Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Already used to specific mantra before DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  5:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit tom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Several years before I learned about AYP, I already learned a mantra meditation in the TM tradition, although by independent teachers who had broken away from the TM organisation.

Now, whenever I tried out the I AM mantra of AYP, I found out that my already accustomed mantra from earlier on remained more effective (measured subjectively, of course, by the achieved relaxation and increased well-being), as if it already had ingrained itself deeply in my system.

So, is it perhaps best to stick with the familiar mantra (using exactly the procedure as outlined in TM and in AYP DM lessons) and use it in the framework of additional AYP techniques as a placeholder for I AM meditation?

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  6:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I stuck to my TM mantra. Tried both, no difference. My TM mantra has four words and is very similar to the AYP ones. My opinion is that when one takes the vector of transcending, via diksha or other means, the mantra, even a wrong one, gets empowered.

Go to Top of Page

rce

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  8:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit rce's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and welcome Tom.

I asked a similar question here.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=7595
Go to Top of Page

tom

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  07:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit tom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way: are the AYP mantra enhancements usable with a TM mantra, or does TM use other enhancements?

That would be helpful in deciding whether to stick with the accustomed mantra or change to I AM.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  08:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest you try "i am" with AYP.
At first it may seem a bit distracting, but like any distractions, when you realize you are on to the other mantra, come back to "i am". It is just a matter of un-leaning the old one.

If you do want to continue with the original mantra, that is fine too, but then, Yogani says, it is not AYP.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3875#33586
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi UniversalMind and Kathy:

For going to AYP mantra enhancements, being well-established with the I AM mantra is obviously the logical place to be coming from for known results, since the enhancements are designed for that. So when people come asking about mantra enhancements, I point to that.

On the other hand, I would not recommend outright that anyone change their practice or mantra if following another teaching, since that would be interference with another path, which we avoid doing.

For those who are committed to another path and wanting to add something from AYP, it is possible to use a mantra like a TM one and build the AYP mantra enhancements around that. But the results will be unknown and it would be the practitioner's experiment. So there are several ways to approach it -- some that are straight up and known AYP, and many more that are hybrids with other systems and should be regarded as experimental.

While on the subject of TM and other forms of meditation, AYP spinal breathing pranayama before meditation is a much more clearly defined and easy add-on that can make a substantial difference in results. A lot of bang for the buck available there, with less chance for an unknown outcome. Spinal breathing makes most forms of meditation more powerful. Then self-pacing will likely become the next step on the learning curve.

In applying the AYP methods, it is always the practitioner's choice. What is known (straight up AYP), we can verify and support. What may not be known (innumerable hybrid approaches), we will learn about in time, and share. And the knowledge-base keeps growing. So it goes.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  1:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tom,
IMO., either way and no big deal. Just decide and go for 1 of those 2.
The point is to be able to keep on meditating even when the ego has been soothed and numbed off:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=7871#69404
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  11:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello tom,

I will just add that whatever mantra you choose, your practice can benefit from incorporating AYP principles. Self-pacing and spinal breathing pranayama are particularly useful.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

tom

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  09:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit tom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the well meant advice!

I decided to try out again the AYAM mantra, and for some reason or other, this time it seems to work rather well.

Wait and see! If all stays the smooth ride it currently is, I needn't concern myself with questions of compatibility anymore.

Edited by - tom on Jun 08 2010 09:47:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000