Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  11:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In the root lock do we contract the navel, sex organ and rectum? This is the root lock used in Kundalini Yoga.

Anyways this is what I;ve been doing and have had issues with proper breathing. On the the inhalation I'm holding the lock but since my navel is pulled it, I'm unable to fill my abdomen with air properly. So on the inhale it's stickly in the chest, the correct way on the inhale should be down to up. Unfortunately I'm not able to because of the lock.

Any and all response would be appreciated.

J

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  11:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What I've been doing is waiting to contract the navel, until after the abdomen is filled with air.
Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  04:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes. i have teh same problem too. in the root lock, teh navel is not contracted. teh lower abdomen is i guess. n i think different people do it differently. even though the navel aint acontracted; but teh lower part of teh lower abdomen is (alongwith pullin the root lock inside if u get wat i intend to) the problem of fillin teh adbomen fully with air is an issue. i wish yoganiji would address this or anyone who can help.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  04:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

In AYP there is no contraction of the navel in root lock (mulabandha). In fact the sex organs are not mentioned either in the description in the main lessons. It is a very light and gentle contraction of the anal sphincter muscle, creating a gentle pull upwards from there. So it will not interfere with your breathing in any way.

http://www.aypsite.org/55.html

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000