Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Why Aghori practice is the pinnacle of practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  09:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Many feel that Aghori type practice is a deviation or abomination of Hinduism. When I use aghori in the rest of this post, I really mean kapalikas and all of those ancient "heterodox" traditions. Most people are only familiar with the word aghori, so thats why I am using that word.

I would say that Aghori is real hinduism, and not an abomination.

What I have learned is that Hinduism is really about tantra. Tantra has nothing to do with sex by the way. I am using the correct definition.

Hinduism is a tantric religion.

What does this mean?

If you go to a Hindu temple, you will see various idols (murthis).
If you ask the priest what is below the idol, he will tell you that there is a yantra. A yantra is the particular symbol for that particular deity. The yantra actually even has the bija mantra for that particular deity on the yantra itself.

When the priests installs the idol/murthi in a new temple, a bunch of them perform the sthapana ceremony.

The sthapana ceremony, which I have witnessed, involves the priest reciting mantras, using the yantra of the deity, fire ritual etc.

The main thing is the yantra and mantra, as far as I understand.

Aghori practice is also tantric, meaning it uses yantras and mantras. Aghori type practice, such as the kapalikas, eventually gave rise to Tibetan buddhism. This is the most mind blowing part. The sweet tibetan monks, like the Dalai Lama do secret rituals involving skull caps and symbols of menstral blood and semen etc.

Even high end Dzogchen practice has the same core philosophy as Aghori i.e. that everything is pure and that which is impure is the mind. Dzogchen has frequent references to practicing in a charnel ground.

And this all ties into the mahasiddhas who transcended religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahasiddha

Edited by - alwayson2 on Jul 16 2010 1:55:23 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000