Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  04:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There are many translations available.
This one is probably the best I know.

Download from here: http://www.arlingtoncenter.org/Sans...-English.pdf

yogas citta-vrtti-nirodhah

yogas = process of yoking; union
citta = consciousness
vrtti = patterning, turnings, movements
nirodhah = stilling, cessation, restriction

Yoga is to still the patterning of consciousness.

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  7:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tadeas; good translation, I agree!

sabda-jnananupâtî vastu-sunyo vikalpah

Conceptualization derives from linguistic knowledge, not contact with real things.

It's really amazing how utterly efficient, precise and accurate works such as the Yoga Sutras and the Shiva Sutras are.

I'm so grateful that the ancient sages created them, and that we're able to benefit from their timeless wisdom now.

It's also both inspirational and reassuring to see that people back then dealt with exactly the same ego-mind stuff that we all do today, and that the way to liberation from the dark dreams of ego-mind was clearly marked, even at that time (today, we just have a lot more access to a lot more information and practices, but the general trajectory to liberation, and the fundamental reality of liberation - is ever the same now).

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on May 29 2010 7:11:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  8:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1.21 For those who seek liberation wholeheartedly, realization is near.

1.22 How near depends on whether the practice is mild, moderate, or intense.

1.23 Realization may also come if one is oriented toward the ideal of pure awareness, Isvara.

1.24 Isvara is a distinct, incorruptible form of pure awareness, utterly independent of cause and effect, and lacking any store of latent impressions.

Thanks tadeas. This is one of the clearest translations I have come across. The above verses give similar directions to what is found in other scriptures like the Bible, the Quaran and the Bhagavad Gita where concentration on the Infinite is prescribed as one of the practices leading to liberation. Only that is not possible for most as it is hard to be oriented towards something that is beyond the mind and comes after a certain period of practice once the heart chakra is opened and synchronised sufficiently. Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God?
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  9:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this, tadeas

I haven't read through it all, but the lengthy Sanskrit-English glossary at the end alone is a treasure trove!

Awesome.

Love
cosmic

Edited by - cosmic on May 29 2010 9:34:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000