AYPsite.org Forum
 Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 Life Sketch of Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  11:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It's on page 466 of the book, the rest are his spiritual discourses.

Don't worry it's a good read with all the goodies you have on your mind in it (a good read like autobiography of a yogi but it's much shorter.)

http://sites.google.com/site/advait...tredirects=0

enjoy!

satyagraha

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  10:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I found this very interesting. It serves as a reminder to the importance of a physical guru in this age of information when everything is available at our fingertips.

I think we have a strong obstacle of superficiality of practise and of trying out many different practises at a surface level, but not experiencing anything on a deep level.

It seems that for all, but very few of us a physical guru is necessary to guide us, but ALL the work must me done by us.
Go to Top of Page

satyagraha

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  10:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is one word in this text which I would like to know the meaning of - tattvopadesha.

"Those of the disciples who were chosen by him were given the final course of
regular tattvopadesha, when the whole Truth was expounded by him in a connected
manner."

I believe it to mean when a guru can convey the meaning of what he intends directly to the disciple beyond words?
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in touch with Sri Ananda Wood and might visit him sometime next year. He's one of the last living people who had direct experience of the Truth in the presence of Sri Atmananda and he was twelve years old back then. He's established in the Truth now but does not take the stand of a guru instead that of fellow seeker on the path. People who used to go to Sri Atmananda used to have direct experience in his presence, and then after that when they were gone and the old samskaras came back he would tell them to practice "visualization" of that incident and keep on doing that until one is totally established in the Truth. but that's one of his methods, he also taught about deep sleep... you can say that his teachings were mostly tylered to fit the demands of his disciples.

quote:

“You first listen to the Truth direct from the lips of the Guru. Your mind, turned perfectly sattvic by the luminous presence of the Guru, has become so sensitive and sharp that the whole thing is impressed upon it as if it were a sensitive film. You visualize your real nature then and there. But the moment you come out, the check of the presence of the Guru being removed, other samskaras rush in and you are unable to recapitulate what was said or heard. But later on, whenever you think of that glorious incident, the whole picture comes back to your mind – including the form, words and arguments of the Guru – and you are thrown afresh into the same state of visualization you had experienced on the first day. Thus you constantly hear the same Truth from within. This is how a spiritual tattvopadesha helps you all through life, till you are established in your own real nature.”

Lucky be the one who has found his guru.

From Stillnessspeaks.com
Go to Top of Page

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

http://sites.google.com/site/advait...tredirects=0

enjoy!

Hi Ananda,

I have heard Swami Atmananda was a great sage.

from the link:
"Next, he went through the hardest grind of yogic exercises, following the paths of different yogas in order. In the course of his yogic exercises once, his body was paralysed. This happens to all yogins when they transcend a particular adhara-cakra (nerve centre)."

It says paralysis as something compulsory on path to enlightenment, I don't think that is true.

Edited by - arzkiyahai on Aug 05 2010 02:13:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  02:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi arzkiyahai,

the body paralysis he had was something that had to do with certain yogic exercises he was doing and yes it's not necessary. Sri Atmananda didn't believe in the necessity of taking on these spiritual disciplines for attaining Self realization he believed in the jnana approach (the direct one.) It was his guru Sri Yogananda who told him to go through these disciplines because he knew that Sri Atmananda was going to be a teacher in his own right and people from different paths and traditions would come to him.

This is why he first practiced krishna bhakta sadhana and after it the yogic disciplines until he had nirvikalpa samadhi at hand but thought to himself that this still requires effort and happens only in meditation...

Sri Atmananda taught the direct approach (pure vedanta) and he was adamant about it and that's how he attained Self realization in the end...

Love
Ananda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000