Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Lip syncing a mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thisguy

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  8:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing some deep meditation for about 6 months now. I am currently using "shree om shree om i am i am namah" as a mantra. I have notice a dramatic change recently in the way I perceive the mantra. Before I have always made movements with my mouth and tongue as I pronounced the mantra. I'm not saying the mantra was audible, it was more like I was lip syncing it. I didn't purposely do that, it was more of an involuntary movement. Anyway, recently this movement has receded and I am starting to "think" the mantra for lack of a better word. I no longer lip sync it or see the words with my mind's eye. I just think that I am repeating it. I can't really describe it any better than that, and was hoping that someone could offer me some insight onto what this means, if it is a sign of progress or something I should avoid. My first impression was that this could be what is meant be inner silence. My inner consciousness becomes so silent that the mantra just IS.

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  03:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thisguy,

Welcome to the forums

It sounds like progress to me. Lip-syncing and seeing the mantra in your mind's eye are actually not part of the procedure of deep meditation. If they happen naturally and don't distract you from repeating the mantra, that's okay. But we don't actively visualize the mantra or lip-sync.

"Thinking the mantra" as you mentioned is fine. Eventually the mantra will become more and more subtle, but this just happens naturally as well.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000