Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Desire, healing, and enlightenment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  06:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Doing some self observation, I notice that I seem to heal at an emotional and even physical level when desire levels (for a female) are high. At the same time, what I read about enlightnement is that it is the letting go of desire.

So therein lies a dilemma. If I must have desire in order to heal but must let go of desire in order to reach enlightenment, how can both of those things occur? Must the healing take place first to a level high enough to let enable you to let go?

Also, would an alpha male like myself really want to let go of phsyical/sexual desire? I just can't see that happening, ever.

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  6:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello solo

quote:
Originally posted by solo

At the same time, what I read about enlightnement is that it is the letting go of desire.

I know nothing about enlightenment, but my understanding is that "letting go" is quite different from "getting rid of". I feel that as long as we live, we will desire. It's part of being human. The idea isn't to get rid of desire, but to let go of our attachment to it. To "transcend" it, so to speak...

I can attest to the letting go aspect. Desire is very much alive in me, but my attachment to it is much less. Because of meditation. I don't know if desire will disappear altogether at some point, but if it does, it's happening on its own. So I don't need to do anything about it.

quote:
Originally posted by solo

Also, would an alpha male like myself really want to let go of phsyical/sexual desire? I just can't see that happening, ever.

Want to? Hahaha! I pray to God that this is the last thing to go

My own attraction to women is still alive, and still has a very physical/sexual aspect to it. But over time, the attraction is healthier and more whole. The more "inner" aspects of a woman, like emotion, personality, being-ness, are more attractive than the purely physical/sexual side. Beauty is perceived on a deeper level than just the flesh.

Just my view for whatever that's worth

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  2:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I may just be older than the two of you, but my "letting go" perspective has been a little different. I have found a change in my actual desire levels. It started as a drop in desire for many material things (i.e. new sports cars became unimportant), then a drop in interest in drinking (have a large unused wine collection) and more of an indifference on food. Over time, I have to admit that there has been a change in my sexual desire. Sorry to say, but physically beautiful women don't have the same impact.

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  11:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand something like:
Desire leads to suffering; Desire means that the mind wants to posses something (material, knowledge or whatever) that it thinks to give it power/control. Suffering comes from the inability to posses it, or if it is possesed, from the idea that sooner or later you will lose it. The only thing that mind cannot posses is its source, so the path of self realization is also a practice of desire, which will bring you suffering, frustration, etc. Even if your ego feels great sometimes because you achieved some kind of power or experience that makes you think you are getting special, you will suffer trying to repeat the experience or being afraid of losing the power.

Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  12:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But I believe that if you want cheese on your pasta, and you have the cheese, there's nothing wrong in using it. Unless you let your mind torture yourself for desiring it.

Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  12:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's say you like suffering. And you want to directly experience suffering, with no desire of any kind in the middle, can you suffer?
...hmm well you might be able to suffer from not being able to accomplish your desire for suffering.

Sorry has nothing to do with anything ...just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  05:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Solo,

Desire itself is not the root of all evil. There are some desires which are wholesome and which can be cultivated on the spiritual path. The desire to become enlightened, or to transcend all suffering for example are wholesome desires which can help us on the path. The desire to serve others, and to engage in spiritual practices are essential if we are to make any progress. You could say that without desire (bhakti) we wouldn't even step foot on the spiritual path in the first place.

Even sexual desires can be used to accelerate progress on the path if we use tantric practices. So really it is a case of cultivating the right desires, and using them skillfully to further our progress.

See this lesson on spiritual desire:

http://www.aypsite.org/12.html

and this one on transforming sexual desire:

http://www.aypsite.org/T2.html

Christi
Go to Top of Page

neerja1

India
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  08:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit neerja1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Quote:So really it is a case of cultivating the right desires, and using them skillfully to further our progress:Unquote

A conscious effort to cultivate right desires...but are we not being judgmental by such concepts of right and wrong....who decides...?

Neerja

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000