Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Seeking clarification on Kundalini
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elusive

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  3:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The meditation I usually do is inspired by the Mahamudra/Dzogchen traditions.

I am not into the philosophical aspect of these traditions very much because I am aware of the limitations of my own thought.

It seems that my mind would be pleased to hold on to a little piece of information and think that it has the whole truth.

So usually I avoid that and maintain a no-view philosophical position about reality.

Sometimes it feels like a cop-out for not being intelligent enough to grasp in depth philosophy but there is something very Zen about the no-view approach.

From another perspective, it is also a liberation from limiting views and dogmas.

Thought, to me, at least when it comes to divining grand theories of everything, seems like a mirage or a maze leading nowhere, a desperate attempt of the mind to make sense of reality.

I saw the phrase 'the no-mind not-thinks no-thoughts about no-thing' or something like that somewhere. That's how I live.

I have friends who got caught up in various philosophical systems after breaking from their past conditioned mind, but they appear to have fallen in the same old trap. So ... the no-mind not-thinks no-thoughts about no-thing. Comes in handy!

So, my meditation usually goes like this :

1) relaxing the body; sitting comfortable, breathing steadily, slowly, with refined breathing; eyes gently close over several minutes so they rest without movement; relax all muscles etc until peacefulness is revealed

2) begin inner contemplation; I use practices from Kashmir Shaivism's Vijnana Bhairava Tantra and also the general practices outlind in texts like Tilopa's Song of Mahamudra. Basically recognizing the nature of the intrinsic awareness, becoming established in that state until the states dissolve inwards i.e., waking state into dreaming state into dreamless state. In Ksemaraja's commentary on the Siva Sutras he writes that for yogis, jagrat (the waking state) is the dharana stage of meditation, fixing the mind on the object of contemplation. Svapna (the dreaming state) is the dhyana stage of flowing focused meditation, and Susupti (the dreamless state) is samadhi or oneness with the object of contemplation i.e., if you are contemplating on your intrinsic nature then you begin in the waking state, and as your meditation becomes more refined the mind enters the introverted dreaming state, and when that stage of dhyana reaches its perfection the mind enters the dreamless susupti state of emptiness, no-mind. There is a state beyond this but susupti-samadhi state is quite profound of itself.

I do not understand the role of Kundalini properly. In 2008 I had a spontaneous full rising of Kundalini and at a later time while formally meditating it began to rise but I stopped the process out of fear. Is Kundalini energy the same energy experienced in the progressively deepening stages of meditative absorption? I feel a penetration of energies sometimes, the inner state 'illumines' or 'ignites' out of nowhere. Is this Kundalini? It usually seems operative at the front of my skull so far as I can tell from the vague body perception at the time. I have never felt Kundalini at the lower centers since that spontaneous awakening and the partial one.

Is it necessary for Kundalini to awaken gradually from the lower centers and rise? Or can it immediately awaken in the higher centers, bypassing the others? Is this what awakened Kundalini means, that it's no longer confined to the lower centers in a dormant state but potentially available at all times thereafter? That would explain why sometimes when my meditation is pure there is that penetration of energies rather than just peaceful repose in no-mind.

I should also mention that I practice what you call Amaroli extensively. I drink almost all of my urine and do body rubs with it. I also rarely ejaculate although sometimes I masturbate close to climax and have minor non-ejaculator orgasms. I do not practice any sex tantra in particular (not aware of the details of it) but perhaps what I do is the same thing in that regard. I bring myself close to climax but stop there and breath deeply. This seems to charge that energy and I feel it predominantly again at the front of my skull, not in the genitals.

Is it possible for Kundalini to awaken and then "go back to sleep"? Sometimes I think that is what happened to me because I cannot bring about the rise of it from the lower centers upwards whatsoever. In fact, the notion of chakras is irrelevant for me at the moment simply because I do not experience any distinct energy centers except perhaps the third eye / front of skull area. I have an intuitive grasp of exactly where the chakras are but do not feel anything unusual there. Is this simply a case of neglect? I have not done extensive meditation focusing on these centers to bring them into my awareness more. Is this necessary or are they self-illumined when they are actively functioning?

Another question - as mentioned before, most of the meditations I do are 'laya bhavana' and contemplations on sunyata. Through these that "penetration of energies" occurs at times so I assume that these practices do not exclude Kundalini activity?

Last question for now - is the Buddhist Anapanasati Yoga breathing practice related to Kundalini in an indirect way? Since it is prana-sakti being worked with surely it has some relation? Could Anapanasati be viewed as a way of balancing those energies in a gentle harmonious way rather than excitedly awakening them as in other tantric yogas?

Thanks for any insight.

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  03:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can find great sources and posts in this forum regarding your queries above.

I suggest you to read the below link:
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/r...s/ays156.asp

Symptoms/signs of awakened K:
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/r...s/ays173.asp

There is plenty of info in that book regarding Chakras, Nadis, Breathing practices etc.

Do not fear. Have faith and trust. Be strong! Be patient!

You will get all your answers in time.

We are all together into this.
Go to Top of Page

elusive

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  01:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, I have none of those symptoms. Guess my Kundalini is fast asleep then. Interesting.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  05:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by elusive

Guess my Kundalini is fast asleep then.

I don't think so. The way you have mentioned you meditate is certainly a sign of awakened Kundalini.

And that is why you are here

But still those symptoms mentioned above are true and I have experienced all of them.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  06:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest you try AYP practice 'Spinal Breathing' for a few days. Then let us know how it goes.

Also look at:
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/r...s/ays172.asp

But try Spinal Breathing first.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000