Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 Were most sages really just nuts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I had a thought a few months ago. I was thinking that maybe the strange behavior and stories about these great gurus and sages were really about people who were just suffering from mental illness, dementia, and other maladies. Meher Baba used to tend to people he called "Musts", those so far into unity that they were non-functioning. Maybe they were just nuts, too much yogic effort. The culture just interpreted them in a certain way.

If you ever spend time visiting people at nursing homes you see familiar behavior and even see some "positive" qualities like living in the Now. Yea, some live in the Now alright, they don't remember anything! Some contort and others talk to invisible people or are like babies. Sounds like tales of the esoteric forest.

Ah, just a dumb thought. Forget it. Obviously some were plain ole disturbed and partially. But, they used quirky behavior to show the truth.

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  03:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the whole point is to be out of your mind !!

Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  6:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Well, the whole point is to be out of your mind !!

Then we have many many many modern sages already!
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  9:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jo-self

I had a thought a few months ago. I was thinking that maybe the strange behavior and stories about these great gurus and sages were really about people who were just suffering from mental illness, dementia, and other maladies. Meher Baba used to tend to people he called "Musts", those so far into unity that they were non-functioning. Maybe they were just nuts, too much yogic effort. The culture just interpreted them in a certain way.

If you ever spend time visiting people at nursing homes you see familiar behavior and even see some "positive" qualities like living in the Now. Yea, some live in the Now alright, they don't remember anything! Some contort and others talk to invisible people or are like babies. Sounds like tales of the esoteric forest.

Ah, just a dumb thought. Forget it. Obviously some were plain ole disturbed and partially. But, they used quirky behavior to show the truth.

Ultimately, I guess it depends who you're talking about, sage-wise.

For instance, sages like Ramakrishna and Ramana Maharshi both did and said some strange things, especially by today's standard / "Western" standards (strangeness is 100% in the eye of the beholder/ eye of the culture) ... but ... like some of the "also-strange" Christian Mystics .. when you read their statements about consciousness/realization ... many of them are utterly lucid, clear and clearly speaking from experience.

And so, "just FYI". (A good benchmark is, I would say "world-rocking clarity in expositing realized consciousness" ... is probably a decent indicator of not being "just nuts" ... even if one's behavior is a bit ... unconventional ... at times.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on May 10 2010 9:51:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  06:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you are inside a room looking out it appears light. When you are outside a room looking in it appears dark.

Neither the room or you have changed, yet something changes.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  10:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman
Ultimately, I guess it depends who you're talking about, sage-wise.
And so, "just FYI". (A good benchmark is, I would say "world-rocking clarity in expositing realized consciousness" ... is probably a decent indicator of not being "just nuts" ... even if one's behavior is a bit ... unconventional ... at times.

I see what you mean. I was thinking though more radically. Some sages acted strange, like living on piles of excrement "as teaching device", and I thought, maybe this is just the extreme case of a type of mental illness that is usually kept in check or, since lifespan was so short before, rarely seen. It could even be viral or a prion disease. Maybe Shakipat is just like passing the flu. Only one in a million are susceptible.

I know this is not the case. It would make a cool novel.

Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  4:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently I'm not the only one to wonder about this topic. See for instance this thread: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3451
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000