems like the most complete and holistic development of man, rather than approaching Yoga from one direction (e.g. just asana, pranayama etc).

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  10:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't place any importance on Astrology in Sadhana. Why would it? Do you need to know something about yourself that you don't know now? Something about the future? To me that is contradictory to surrender to the One, and just letting the flow of life carry you forward.

As to using the knowledge of Astrology as part of arcane practices, what ever floats your boat. Complications don't get you to Nirvana any quicker then simple but steady progress (and even that is wrong since Nirvana is now). I remember some classes in Taoist meditation where we had to bring the energy of some stars and planets into our microcosm. Please ... If your a bozo, which I am, no amount of galactic energy is going to make a difference.

Astrology is from the time when people thought the earth was flat. It comes from that "stages" or levels point of view that gives rise to astrology and even the caste system. Who needs that?

Astrology is just as "scientific" as reading tea leaves or bones, in that it is not really about the objects, but more of the practitioner who finds a means to tap into their inner Self to read a bit of the infinite knowledge available. Any other interpretation leads to irrational thinking. Imagine, all babies born on the same day in one maternity ward have the same destiny and all that stuff. (yeah, I know, I don't know about the true astrology that the [greeks, Indians, Egyptians, Mayan, ...] discovered, and its more complicated since blah blah).

Sure everyone has at one point or another needed guidance or 'signs' to show the way, but there is a tendency to go overboard (as with Crystals and other stuff). Just look at Astrologic advice when it comes unbidden as commentary on your way.

But, I know nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Saija

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  04:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a Sagittarius but i took a vedic Indian astrology test yesterday and i came out as Scorpio sun with Virgo as my ascendant and moon. The truth is i am a sag with a Libra sac and moon.See that is the thing, Vedic and Tropical disagree. This demonstrates my point that astrology is ludicrous as astrologers can't even agree which is legit. You have people who swear by Vedic and people who swear by Tropical. It is all BELIEF based so it doesn't make one more truthful than the other.
[url=http://www.guidedmeditationz.com/]Guided meditation[/url]

Edited by - Saija on Sep 27 2010 06:52:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Saija,
I'd be curious to know on which site you took your vedic astrology test.
Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

njethwa

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  10:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on my brief theoritical knowledge, western astrology is sun based and Indian astrology is moon based. So based on Sun chart, I am sagitarius and based on moon chart I am scorpio :)

Even in India, there are different types of charting methods. The planetary positions remain the same based on your time and birth place but the different charts help the astrologer understand various view points. "

Astrology is a science but I don't think it can help you in yoga or meditation. On the other hand your sadhana can help you in the study of astrology
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  12:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
If you get very deep into the yogic arts (like swara yoga), astrology does make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  3:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

If you get very deep into the yogic arts (like swara yoga), astrology does make a difference.

How so?
Go to Top of Page

supernova

India
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  3:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit supernova's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Suryakant
point #1 - nice one. i will remember this.
point #2 - stellar observation.(pun unintented). Even i kind of thought so. I never could believe planets influencing us. Macrocosm and microcosm obey same rules, nothing is random even though it seems so. By observing macrocosm, one can predict microcosm. Rishis saw the link by their great intuition.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  3:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Suryakant
If the hologram is a viable analogy for samsara/maya, then the ancient adage "As above, so below" describes how astrology can provide useful information: not by causation, but by correlation.

True, of course there are correlations and relationships among everything. The question is are those usable or observable? My bias is that Astrology as well as other divination approaches, like the i-ching, are not adequate, they are not math. What you get from them is vague and applicable to anyone, just generalities. You won't be seeing them being used in emergency room in hospitals.

At least the meteorologist can predict rain or snow, Astrologers would say, "prepare for a change". LOL!

Ok, if any Astrologer is reading, what is the next Lottery number? Don't know? Here is an easier one, will Obama serve another term as USA President? I'm sure you can find his charts, and so forth.

James Randi on Astrology

Carl Sagan on Astrology

Funny video on new age health: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

Edited by - Jo-self on Oct 02 2010 3:51:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000