Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Active Concentration vs. "Favoring"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  05:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
During Deep Meditation I get swarmed by torrents of thoughts and when I notice I'm lost I go back to the mantra - that's okay. But the most prevalent state is one in which the surface mind repeats the mantra while the rest of the mind indulges in the thoughts (and I'm aware of both) and I feel like I would have to exert myself or assume a more active concentration in order to stay with the sound of the mantra with more than just my surface mind.

My question is: Where is the balance? How much of it is a conscious endeavour to stay with the mantra and how much of it is simply letting it unfold without striving?

Sometimes I feel as if it's the inner tamas (inertia) acting up during DM and that I should attempt to overcome it by concentrating harder. It almost feels as if I'm too lazy in the Deep Meditation.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Love and Light.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  09:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this reply from Yogani will help.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3932#34060
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by skorpion63

The thing is my mind never goes away from the mantra so there is no question of bringing it back. Does this mean i am doing something wrong or is it not working for me?

It is fine. The fact that you notice the "mind never going away from the mantra" is a thought other than the mantra, right? This is normal. When noticed, just easily favor the mantra over that or any thought. There can be mantra and thoughts mixed together, with the mantra in the background or foreground. It doesn't matter. The procedure stays the same. We never force, just gently favor according to the procedure.

The mantra does not have to be a clear mental pronunciation. In a given session, or over a series of sessions, it will naturally change as purification and opening occur in the nervous system. There is nothing to monitor or judge about it. Monitoring the progress of meditation while doing it is not meditation. We easily favor the mantra over the monitoring. In time, it becomes an easy habit -- it is the habit of stillness we are cultivating. Whenever other thoughts occur, like "I am thinking the mantra all the time," just ease back to the mantra. This can be in a very faint and fuzzy place, and then gone to pure bliss consciousness...

You are doing very well. In some time, the process of daily deep meditation will settle in, and you will notice its affects more and more in your normal daily activity. Carry on, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

It really is not about concentration, more about letting go... letting go the control of making the mantra be any way that it is not happening naturally... if it is there with thoughts and you realize there are thoughts, just go back to the mantra. If the mantra is going on with thoughts constantly, then at one point you realize this is happening, put your attention on the mantra. Just realize, there is a split second between the point you were saying the mantra and thoughts together and the point when you realize you that the thoughts and mantra going on at the same time... that split second you touched silence. This constant dipping into silence will eventually help us access the silence more and more.

Maybe this lesson of Yogani's will help:
Lesson 159 - Q&A – Too many thoughts in meditation?
quote:
Thoughts are a normal part of meditation. They come as obstructions are being released in the nervous system. If you meditate much longer than 20 minutes, you will be releasing too much in one session, and that is the cause of the irritability and headaches. So, go back to 20 minutes and follow the procedure for easily coming back to mantra whenever you realize you are off it. Once you begin meditation, if you have nothing but thoughts for the whole time, that is okay. It is what needs to happen right then as your nervous system is purifying deep inside. It will not always be like that. Experiences change over time. Right now, your experience is thoughts -- which is release of lots of deep obstructions. Good things are happening, but a bit too much with such long meditations.

Wish you all the best ConsciousEvolution... and welcome to the AYP forum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000