Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 any mental health practioners out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  12:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The past few months my sensitivity has grown tremendously, directly as a result of quite a bit of spiritual practice. I'm so much more aware of the subtle levels of existence and almost feel vunerable to some of the grosser more negative types of energies.

I'm about to start an intership at a local mental health facility in about a month and had a few questions, particularily to those with some experience in this particular field.

Many of the clients that I will be dealing with will be psychotic patients, ie. Schizophrenia, etc... I read a bit in regards to how some of these individuals might be havin premature kunalini awakenings and this is the result of their state.

As many of you know there is always some sort of a transmission that is occuring in any human interaction. Many of these individuals have a powerful almost overbearing presence and in the wake of my newfound sensitivity I wonder how it will effect me? How I can prepare myself in dealing with these individuals and whether I can protect myself somehow?

And I claim to be a staunce non-dualist;) Who I am on the ultimate level cannot be touched or manipulated, this I understand. However being on an energetic path to enlightenment I am curious as to what effect this might have.

Any and all feedback will be appreciated!

love,
j

Edited by - wakeupneo on May 24 2010 12:12:51 AM

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

From my experience(not as a medical personnel)from a spiritual view point.

Create a force field around you by mentally drawing a circle....mentally imagine your aura pushing out(it usually does this on its own depending on your meditational practices)

Mentally imbalanced patients can drain you.....physically
Remember you are in control......Do not spiritually connect to them until u understand what the problem is and how to assist them.

When u mentally connect focus on balancing their inner circuitry.....Don't get scared if they seem to start to tell you things bout yourself.....(they feed off fear) that's their tactics to get at you......

Have faith in God.....once you are doing something good........the rest will work on its own!

Avoid turning your back on any of them.....Some of them have tendency to get violent.

do not allow yourself to even think of being vulnerable to anything.......you are just more aware...that's normal

Meditate more.......be calm and I am confident you will do a great job

god bless you!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  1:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience as a therapist (not professional status) is that to work with people you develop an empathetic bond. If the bond is strong enough to be effective, ultimately you unearth those things within yourself which you have kept hidden (even from yourself.

During training we were warned that 'stuff will come up, so be prepared'. My first encounter with this effect was quite a shock and lead to my understanding that working with other people means you are really only working on yourself. Those things that you find in others are a natural reflection of your own illusiory self, but amplified and fed back.

To work with people at the level I do, which is only those with mild trauma and an intrest in self improvement I have to open myself fully. Holding back or ring fencing results in a no win scenario for both people.

The only energies you are vunerable to (in my humble opinion) are your own inherent weaknesses, even apparent strengths get shown for what they truly are which are heavily papered over cracks.

I suspect not all psychologists/psychiatrists will commit to this approach, they know it makes them vunerable so it's easier to stick to a system a bit like a soldier in battle. They effectively ring fence and withdraw from direct responses and just get on with the job of subscribing, questioning and listening. In one sense that protects them from the negative effects, in another sense it stops their own inner growth.

If you believe you are truly untouchable then you would quickly find out just how far from that perfect image you are when you open up to the responses of others. However, just like AYP, you need to self pace, take stock, move away when things get a little too hot and only engage again when you sort out your own thoughts. It's great self therapy and very rewarding.

After practising AYP for a while I find that I feel the pain of others without feeling it myself. My own wounds have healed so I can give unconditionally.

This is not an intellectual view, more about just how it is. If you feel vunerable then you should explore that fully.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be very cautious.

The nondual reality of the universe is only true from a particular perspective. In the everyday reality that we live in, people are capable of perpetrating emotional and physical acts of violence upon one another.

I have learned the (very, very) hard way that it is better to distance oneself from aggressive and obnoxious people. The light will always dispel the darkness, but the darkness is very powerful on this earth because it is in its own element here. Negative, aggressive people can and will harm you.

People with psychiatric problems may be more spiritually connected than the average person, but this by no means that they are spiritually advanced or spiritually aware, and it in no way implies that they are good people with good intentions.

In the end, however, it seems as if this is part of your path, and part of our jobs as humans is to bring light to the darkness. I do not mean to say that you should not work at this place, I only caution you to be very careful as you do it.

Best of luck
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My late wife and I worked professionally with mentally and emotionally ill clients for decades following our leaving the ashram 34 years ago. While I can vouch for the fact that they are, overall, draining, demanding and unpredictable, and can upset one's own balance and stability, one CAN maintain a sense of centered rightness regarding a mission toward this type of client. IF it is your dharma, then you can find that balance between giving what needs to be given to help them and keeping what needs to be kept in order to stay sane and healthy yourself. It's a balancing act that needs to be continuously reevaluated and reworked, and the drains and demands are like quicksand under your spiritual feet, so to speak. What helped us a LOT was... well, growing up, becoming adults, mature and self-sufficient enough that we could keep the two aspects of our lives separate, the personal and the professional. In our 20s and 30s, with small kids of our own thrown into the mix, it was much harder. As we got older and developed both our clinical skills and our relationship and decision-making abilities, it got easier and less destructive year by year. After about 10 years in the mental health field, we figured out that we were actually GETTING more back from it spiritually than we were giving--by serving our dharma, we managed to turn it upside down. Good luck, this is not an easy path to walk, but it can be very rewarding.
Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000