Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Exhale Way Shorter than Inhale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  06:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
During SP, it probably takes me around 20-25 seconds to inhale comfortably, while that even if I try to prolong the exhale with the ujjay, it takes me about a fourth or fifth the time of the inhale. Is that alright? Or should I try to even them up somehow?

Thanks,
CE

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  08:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same as what I said in the meditation topic. Do the process as described in the lesson. The inhale/exhale time will change as you keep going. So for now, just focus on tracing the spine.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  1:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would try to open up the inhale in this case. Rather than struggling to lengthen the exhalation instead, open the throat more and inhale without restriction. Once the inhalation is shortened to about the same length as the exhalation then you can slowly work on lengthening the exhalation. Yogani teaches and I agree that there should not be a restriction on the inhalation during pranayama. Inhalation should feel spontaneous after the breath has deeply and thoroughly been exhaled. The inhalation is a natural regulatory function and should be spontaneous, natural, not restricted. Maybe slight control just to smooth it out very gently but I would make no effort to prolong the inhalation.
As for exhalation not only is it good to gently restrict the throat in ujjayi bit also I have found that special attention should be made to the end of exhalation to be sure that the breath is deeply and fully squeezed out before beginning inhalation.
Go to Top of Page

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  7:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Victor,
I was overdoing the inhale. It's much smoother now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000