Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 fasting during 10-day vipassana retreat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  10:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm thinking about fasting during the upcoming 10-day retreat. Has anyone ever done it? Is it safe? Just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback in regards to it.

john

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 16 2010 11:49:42 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  11:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

JECDisciple123

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  10:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have fasted for 5 days and it was the first time I had fasted. It is quite challenging to take on fasting and a 10 day meditation course. On a v course you normally only eat one meal a day anyway. I suggest you do that, as the course itself is testing enough. Unless you have experience in both, then you are a better guide than I. X
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  12:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They don't allow fasting on Vipassana retreats so if your going to do it you will probably have to be pretty discreet about it. I have done plenty of fasting and have found it compatible with any activities as long as your in a healthy mindset and expecting the best. I second the advice above though, if its your first attempt at either probably best to do them separately. GOOD LUCK
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  12:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I did a 2 week fast a couple of months ago. It's very safe just as long as you break the fast if you feel like something is wrong.

Fasting is amazing. My two week fast really really improved my health. Health problems really can disrupt some spiritual break threws.

These are great videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aueix05IV5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfTFpeB8Pc
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  08:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wakeupneo

I'm thinking about fasting during the upcoming 10-day retreat. Has anyone ever done it? Is it safe? Just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback in regards to it.

john

Hi John,
I would not recommend it. A 10 day Vipassana retreat is intense enough. Please don't add fasting to this. Eat light, drink water but don't double whammy yourself.

Wish you all the best. Let us know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  10:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your responses...

Shanti, perhaps your right...

j
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000