Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep meditation duration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  9:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Given that the IAM mantra is used for cultivating inner silence (SHIVA), wouldn't it be beneficial to practice it more? And perhaps prevent excess energy symptoms?

Other practices have some techniques that may be utilised for long durations, i.e Hong sau pranayama, and this is an energy cultivator.

Or is there a technique that will cultivate more shiva, perhaps in a more passive way that others have found compatible? Just wondering because I have a lot of bhakti that's seeking an outlet.

Edited by - jamuna on Jul 10 2010 9:07:55 PM

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  02:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jamuna

quote:
Originally posted by jamuna

Given that the IAM mantra is used for cultivating inner silence (SHIVA), wouldn't it be beneficial to practice it more?

Not necessarily. Everyone has their own sensitivity level, so you'll have to find your own. But 20 minutes, twice a day is plenty for a lot of people. 30 minutes is considered very aggressive.

Too much can cause overload symptoms. Then cutting back on practices for a while

Other techniques (within AYP) for cultivating more shiva are Samyama and mantra enhancements. It's a good idea to make sure your current practice has been stable for several months or more, before you add additional practices. Especially with mantra enhancements.

Service to others or other forms of karma yoga are a good outlet for bhakti...

Enjoy the ride

With Love
cosmic

Edited by - cosmic on Jul 11 2010 02:14:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  11:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Once you have a very advanced practice, the rules no longer apply.

So at that point you can do whatever meditation you see fit.

But in the early stages, its probably best to keep you DM to under :30 minutes per.

In my experience, the Shiva aspect comes later than the Shakti aspect.
Later in both the linear growth of Prana, and also later in each individual meditation. So in DM you gradually allow the Shakti to overtake you completely. Once that is accomplished, the Shiva aspect will move. The Shiva aspect is immensely powerful and I would not play around with it if you are not an extremely advanced practitioner.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000